Flea market find
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Flea market find

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Flea market find

Can you help me identify this watch and give any advice on battery replacement and cleaning. Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images

tvterry1 and ArchieGoodwin like this.

Re: Flea market find

Its a Accutron M4 (1964) 'Swiss Chapter Ring' Style very similar to this pic. Battery is a 387s (or a 394/w spacer) for most Accutron 214s but it really depends if it even runs and the condition of the movement. That dial looks like it has seen better days and that is a major issue when restoring these watches (Long wait times on dial repair). I would certainly look into getting the movement serviced at the very least.

Name:  1a.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  73.6 KB
    ArchieGoodwin likes this.

Can a jeweler who sells Bulovas service this watch?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Rob22 View Post
    Can a jeweler who sells Bulovas service this watch?
    It depends on what you mean "SERVICE". They may be able to replace a battery but today's Bulova watches are completely different then the Accutron Tuning fork watches of the 60's and 70's so it would depend on what the jeweler has as far as old school knowledge of tuning fork watches. Some may have the ability but most won't. You would have to ask them. Its probably better to just send it to a place that specializes in Accutron Tuning fork repair.

East Coast USA Accutron Repair Guy: Starfindings (Ernie Goldman)

Excellent Thailand Repair Guy: Rob Berkavicious http://members.iinet.net.au/~fotoplot/accrepth.htm

Is replacing the battery something I need specialized knowledge to do or is it just a simple battery replacement? Thanks for all your help minuteman

Its fairly simple battery replacement.

Accutron 214 Battery Installation

Another question. At the 6 o'clock position it says USA so is this a USA made Swiss movement? I've been researching and one site indicates the serial number on the back indicates a Swiss made watch but then the USA on the face indicates a US made watch. What do you think? Thanks

Put in the new battery and it doesn't work. The guy at the flea market lied.

Energizer 387S or 394 with plastic spacer from a 387S, place with positive side down into the watch, leaving the plain, negative side up. If the watch doesn't start up immediately, give it a sharp whack on the side of the case. This can assist to "jumpstart" an older piece.

Eric
    ________

Quote Originally Posted by Rob22 View Post
    Put in the new battery and it doesn't work. The guy at the flea market lied.
    Le temps est un grand maître, dit-on; le malheur est qu'il soit un maître inhumain qui tue ses élèves.
    Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils. ~Louis Hector Berlioz

387s and tried the sharp whack. Could hear the tuning fork saw the second hand move a little then nothing. The battery I pulled out was corroded. I tried wiping out the battery compartment still nothing. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information