The 2020 Watch Purchasing Abstinence Club (WPAC).
Like Tree3447Likes

Thread: The 2020 Watch Purchasing Abstinence Club (WPAC).

Page 1 of 175 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thumbs Up The 2020 Watch Purchasing Abstinence Club (WPAC).

The 2020 Watch Purchasing Abstinence Club (WPAC)

Welcome to the 2020 Watch Purchasing Abstinence Club, otherwise known as WPAC.

This is the 4th year of WPAC, which was started at the beginning of 2017 as I was in a spiral of buying, flipping and buying again. Sometimes I was looking at the next purchase before I'd even received the last one I'd ordered, it was a little crazy and not exactly healthy. As well I wasn't putting much thought into my purchases so very few became long term keepers. Part of the problem, for me, is here on WUS you're exposed to new shiny watches all the time and the constant new purchases you see create a norm of buying. Yes, I could just stop visiting WUS, but I like watches and I like a lot of the threads on here……

OK, so what is the point of WPAC? Well it's a tiny corner of F71 that is a safe place for those that are intending to abstain from buying watches over the rest of 2020. Yes we still love watches, but as we all know the exposure to shiny stuff on WUS can be overwhelming and somewhat of an enabler and for those with a weaker will (that'll include me…..) this is a place to get help. Here you can take solace from like minded f71 brethren and get support and encouragement. We can even swap and share coping strategies for getting through what will be a tough time.

WPAC has been successful to varying degrees, but it's certainly helped me focus on my buying habits and curb those, along with helping to understand what really suits me in watches. OK, so I still have weak moments but I'm only human. I know that this has helped others, so maybe it can help you.

For the WPAC regulars (including the lurkers) we all know the SOP for this, but here are the rules for 2020.....

Ground rules:

1. Abstain from buying any watches for the whole of 2020.
    2. Pre-orders, even if delivery is in 2021, still count as a purchase.
    3. Trades are acceptable but must not result in any $$$ spent to make up the difference.
    4. New straps, parts and tools are acceptable (buying all the parts separately to make a watch is not!).
    5. Sales are okay but $$$ can not be reappointed to a new purchase.
    6. Watches given to you as a gift are acceptable but the one in one out rule applies (see rule 9).
    7. Purchasing for profit is allowed, but watches purchased to make a profit shouldn't be worn or find their way into your watchbox. If they do then it's back to the one in one out rule. And we don't want to see them!
    8. One exception allowed for the year, but on the basis of one in one out. The exception is intended to cover weakness of will and also that occasion where there is something special that you've been saving or looking for available. If you can avoid using it then great.
    9. If you fall from grace and succumb to temptation then the one in one out rule applies (applies to pre-orders as well), e.g. one of the existing watches must be sold/gifted to make room.
    10. All members to post SOTC (with photo of all watches) and state their intentions for 2020. This needs to be your first post please!
    11. Please participate in the thread!
    12. Bashing* of any potential purchases is mandatory, but let's keep it funny. Nuclear level bashing is required for any actual purchases.

* - bashing has become a divisive issue in previous threads and it needs to be made clear upfront that bashing (meaning finding faults with a potential purchase in any way possible) is perfectly acceptable behaviour here and is encouraged. If your fragile ego can't take a little bit of abuse at an inanimate object that you desire then you're either too sensitive or in the wrong place. Having said that we need to keep it within the bounds of reasonable behaviour…….

If you've got a different goal, but it's aligned with the spirit of WPAC then feel free to join in and tell us what you're intending. And let's be clear here, neither I or anyone else can stop you purchasing a watch, it's up to you. WPAC is more of a state of mind than strictly keeping to some rules. This isn't a deadly serious thread it's intended to be fun and for those who really do want to try and abstain…….

.......and if you do have a slightly different goal just expect to be treated as if you are abstaining, I'm not going to be remember every person's little permutation of the rules .

Good luck to everyone for 2020 .
    Last edited by Hornet99; December 31st, 2019 at 14:05.
    Current Collection: / Oris 65 Diver 40mm / Eterna1960 Dress Watch / Helson Shark Diver 38mm Titanium / NTH Näcken Modern Black / NTH Barracuda Vintage Black /

WPAC Member #01

Re: The 2020 Watch Purchasing Abstinence Club (WPAC).

Thanks for setting the good ship WPAC sailing again Hornet. I haven’t bought any in 2020 yet - do I get a ??

