The 2019 Watch Purchasing Abstinence Club (WPAC) - Page 32
Like Tree19722Likes

Thread: The 2019 Watch Purchasing Abstinence Club (WPAC)

Page 32 of 796 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 82 132 532 ... LastLast

Re: The 2019 Watch Purchasing Abstinence Club (WPAC)

Quote Originally Posted by cortman View Post
    I'm like Hornet on this. I really dislike damaging my watches cosmetically. It was tough for me to accept the first scratch on the bezel of my $500 Steinhart, I don't think I have the psychology to blithely accept beating up a Rolex or something expensive and get excited about its new "patina".
    Also, I like variety, and no single watch makes me feel like I want to wear only it from now on.
    Thus if given the choice between my whole collection and one watch equal to its value, I'd say no pretty much every time.
    I'd struggle with getting damage to my £300 seiko turtle, I spent my hard earned money on it and I like to take care of things that I own. Again I love the stories of some old guy who's had a Rolex GMT that he's worn for 40 years and it shows all the passage of those years, but f*@k I don't want to wear a beaten up watch!
    Dub Rubb and cortman like this.
    Current Collection: / Oris 65 Diver 40mm / Eterna1960 Dress Watch / Seiko SRPC41 Mini Turtle PADI / Helson Shark Diver 38mm Titanium / NTH Nacken Modern Black /

WPAC Member #01

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan247 View Post
    Once you cross a certain threshold in terms of items value you insure it. If I were to get mugged wearing my Black Bay that would suck, but it’s insured so I’d get another. Granted if I’m going to an area where there is a high crime rate common sense would say wear something more disposable.

Of course everyone has a comfort line in spending on anything, and it’s not always tied to income but more so to principal. I get that. What I’m saying is what’s the difference if that money is spread out over a dozen items or a few? Is it the psychological value of the object? Is it the principle of spending X on a single item?

For me there is no difference. My collection is far from high end, especially compared to many here in F71, you among them. My two most expensive pieces total $4600 retail price. If I spent that money on 10 watches or 2 I still spent the same money. Whether those watches are worth what I spent is debatable and up to each individual, but the cost isn’t.
    ......horses for courses isn't it? You're happy with that, but I'm not. Live and let live brother.
    Current Collection: / Oris 65 Diver 40mm / Eterna1960 Dress Watch / Seiko SRPC41 Mini Turtle PADI / Helson Shark Diver 38mm Titanium / NTH Nacken Modern Black /

WPAC Member #01

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet99 View Post
    SRP775 has arrived and I'm very happy to have one back . Have already ordered a DLW ceramic bezel insert, DLW double domed crystal and an Uncle Seiko Z199 bracelet to modify this beauty.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Just a friendly reminder to swap the crystal BEFORE the bezel insert! (Shattered pieces of ceramic strewn about my table are still fresh in my mind). I think you will really like the ceramic from DLW. They look amazing in person.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    I must have missed this - a purchase - wow really setting the example there buddy. Thought we weren’t parading new shinys here this year?
    I'd said about this being incoming Rusty in my first post, see below.......

I'm in for WPAC 2019.

I thought it would be a worthwhile exercise for WPAC 2019 to firstly look back over 2018 and try and perform a bit of an autopsy on what happened. I started 2018 with the following watches:

Oris 65 40mm, Eterna dress watch (heirloom), Squale 30 ATMOS Pan Am, Seiko, SBDC051 (modern 62mas interpretation), Squale 30 ATMOS Horizon Ceramica

Sold both the Squales and bought two dress watches: Seiko mini GS SARX035 and Archimede 1950's. I'd had a notion that if I had specific watches for work that I would only ever wear for work this would free up the other watches and I'd be less inclined to flip/buy because I didn't wear them as much. The truth was that I got bored of both watches and not having some variety during the week and being honest I'm just not a dress watch person. So eventually both of those got sold.

Along the way there was also an Armida 62mas homage and a Seiko mini turtle. Neither lasted very long.

It culminated in purchasing a MKII key west, which was intended as a an exit watch, but that didn't work out. I think that I found the MKII disappointing in the end, well it's just another sub homage and whilst a nice one, it wasn't as special as I thought it would be. The issue I had with the SELs and getting the spring bars correctly seated was a surprise and a disappointment considering the much vaunted quality of MKII products. I think that this experience woke me up to several things, first that I'd finally exhausted the need to have sub homages and second that I no longer wanted homages, I want something original and preferably with heritage…….

2018 conclusion: very poor performance from a WPAC perspective and a -D mark for the year. From a non-WPAC perspective I think that I learnt some important lessons for myself.

