1957 Bulova Minute Man. Pics and story.
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: 1957 Bulova Minute Man. Pics and story.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

1957 Bulova Minute Man. Pics and story.

A week or so ago TheInterchange posted a picture of a Bulova that was passed down from his family. He said that with 16mm lugs, an all gold case, and at 27mm wide it was a no go for him and he would be passing it along. I instantly dashed to P.M. and inquire if he would be interested in selling it to me. We reached an agreed upon price and the next day it was on it's way to me.

What started as just another Bulova to add to my collection became something much more.

When I received the piece I instantly wound it up, set it to the right time and got it on leather. I didn't have a 16mm strap on hand other than a Bond nato so I found a 18mm leather with gold buckle and made it fit. With the leather of the band being extremely thin it was malleable. Making for a quick and easy task. However, I ended up admiring my new acquisition for a bit longer than I thought... Funny how we can lose track of time when we get lost in our watch. And, due to being mesmerized I found myself late for a meeting. Oops!

During said meeting I kept rolling back my Abus to glance at my new Bulova. So much so that the woman running the meeting stopped talking and asked me if I had some other pressing matter that I needed to be at. I informed I didn't and that I was just admiring my new watch. She then told me to stop and pay attention to the most boring powerpoint presentation of my life. Upon arriving back home I fled to google. Trying to learn as much as I could about my new piece. Started off with only the knowledge that L7 on the caseback meant that it was a 1957 model. So I entered 1957 bulova into the google machine and searched through page after page of google image results looking for a match. I came so close so many times but on each picture at least one detail was off. It was frustrating and slow work. Eventually I stumbled upon this advert from a 1958 toronto ad. Thinking HAZA! Found at last!

Name:  Bulova_AD_1958_6b.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  483.9 KB

But then I realized that the advert stated 15 jewels and mine was an 11AC movement! 11ACs are 17 jewels! Frustration returned. I thought all hope was lost. Until I had a stroke of sheer brilliance. I googled 11ac 15 jewels. It directed me to a page where Bulova aficionados were all having a laugh at a incorrect toronto advertisement! The very one that led me to find the model name of my watch.

On that same page was this advertisement. Now I had two things proving the watch I had was a Minute Man from 1957. A 1956 christmas advert.

Name:  K1 Dec. 1956.jpg
Views: 1094
Size:  79.3 KB

Upon learning the watches model name it went from a beautiful vintage watch in exquisite condition to a meaningful timepiece.
    My time serving in the 321st missile squadron is coming close to an end and I'll be moving on to bigger and better things. And, hopefully greener pastures. I had been researching a piece to mark my leaving and the beginning of a new journey. This piece was exactly what I was searching for.

I joined the airforce mainly due to my great grandfather Jack Herrington. An army air corps guy who joined up at 17 to serve and protect the nation in WWII. Papa Jack wore his issued bulova until the day he passed. He was a great man who understood the meaning of integrity, hard work, and compassion. I've spent most my life striving to be half the man he was. So at 18 I went to my local recruiter and signed my life away for the first time. I've spent these last two years supporting the Minute Man IIIs and the Nuclear Surety mission. So the Minute man Bulova is the perfect piece to celebrate the history behind my enlistment and the leaving of my first squadron. It is a piece that I will continue to keep in good working order in the hopes that my children will recieve it one day and understand the signifance and meaning behind it the way I understand the importance behind My great grandfathers Bulova.

I couldn't be happier with this piece. And though it may be small for most wrists. It sits just about perfectly on my dainty ones.

I plan to have it completely serviced as soon as I find myself a local watchmaker I can trust with the work.

Thank you Randy for allowing me to have this piece in my home.

Now for pics!

IMG_1788 by H3RRINGTON, on Flickr

IMG_1784 by H3RRINGTON, on Flickr

IMG_1780 by H3RRINGTON, on Flickr

IMG_1777 by H3RRINGTON, on Flickr

IMG_1776 by H3RRINGTON, on Flickr

IMG_1771 by H3RRINGTON, on Flickr

IMG_1770 by H3RRINGTON, on Flickr

IMG_1769 by H3RRINGTON, on Flickr

IMG_1768 by H3RRINGTON, on Flickr

IMG_1764 by H3RRINGTON, on Flickr

IMG_1761 by H3RRINGTON, on Flickr

IMG_1760 by H3RRINGTON, on Flickr

IMG_1759 by H3RRINGTON, on Flickr

IMG_1746 by H3RRINGTON, on Flickr

IMG_1739 by H3RRINGTON, on Flickr

Thank you for reading!
    Last edited by H3RRINGTON; May 11th, 2013 at 07:57.

Banned

Re: 1957 Bulova Minute Man. Pics and story.

And here's this pic. Just for fun.

IMG_0385 by H3RRINGTON, on Flickr

Thanks for sharing. Beautiful story and beautiful pics. This is what makes this forum great! Cheers!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    H3RRINGTON likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by danja View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Beautiful story and beautiful pics. This is what makes this forum great! Cheers!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Thank you! And welcome to f71 danja!
    danja likes this.

Lovely watch you got there! Thanks for share it with us and the history behind.
    H3RRINGTON likes this.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TimeToLive View Post
    Lovely watch you got there! Thanks for share it with us and the history behind.
    Thanks for the compliment brother!

Very nice - these old Bulova's are great!
    H3RRINGTON likes this.

Beautiful watch.

One of the first ones I bought was a vintage Gruen with a similar size/shape. I just wish I had the wrist-size to pull it off, because it's just getting dusty in a drawer right now.
    H3RRINGTON likes this.
    Wrist size: 6.75"

Current: Nomos Tangente 38 Datum -- Omega ST 368.1501.B00 "Seamaster 120" -- Breitling A74380 Colt II SuperQuartz -- Hamilton H64514181 "Flight Timer" -- ​Orient 2EV03001W "President" Day-Date

Former: Aevig Blue Huldra -- Zeno-USA ZN-001 "Explorer" -- WUS CMWF 2013 ST-5 Forum Watch -- WUS F71 AWFLE Forum Watch -- WUS CMWF 2012 Dual Crown Forum Watch #007 --Perpetual J-01 "Jump Hour" --Seiko SNZF17 "Baby Sumo" Dive-style -- Seiko SNK807 "Military" Pilot -- Smiths PRS-25 Everest -- Victorinox Chrono Classic 1/100

Very cool story.. it's funny when sometimes you can look at the watch and see so much more then the dial, case, movement or the brand. Wish you all the best in future life endeavors!
    H3RRINGTON likes this.
    Cheers,
    Josip

Everything lined up perfectly for this one, I'm glad the watch went to an appreciative new owner! As I told you, Joshua, I thought of you when I saw it. I usually don't go in for a sappy line like "it was meant to be"... but in this case, I rather think it was! There was too much "right" about this for it not to be so! I'm honored to be a part of a deal like this.

Things like this are why I love /f71.

Randy
    H3RRINGTON and J.W. like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information