Name:  80739914_1036018990079874_2316086940006350848_n.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  101.6 KB

SOTC as of right now. From left to right:

Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY1112: this is my current daily driver, and I've worn this every day since about May. I believe this is the only watch I intend to keep in my collection this year onwards. This piece is very near an dear to me, having been gifted to me last year. It's also an amazing beater piece despite the brand and price. I can wear this in almost any environment and feel safe and secure knowing that it can withstand any knocks while also fitting into more formal environments (yes, it's not a dress watch, but I don't typically find myself in places where you're looked down upon for not wearing a dress watch with a suit).

G-Shock GA-100MB: this is the oldest watch in my collection, despite having only had it for about 4 years. I used to wear this piece nearly everyday, but I've struggled to find times to wear it. This is a piece I'd happily part with and might choose to sell.

Timex Expedition Scout: I've had this watch for a while and it's always been a looker. The watch is also in surprisingly good shape for where I've taken it and how long I've had it. That said, I think my time with this watch is over and I'm willing to part ways with it. Due to the fact that these go for like $50, I'm not expecting really anything in terms of money and would happily take even $20 if I could get that haha. I might just give it away since that'd be easier.

Seiko 5 SNKA01K1: this here is my first automatic timepiece, and of course, it had to be a Seiko 5. I actually really like the dial of this piece, it's beautiful under direct sunlight. That said, the bracelet is no fun and I've found it hard to wear cheap quality bracelets since I got my Aquaracer.

Parnis Batman GMT: this is my first (and probably last) Chinese watch. It was nice for the first month, but then I started to encounter a lot of problems with it and have not really worn it much since. It's a shame since I actually really liked the design and the GMT feature was very handy at the time. This was also the first piece where I really tried experimenting with straps, I took it off the bracelet (with which I encountered problems from the very first day) and put it on a leather strap followed by the NATO it's currently on. For the price, I've got to admit it was a fun watch, but no more cheap Chinese homage watches for me. At least I know I could totally rock a Rolex GMT if I had one!

Casio F-91WM-9ADF: I truly believe that the F91W is a piece that everyone needs to experience once, much like how us watch aficionados consider the SKX007 and Speedmaster "staple" pieces, the F91W is an extremely budget friendly staple piece. I had the original (black case) one many years ago, but regretted losing it so much that I bought another one! Despite the low price, I think there's a lot to appreciate in terms of design and the overall functionality of the timepiece. This is an ever-dependable watch that will fit to just about anyone's wrist, whether it's a 5 year old girl or a retired 75 year old man.

My goals: This year I'm aiming to significantly downsize my collection. I'll be moving countries halfway through the year (back home) and by then would like to only have my Tag and F91W with me when I move. Plus, since I'd like my next piece to be quite a nice watch, I don't think I'll be spending serious amounts of money next year. Makes being a WPAC member easy! I guess we'll just see how it goes!
    Current Collection:
    Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY1112
    Parnis Batman GMT
    Seiko 5 SNKA01K1
    Casio F-91WM-9ADF
    G-Shock GA100MB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

OK, so my aims for 2020 are as follows:

1. Put my money where my mouth is and stick to NO new purchases for the year.
    2. Reduce time spent on WUS.
    3. Appreciate what I have.
    4. Finally dispel from my mind the notion/desire to own a "named" luxury brand.
    5. Wear each watch for no less than a week.
    6. Make an effort to enjoy straps.

OK, so I did purchase another NTH sub (Barracuda Vintage Black) at the end of 2019, a late Xmas present to myself and sanctioned by the missus as a treat; this was one I'd sold when I got the Pelagos and really regretted selling it.

SOTC is this:

Oris 65 Diver 40mm
    Eterna 1960 Dress Watch
    Seiko SRPC41 Mini Turtle PADI
    Helson Shark Diver 38mm Titanium
    NTH Nacken Modern Black
    NTH Barracuda Vintage Black (not yet arrived)

Having said that I might just sell the Seiko……
    …….I know the whole Maria Kondo thing is slightly irritating, but someone in WPAC recently posted something similar in that if it doesn't give you joy get rid of it. Unfortunately the Seiko isn't giving me joy.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Current Collection: / Oris 65 Diver 40mm / Eterna1960 Dress Watch / Helson Shark Diver 38mm Titanium / NTH Näcken Modern Black / NTH Barracuda Vintage Black /

WPAC Member #01

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Thanks for setting the good ship WPAC sailing again Hornet. I haven’t bought any in 2020 yet - do I get a ??
    You get marks taken off Rusty. First post needs SOTC pic, see rule 10......

