Affordable automatic tonneau or tank, not too large? - Page 3
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Affordable automatic tonneau or tank, not too large?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Affordable automatic tonneau or tank, not too large?

Quote Originally Posted by uplockjock View Post
    That gap between the strap and the end of the lugs wouldn't the he'll out of me
    There is no gap. Also what?
    Follow the white rabbit ->

I'd look into vintage watches, there are thousands of them, Hamiltons, Elgins, Bulovas etc, find one after service or buy cheap and get it serviced. Don't buy radioactive radium filled dial thou.
    Follow the white rabbit ->

Another vintage seiko

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Buran watch, $299 on the bay.

Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  145.9 KB

On Poljot24.de

Name:  4410.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  46.7 KB
    Watches are life. Live to Watch, Watch to Live. Do you even Watch, bro?

Quote Originally Posted by HighExpectations View Post
    This is my latest craze/obsession, fuelled by me owning a Tissot Porto in the past, which I sold as I just could not get along with the manual/handwind movement (I much prefer automatics due to my tendency to swap watches on& off the wrist often, keeping it on a winder in "standy-by").

So I'm looking for:

- something that isn't too big (the Tissot as a reference had a tonneau case with 32mmx42.5mm dimensions, I would not mind a slightly bigger case)
    - something with a rectangular (either tonneau or tank-style), and thin, hopefully not thicker than 10-11mm
    - automatic, reliable movement (at least a Miyota 9015/2824ish movt)
    - affordable (<5-600 USD, don't mind scouring the used market too for the right watch)
    - a see-through caseback would be nice too, although I can live with a solid caseback too
    If you want something slightly different, with a 28800 bph 'in-house' movement, you can take a look at the Yonger & Bresson "Chenonceau" :

https://yonger-bresson.fr/products/chenonceau

Exists also in a slightly smaller version :

https://yonger-bresson.fr/products/chenonceau-1

The original one :

https://yonger-bresson.fr/products/y-b-chenonceau-iv

If you're interested, here is mine :
    Review : https://forums.watchuseek.com/f474/y...l#post10898234

Gallery : https://forums.watchuseek.com/f78/yo...u-1349897.html

Last edited by Reno; October 18th, 2019 at 20:10.
    Ragl, parv and Ipse like this.
    My YouTube channel | My ImageShack gallery

MY COLLECTION :
    Swiss : FAVRE LEUBA | FORTIS | GIRARD-PERREGAUX | JAQUET+GIRARD | LONGINES | OMEGA | TISSOT | TITUS | ZENITH
    Japanese : CASIO | CITIZEN | ORIENT | SEIKO
    Russian : POLJOT | RAKETA | SLAVA | STURMANSKIE | VOSTOK | VOSTOK EUROPE | ZVEZDA
    French : AVYSTYLE | HERMA | LIP | YEMA | YONGER & BRESSON
    German : AEROMATIC | GLASHÜTTE | TAUCHMEISTER
    Chinese : ALPHA | ARMIDA | BEIJING | FINËAT | JARAGAR | KASSAW | OHSEN | PARNIS | SANGDO | SEKARO | SMAEL | STEWAL | WINNER

Thanks for the recommendations guys, keep'em coming! Those Eterna watches look great but can't find any at all almost, and definitely nowhere near $500 in price, found just one from European retailer at 1650 EUR which would be +3 times my budget :) I think this was once available at deep discount as I can see some years back when Eterna was clearing stocks left and right (around same time that the amazing Kontiki 3/4 hands was available from grey market sources at around the same 4-500$ which again is not something you can find nowadays, even well-used ones go for double that - I had a Kontiki 4-hander myself for a while but stupidly sold it :(

Quote Originally Posted by Reno View Post
    If you want something slightly different, with a 28800 bph 'in-house' movement, you can take a look at the Yonger & Bresson "Chenonceau" :

https://yonger-bresson.fr/products/chenonceau

Exists also in a slightly smaller version :

https://yonger-bresson.fr/products/chenonceau-1

The original one :

https://yonger-bresson.fr/products/y-b-chenonceau-iv

If you're interested, here is mine :
    Review : https://forums.watchuseek.com/f474/y...l#post10898234

Gallery : https://forums.watchuseek.com/f78/yo...u-1349897.html

Not really the simple/minimalist style I'm after, and also, seems way too cheap!! Chinese movements/"manufacture"? Otherwise there's no way this could be made IN France and for this money, unless they have a volunteer workforce and free supplies :)

Lightbulb Re: Affordable automatic tonneau or tank, not too large?

Quote Originally Posted by HighExpectations View Post
    Not really the simple/minimalist style I'm after, and also, seems way too cheap!! Chinese movements/"manufacture"? Otherwise there's no way this could be made IN France and for this money, unless they have a volunteer workforce and free supplies :)
    If you're interested, here is the background of the Ambre in-house movement :

https://en.yema.com/pages/yema-mbp1000

Text version :

IN-HOUSE CALIBER
    MBP1000
    In 2011, after 2 years of Research & Development and over € 3 million investment, YEMA releases its in-house self-winding mechanical movement, the Caliber MBP1000. Our in-house movement has been designed, manually assembled and precisely taken care of at our Morteau (France) workshops by highly experienced French traditional watchmakers.

