Advice on my first mechanical watch Orient vs. Parnis
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Advice on my first mechanical watch Orient vs. Parnis

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advice on my first mechanical watch Orient vs. Parnis

This will be my first watch purchase of any kind. I have 3 other watches right now that were all gifts through my high school and college days. Just cause I know we all love pics they are

An Orvis Dual Time (to keep both U.S. and U.K time while I lived in Scotland):

Fossil Speedway CH 2332:

Casio SGW100 -1V:

Nothing super special about the above watches (all well under $100) but they kept good time and were wonderful gifts from the various people who took the time (no pun intended) to purchase me with their hard earned money what I consider one of the best gift ideas on the planet (and practical), a watch. So in a way I have a simple start for a watch collection

I am a 26 year old young professional who his wife calls (a 46 year old man caught in a 26 year old body). Anyway for my first nice watch purchase I know I want it to be mechanical and no more than about $120 bucks (I know, but its my first purchase and we're going to ease into the fine time piece world haha). I will wear it pretty much daily with a shirt and tie.

I have been reading all the great threads about this topic on good inexpensive mechanical watches (and there are some WONDERFUL people on this forum who give great advice) and I feel the front runners for me are:

An Orient Sky Multieye (which I like with both the leather and metal bands)

or the Parnis Power Reserve:

I am open to other suggestions and have a very open mind. I think the two watches I have as front runners give a pretty good indication of the type of watch I am looking for.

Thanks for your time and look forward to hearing thoughts and suggestions.

Drew

Banned

Re: Advice on my first mechanical watch Orient vs. Parnis

Welcome to the collecting world. Hopefully we can enable you to become yet another addict here on the forums.

The main difference between Orient and Parnis is the production process. Orient use entirely in-house movements (this is huge- 95% of companies buy movements from Seiko, Citizen, or Swatch Group and modify them). Parnis uses movements it takes from various manufacturers. As a matter of fact, nobody is sure if Parnis even has a single location where everything is finished for the consumer or not.

Here is my thoughts on each:

I own a Parnis very similar to what you're looking at, except the two sub-dials are at 9 and 3 intead of 12 and 6. It's a great watch, keeps good time, looks great- it's a little large if you aren't used to large watches, the rotor can be heard winding when the power is low, and the leather strap is a bit cheap. I actually replaced mine with a nylon "Zulu" blue/black strap for comfort. It wouldn't be my first choice.

The Orient is a good choice, but it's on the flip side- it's much smaller than you're picturing. It's one of the smaller pieces in my collection, actually. The website must count crown width in the measurement. It is a very nice watch though, and you know who made it. Good luck finding warranty help if your Parnis has an issue.

I'd toss in a few suggestions. Look at the Seagull site. They are a major manufacturer who produces movements for many, many in expensive companies. The watches they produce themselves are quite nice. Here are a couple for around $120:

$125

$125

There are a few others there which also are in the general price range. I'd start looking there. I'm sure someone else will have a better suggestion for you though.

Orient or Seagull, nice watches though.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

This is my Parnis power reserve:

I like it, people always assume it's an expensive watch- but for my first purchase I'd still want something like a Seagull that'll last for quite a long time without worry.

ocmusicjunkie nailed it pretty much. Buying Orient you will end up with good built, reliable watch. 95% of the time you will have no worries with it.
    Parnis is very nice watch a bit on thick side. I'm going to buy one. And it cost about 65$ if you know where to buy. But you can get a lemon. Or it's power reserve will stop working. And if you will order one check 12 mark. Scary right?

Ok. I bought Orient Mako as my first watch. Safe route with predictable outcome and I do really like this watch. Both on bracelet and straps.
    And now I'm going to have Parnis power reserve as dress watch with amazing blue hands. Yes it's IWC homage. But I like it no less for this.

I'll be the second to recommend the Orient Mako. You can find them for $99 on the bay but have the look and feel of a watch costing three times that. Quite accurate and reliable movement too.
    ​Seiko SBDX001 MM300, Seiko SBBN007 Tuna, Seiko Spirit SBFG001, Seiko SARB017 Alpinist, Seiko SARB035, Seiko SKX779 Black Monster, Seiko SKX007, Seiko SKX173, Seiko SKX011J, Seiko 6309-7049,Seiko 7548-7000, Seiko 7548-700B, Seiko 7C43-7009, Seiko 7C43-7010, Smiths PRS-29A, Speedbird III PRS-22, Precista PRS18Q, Precista PRS-14, CWC G10, CWC RN Quartz Diver, CWC SBS Diver, Robert Poseidon 39mm

I have both, the Blue Mako and Parnis Power Reserve you listed. I am quite happy with both, but I can't really compare them.

I wear my Mako quite a bit more than the Parnis. My Mako is my "daily" that I wear for pretty much everything except dress attire, in which then I wear the Parnis(I've only recently started collecting.)

The Parnis is cheaper than the Mako, but it's feel isn't the quality that Orient has(not saying this means it feels cheap, because it doesn't.) My Parnis keeps much better time than the Mako but can't hold up to rugged wear and tear as much as the Mako.

You can get a good deal on a Mako so it's only slightly more then the Parnis(orientalwatchsite always has some kind of 49% deal off that makes the watch quite a good deal-use code NEWWATCH49). I guess if I had to choose I'd limit it to a category...for a watch I wanted to wear more often than not, Mako. (I got it on rubber but took it off soon after...I recommend getting the bracelet as I hear it's quality.)

I doubt you'll get any good water resistance from the Parnis. That's my only concern. Good looking watch but you would probably like the Orient or Seagull.

I saw 1 or 2 complaints on Orients in the Chinese forum about quality issues. It might be isolated cases.
    .:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:. .:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:. .:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:..:.:. .:.:..:.:..:.:.::..:.:.:.
    .:.:. Vintage Seiko 5 .:.:. Alpha Milsub .:.:. Boctok Komandirskie T34x .:.:. Paketa 24 World Time .:.:. HMT Pilot .:.:.:.::..::..:::.:.:..:.:.
    .::..::..::..::..::..::..::..::..::..::..::..::..: :..::..::..::..::..::..::..::..::..::..::..::..::. .::..::..::..::..::..::..::..::..::..::..::..::..: :..::..::..:..:::..:..:.:.

I have an Orient and a Parnis. I like the Parnis better because of its larger size, but that is just my personal opinion. You can't go wrong w/ either one. Heck, try to get both if you can swing it.
    BTW, welcome to the forum.
    cottontop
    "If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin' 'til you do suck seed." Curly Howard

Moderator: F72 and F71 AlbertaTime's Avatar

Just off the top of my head I'd say Orient is the safer of the two when it comes to dependable quality. A good Parnis is a very good watch and they are attractive, fun and generally decent watches, but almost any Orient is a very good watch.

I heard about an Orient not working. Once.

Sea-Gull complicates things, though

Sea-Gulls are terrific watches. M185S...

Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River (AMCH/PR) 中国手表博物馆,皮斯里弗,艾伯塔省; Member: China Horologe Association; Chief Expert: China Watch Overseas Working Committee (CWOWC), a formally instituted CHA Working Committee; Sino-Canadian Horological Cultural Affairs Advisor: Guangzhou Watches and Clocks Association

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information