WPAC Member #01

Okay. Goals:
    - Really really try to NOT buy any watches.
    - Sell between 1 to 3 of the current collection.

SOTC:

(Preorder from pre-christmas): Zelos Mako v3 lume-dial, with bracelet.

[no pic]

(Recent last-minute-2019-arrival) Horloscaphe Fluide:

Name:  PC311477_01.jpg
Size:  497.0 KB

(Potentially on selling list) San Martin Damascus radiomir:

Name:  PB031306.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  658.7 KB

(Definitely on the selling list already) Aevig Huldra v2:

Name:  PC211389.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  546.7 KB

And lastly, the way-too-cheap-to-sell, lost-in-a-drawer-for-years, basic GShock 5600:

Name:  PC251419.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  1.04 MB
    Outgoing: Obris Morgan Seastar 60s
    Wearing: E.C.A Calypso Sport, Islander ISL-09
    + always on wrist: Fitbit Inspire HR

Doublepost.

instead: Hornet, saw your goal to get into straps. I'd really advise you get at least one "top tier" strap, from Rich at Toshi Straps (toshi-straps.co.uk); they are really expensive, but miles and miles above *anything* else.
    Hornet99 and ezcamper like this.
    Outgoing: Obris Morgan Seastar 60s
    Wearing: E.C.A Calypso Sport, Islander ISL-09
    + always on wrist: Fitbit Inspire HR

First time participating in WPAC, so here goes:

SOTC:

-Ball EMII Skindiver I
    -G-Shock G9300-1 Mudman
    -NTH DevilRay Turquoise (no date)
    -Omega Seamaster Professional GMT
    -Seiko SBDC065 "Great Blue Hole"
    -Seiko SBDC053 "62MAS lite"
    -Tissot T-Race quartz

Goals this year:

1. No impulsive sales of watches which leads to impulsive purchases (1 in 1 out).
    a. No selling to buy something only to realize I want to buy back what was originally sold.

2. Changing up my strap rotation more frequently as to keep from getting bored with my bracelets (although I do favor bracelets heavily).

3. Every time I have an impulse to buy a watch, buy a share of stock instead.

GLTA in 2020!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by lxnastynotch93; December 31st, 2019 at 19:15.

Quote Originally Posted by X2-Elijah View Post
    Okay. Goals:
    - Really really try to NOT buy any watches.
    - Sell between 1 to 3 of the current collection.

SOTC:

(Preorder from pre-christmas): Zelos Mako v3 lume-dial, with bracelet.

[no pic]

(Recent last-minute-2019-arrival) Horloscaphe Fluide:

Name:  PC311477_01.jpg
Size:  497.0 KB

(Potentially on selling list) San Martin Damascus radiomir:

Name:  PB031306.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  658.7 KB

(Definitely on the selling list already) Aevig Huldra v2:

Name:  PC211389.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  546.7 KB

And lastly, the way-too-cheap-to-sell, lost-in-a-drawer-for-years, basic GShock 5600:

Name:  PC251419.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  1.04 MB
    Considering that you don't have a big collection are you wise selling up to three? And I'm surprised at the Aevig being on the list...

WPAC Member #01

Quote Originally Posted by lxnastynotch93 View Post
    First time participating in WPAC, so here goes:

SOTC:

-Ball EMII Skindiver I
    -G-Shock G9300-1 Mudman
    -NTH DevilRay Turquoise (no date)
    -Omega Seamaster Professional GMT
    -Seiko SBDC065 "Great Blue Hole"
    -Seiko SBDC053 "62MAS lite"
    -Tissot T-Race quartz

Goals this year:

1. No impulsive sales of watches which leads to impulsive purchases (1 in 1 out).
    a. No selling to buy something only to realize I want to but back what was originally sold.

2. Changing up my strap rotation more frequently as to keep from getting bored with my bracelets (although I do favor bracelets heavily).

3. Every time I have an impulse to buy a watch, buy a share of stock instead.

GLTA in 2020!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    Welcome to WPAC! Don't forget if you need help come and post here.....
    lxnastynotch93 likes this.

WPAC Member #01

Page 1 of 175 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread Information