Known for its excellent craftsmanship, the French art of watchmaking has a longstanding tradition of excellence. It goes back more than six hundred years but it is in the 18th century that it takes off in Franche-Comté, the French region in the Jura mountains just a few miles away from Switzerland.

Watchmaking was first and foremost a meticulous craft practiced in winter as a supplementary activity by farmers living in the Jura mountains. Today the watchmaking craftsmanship is preserved by historical Franche-Comté brands like YEMA and the recurrent exchanges between skilled watch experts across the border.

YEMA's workshops are based in the small town of Morteau (Franche-Comté), surrounded by extensive pine forests in a secluded valley in the Jura mountains. YEMA is run by a third generation watchmakers‘ family of Morteau with a small scale team averaging +30 years of service. Today, YEMA and other local watchmakers are the worthy heirs of a long watchmaking tradition that goes back centuries.

All these historical and geographical elements have enabled the French Watchmaker YEMA to design its own In-house mechanical movement.

JEAN-PAUL BOILLOT
    Master Watchmaker

With almost 40 years of service, Jean-Paul Boillot is YEMA's Watchmaking Master. Born into a watchmaking family for four generations, Jean-Paul has been immersed in the world of watchmaking since his earliest childhood. His parents owned a small watchmaking business in the family home, which allowed him to observe and practice the work and meticulous gestures that mechanical movement require.

“In my childhood, the Morteau valley was the cradle of French watchmaking. Each small village was crowded with family businesses dedicated to horology and watchmaking. YEMA was one of the most renowned local watch brands and the leading French watch exporter at that time. I always had in mind the idea of designing a quality French movement at an affordable price as we used to do in the past. So I was very honoured to work on the MBP1000 Caliber development by leading its design, prototyping and assembling.”

Jean-Paul Boillot

DIMENSIONS :
    Automatic Caliber 12 lines

Thickness : 4,60 mm

AUTONOMY :
    45 hours Power Reserve

Rotor Frequency :
    28 800 A/h (4 Hertz)

COMPLICATIONS :
    Hours, minutes, seconds
    Date (at 3 o'clock) variant

3 Positions Adjustment
    Date quickset function
    Stop-seconds function

TECHNICAL SPECS :
    Conventional barrel spring with sliding flange at the top of the winding

Automatic bi-directional winding via oscillating rotor

Disengaging of automatic winding device during manual winding

Center pivot swivel with ball bearing adjustment

3 arms rotor, optimal inertia

Quick release dial screw

31 jewels

VARIANTS :
    The mechanical movement has two other variants:

MBP1010 CALIBER
    Two hands, small seconds hand, date at 6 o'clock

28 800 A/h, 31 jewels anti-friction and anti-wear

Two-way self-winding and stop-second providing a 45-hour power reserve

Quick date adjustment

11 1/2 lines

MBP1030 CALIBER
    Two hands, small seconds hand, power reserve indicator, date at 3 o'clock

28 800 A/h, 31 jewels anti-friction and anti-wear

Two-way self-winding and stop-second providing a 45-hour power reserve

Quick date adjustment

11 1/2 lines

Yema France
    YEMA's In-house Caliber MBP1000 performance has been throughly analysed, tested and reviewed by CETEHOR, the French Watch Technical Laboratory.

CETEHOR : Founded in 1945, the French Watch Technical Laboratory is a French national organism located in Besançon and whose primary mission is the technical control of calibers manufactured in France. CETEHOR is the main reference for French watchmakers.
    And YES, the movement is assembled in Morteau (Doubs), France

I have several Y&B with this movement, and they're all very fine watches
    Dan83bz and ReallyBored like this.
    My YouTube channel | My ImageShack gallery

MY COLLECTION :
    Swiss : FAVRE LEUBA | FORTIS | GIRARD-PERREGAUX | JAQUET+GIRARD | LONGINES | OMEGA | TISSOT | TITUS | ZENITH
    Japanese : CASIO | CITIZEN | ORIENT | SEIKO
    Russian : POLJOT | RAKETA | SLAVA | STURMANSKIE | VOSTOK | VOSTOK EUROPE | ZVEZDA
    French : AVYSTYLE | HERMA | LIP | YEMA | YONGER & BRESSON
    German : AEROMATIC | GLASHÜTTE | TAUCHMEISTER
    Chinese : ALPHA | ARMIDA | BEIJING | FINËAT | JARAGAR | KASSAW | OHSEN | PARNIS | SANGDO | SEKARO | SMAEL | STEWAL | WINNER

Someone posted a Goer rectangular watch in WRUW yesterday, and when I searched on eBay, found that it is less than $30...
    Watches are life. Live to Watch, Watch to Live. Do you even Watch, bro?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information