The 2020 Watch Purchasing Abstinence Club (WPAC)
Welcome to the 2020 Watch Purchasing Abstinence Club, otherwise known as WPAC.
This is the 4th year of WPAC, which was started at the beginning of 2017 as I was in a spiral of buying, flipping and buying again. Sometimes I was looking at the next purchase before I'd even received the last one I'd ordered, it was a little crazy and not exactly healthy. As well I wasn't putting much thought into my purchases so very few became long term keepers. Part of the problem, for me, is here on WUS you're exposed to new shiny watches all the time and the constant new purchases you see create a norm of buying. Yes, I could just stop visiting WUS, but I like watches and I like a lot of the threads on here……
OK, so what is the point of WPAC? Well it's a tiny corner of F71 that is a safe place for those that are intending to abstain from buying watches over the rest of 2020. Yes we still love watches, but as we all know the exposure to shiny stuff on WUS can be overwhelming and somewhat of an enabler and for those with a weaker will (that'll include me…..) this is a place to get help. Here you can take solace from like minded f71 brethren and get support and encouragement. We can even swap and share coping strategies for getting through what will be a tough time.
WPAC has been successful to varying degrees, but it's certainly helped me focus on my buying habits and curb those, along with helping to understand what really suits me in watches. OK, so I still have weak moments but I'm only human. I know that this has helped others, so maybe it can help you.
For the WPAC regulars (including the lurkers) we all know the SOP for this, but here are the rules for 2020.....
- Abstain from buying any watches for the whole of 2020.
- Pre-orders, even if delivery is in 2021, still count as a purchase.
- Trades are acceptable but must not result in any $$$ spent to make up the difference.
- New straps, parts and tools are acceptable (buying all the parts separately to make a watch is not!).
- Sales are okay but $$$ can not be reappointed to a new purchase.
- Watches given to you as a gift are acceptable but the one in one out rule applies (see rule 9).
- Purchasing for profit is allowed, but watches purchased to make a profit shouldn't be worn or find their way into your watchbox. If they do then it's back to the one in one out rule. And we don't want to see them!
- One exception allowed for the year, but on the basis of one in one out. The exception is intended to cover weakness of will and also that occasion where there is something special that you've been saving or looking for available. If you can avoid using it then great.
- If you fall from grace and succumb to temptation then the one in one out rule applies (applies to pre-orders as well), e.g. one of the existing watches must be sold/gifted to make room.
- All members to post SOTC (with photo of all watches) and state their intentions for 2020. This needs to be your first post please!
- Please participate in the thread!
- Bashing* of any potential purchases is mandatory, but let's keep it funny. Nuclear level bashing is required for any actual purchases.
* - bashing has become a divisive issue in previous threads and it needs to be made clear upfront that bashing (meaning finding faults with a potential purchase in any way possible) is perfectly acceptable behaviour here and is encouraged. If your fragile ego can't take a little bit of abuse at an inanimate object that you desire then you're either too sensitive or in the wrong place. Having said that we need to keep it within the bounds of reasonable behaviour…….
If you've got a different goal, but it's aligned with the spirit of WPAC then feel free to join in and tell us what you're intending. And let's be clear here, neither I or anyone else can stop you purchasing a watch, it's up to you. WPAC is more of a state of mind than strictly keeping to some rules. This isn't a deadly serious thread it's intended to be fun and for those who really do want to try and abstain…….
.......and if you do have a slightly different goal just expect to be treated as if you are abstaining, I'm not going to be remember every person's little permutation of the rules .
Good luck to everyone for 2020 .