• 2 Post By pickle puss
  • 1 Post By FarmKid
  • 1 Post By diver321
  • 1 Post By espiga
  • 2 Post By sailon01
  • 1 Post By minuteman62

Thread: Most iconic Bulovas?

Most iconic Bulovas?

I was wondering what would be considered the most iconic Accutron/Bulova/Caravelle models. Most of the items in the Heritage reissue pile, so the Computron, the Oceanographer G and V (Devil Diver reissue) the Start and Stripes Chronograph, the Accutron Spaceview, Astronaught, and Alpha, the Caravelle Sea Hunters, what else am I missing? Give some logic for your choices. What are the things that Bulova did first or did best?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Most iconic Bulovas?

I would think the Precisionist chronograph has an iconic look and put the brand back on the map almost 10 years ago. It is still in production in pretty much the same size and with the same dial and features it had when it was introduced.

To this day not a watch on the market can do what it does.

Spaceview fits the "Iconic" bill.
    bsshog40 and tvterry1 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

From a modern sense, the CURV Chronographs are amazing and might be "iconic" 20-30 years from now. For vintage, the Lone Eagle has an amazing story behind it. There are many amazing Art Deco watches from the mid-20s thru 30s. I wonder if Bulova could take a rectangular watch from their Classic Line-up and embellish it in a Lone Eagle/Art Deco but modern kind of way. The challenge is that I wouldn't want it to take on a "Steam-punk" vibe.
    Benjamin Barrera likes this.

I would say the space view or the super Seville.
    tmathes likes this.

At the present moment I think:

Precisionist and Oceanographer, however there is a long history behind Bulova, this will need a research.

Pictures added for testimony.

Best regards.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by espiga; 3 Weeks Ago at 16:05.
    tvterry1 likes this.

The Super Seville isnít nearly as well regarded as the Rolex Day Date or Date Just. Would we call it an Homage watch, or a rip-off?

I think the Lone Eagle is pretty iconic, but there are a few other brands who have similar styles.

Precisionist and Curve might last into the future, I donít think Precisionist is going to have the staying power that Accutron did, particularly as the Spaceviews gave the view of the movement. I donít think the Accutron II Spaceview will have the same appeal, or the longevity. The movement, while good, isnít gaining as much traction among the usual purchasers. And isnít the Precisionist movement discontinued, and the new movement doesnít officially qualify as a HAQ.

The Oceanographer/Devil Divers are different, to be sure, with the lume dots as unique as they are, but could we also not say itís a Submariner copy? How would it be differentiated? Do the hour markers make it distinctive enough?

I'm not sure the Super Seville is "iconic" as it is a homage to the day/date but its a heck of a nice watch.
    Name:  Bulova SS silver.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  1.36 MB
    tvterry1 and ArchieGoodwin like this.
    "Everyone gets everything he wants. I wanted a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one"

Quote Originally Posted by tayloreuph View Post
    The Super Seville isn’t nearly as well regarded as the Rolex Day Date or Date Just. Would we call it an Homage watch, or a rip-off?

I think the Lone Eagle is pretty iconic, but there are a few other brands who have similar styles.

Precisionist and Curve might last into the future, I don’t think Precisionist is going to have the staying power that Accutron did, particularly as the Spaceviews gave the view of the movement. I don’t think the Accutron II Spaceview will have the same appeal, or the longevity. The movement, while good, isn’t gaining as much traction among the usual purchasers. And isn’t the Precisionist movement discontinued, and the new movement doesn’t officially qualify as a HAQ.

The Oceanographer/Devil Divers are different, to be sure, with the lume dots as unique as they are, but could we also not say it’s a Submariner copy? How would it be differentiated? Do the hour markers make it distinctive enough?

Nope the Precisionist movement is still produced and packaged in pretty much the same configuration as when it was introduced, only the marketing specs have changed. Not sure if a whole lot of people care about or heard of HAQ. They now say it is way more accurate than a normal quartz watch, that's good enough for most.

I'm not sure but hasn't the Precisionist already been in production longer than the Spaceview?

Quote Originally Posted by wbird View Post

I'm not sure but hasn't the Precisionist already been in production longer than the Spaceview?
    Not quite:
    Bulova Precisionist is set to debut at BaselWorld in March 2010 and will be available at retail starting Fall 2010. (So almost 9 years of Production)

Bulova Accutron Spaceview: 1960-1977 (So 17 years of production).
    tayloreuph likes this.

Thread Information