OK so here is the state of my collection at the end of 2018:

Eterna dress watch:

Oris 65 40mm:

Up front before committing to WPAC 2019 I'm declaring that for 2019 this will increase by two that I'm buying based on a very generous Christmas cheque from one of my relatives. That and I've come to the conclusion that I can't live with just one watch (considering I don't really wear the Eterna), so I'm buying a Steinhart Titanium 500 GMT and a Seiko turtle SRP775. These are both watches I've owned before (well it was the non gmt Steinhart) and liked, but sold. OK folks say you sold ‘em for a reason so don't repeat the mistake, but I think that the mistake was selling them simply because I wanted to get the next shiny watch rather than keeping them and appreciating what I had.

Seiko SRP775 is a classic dive watch and comes with the rich Seiko heritage in dive watches. It also is cheap and 2018 taught me a big lesson regarding the amount of money I'm willing/comfortable spending on watches and the SRP775 is just perfectly priced and gives huge bang for your buck. As well there are opportunities to modify it and create something more unique and suited to my tastes. Despite the big diameter the lug to lug measurement is within what I can wear.

Steinhart Titanium 500 GMT is an original design, it's not a homage as most of their other models are. As well it is just bloody good looking and is titanium which I like and have a connection with via my profession. I love the tool look and the lack of any polishing and I'm always a sucker for a GMT. No modifications but it will get treated to straps……..

This will bring me up to 4 watches in total. One dress, two divers and a GMT.

My intentions for 2019 are as follows:

1. No new purchases and I'm excluding myself from the exception rule.
    2. Get into straps for all the watches.
    3. Light modifications for the SRP775.
    4. Wear my Eterna more.

Sent from my SM-T560 using Tapatalk

WPAC Member #01

Quote Originally Posted by Dub Rubb View Post
    Just a friendly reminder to swap the crystal BEFORE the bezel insert! (Shattered pieces of ceramic strewn about my table are still fresh in my mind). I think you will really like the ceramic from DLW. They look amazing in person.

I'll be getting a non-ham fisted professional to do the work!
    jon_huskisson likes this.

WPAC Member #01

I'll be getting a non-ham fisted professional to do the work!
    Hey! I resemble that remark!

Hornet99 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dub Rubb View Post
    Hey! I resemble that remark!

Me too.......

WPAC Member #01

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Normally we bash
    You intend to purchase a watch

However you will have to save (how long for)?
    This will stop you buying the 90 odd cheapies a year you’ve been doing
    I’d say as s one off - go for it. No bash from me.

Good plan.

Also nobody has fallen off the wagon yet - well done all on week 1 !!!!

Edit. - spend your time researching your chosen model to death. What celebs have owned one. What films has it appeared in. Graph put the rrp over 20 yrs. whatever it takes to stop you looking at those £20 watches.

Last question. Where would you buy it - is there an AD near you - if not go plan a trip to try it on.

For what it’s worth I think you chose a great model. Remains to be seen if you pull it off.

Good luck
    Saving time depends on how much I save each month, duh, say $500 a month for 10 months or $250 a month for 20 months. $150 per month....etc. I have never been a saver nor could I ever seem to save in the past. I too agree that I may not enjoy having $5000 on my wrist and that may be too high a budget for one watch. Saving itself, however, is not really a bad idea for me. In the past it has always been easier to spend credit than cash but now that I am finally out of debt I no longer think in terms of credit buying as an option. (enabling)

So I do have one final purchase in mind as I am currently high bidder on the Bulova snorkel reissue 96b210. Should I win this (auction ends tomorrow) then I would have a three watch rotation for the year and no more buying allowed. Plus then I would have watches with lugs 20mm and 22mm to utilize the many straps I have accumulated in those sizes. The Bertucci and Momentum being 22mm the Bulova would give me the additional option use the 20mm straps as well as the really nice coffin bracelet it comes on.

As to where I would buy most likely not an ad as I don't have any around here. Most likely a grey market seller I have dealt with in the past such as Ashford or Jomashop. That's where I found the Rolex deal but actually spending that much.......well that would be a first for me, and honestly unlikely.

I now spend an inordinate amount of time researching and reviewing as well as trying out different watches. A pass time that has been cheaper than regular theater movie going, something I do not do anymore.

Another thought I had was that my son could sell the Rolex to fund my burial expenses which could be required at any time.

Thinking about fear of loss or damage, robbery, theft and even death can quickly rob us of joy - worry is the enemy and greed is it's fuel. We are only temporary custodians of all we accumulate anyway. So we must each find a balance of risk/reward in our lives. For example probably not a good idea to get bloody drunk wearing a $5K watch, eh?

Well UPS just pulled out of our driveway having left the Momentum on my doorstep........
    Last edited by usclassic; January 5th, 2019 at 22:09.

There's a carrera twin time being sold on sales thread. Unfortunately, it is considerably beaten up (if only it weren't that beaten up). Fortunately, the watch itself talk me out from buying it.

Sent from my Redmi 5 Plus using Tapatalk
    Hornet99 likes this.

Almost traded the moonmoon

Gave it another road test and decided I can’t part with it
    Tres likes this.

Page 32 of 796 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 82 132 532 ... LastLast

Thread Information