Affordable Non-diver style watch, 38-40mm case, screwed down crown - any suggestions?
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Affordable Non-diver style watch, 38-40mm case, screwed down crown - any suggestions?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Affordable Non-diver style watch, 38-40mm case, screwed down crown - any suggestions?

I am looking for another mechanical watch, something that is modestly-sized for my 6 inch wrists; 38-40mm of case diameter AND Not more than 48mm of lug to lug distance. Although I want a watch with good water resistance for swimming and snorkeling (100m+ WR, is 50m okay?), this time I would like to consider options that are not diver-styled ones, pilot or field watches would be great. A screwed-down crown is a must, not just because I swim with them (no serious diving though), but I also have paranoia regarding bending crowns. I am mostly unlikely to spend more than 250$, but I am open to suggestions up to 500$.

I am aware of only two watches that satisfy my criteria; the Seiko Alpinist (SARB017), and Dagaz Thunderbolt. Any other suggestions?
    Last edited by SudoHalt; April 4th, 2015 at 23:59.
    -Najeed
    _______
    "To be a good professional engineer, always start to study late for exams. Because it teaches you how to manage time and tackle emergencies.
    -Bill Gates

Re: Affordable Non-diver style watch, 38-40mm case, screwed down crown - any suggestions?

Worth checking the 420SE on

Meranom Store - Vostok Watches - Часы Восток Meranom.com

some dressy no bezel listed at times. How about shrouded lugs though as more difficult to catch.
    SudoHalt likes this.

Re: Affordable Non-diver style watch, 38-40mm case, screwed down crown - any suggestions?

Maybe a Aevig Corvid, tough it's quartz...
    SudoHalt likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by cuica View Post
    Maybe a Aevig Corvid, tough it's quartz...
    Thanks for reminding me, mechanical watches only. :D

Quote Originally Posted by arktika1148 View Post
    Worth checking the 420SE on

Meranom Store - Vostok Watches - Час‹ ’ос‚ок Meranom.com

some dressy no bezel listed at times. How about shrouded lugs though as more difficult to catch.
    To be honest, the 420 case isn't my cup of tea. 18mm lugs are too awkward, in my opinion.

Thanks for the suggestions! :)
    -Najeed
    _______
    "To be a good professional engineer, always start to study late for exams. Because it teaches you how to manage time and tackle emergencies.
    -Bill Gates

The Zeno Explorer may be a nice one to consider. It's 36mm but wears bigger because of the design.
    ♛ Rolex GMT-Master II 116710LN
    ♛ Rolex Explorer II 16570

Seller feedback

How about a Bernhardt Binnacle Anchor III. I have one and the build quality is very good. Screw down crown, sapphire crystal, great lume, and a very nice bracelet.

Banned

SudoHalt likes this.

Well, the Alpinist and the Thunderbolt are 2 of my favorites. And curiously, the Alpinist is the fanciest of the field watches and the T-bolt is decidedly not fancy at all. My wallet voted Dagaz.
    Name:  thunderbolt19m.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  99.3 KB
    SudoHalt likes this.
    The best things in life are analog.

I would second the Bernhardt recommendation, although the Alpinist is high on my shopping list. I have the F71 project, which uses the same case as the BBA II, and I love it. 40mm case, although the lug-to-lug is 50mm.

I will have to second the Maratac Mid-Pilot. Having owned it for some time now I would have to say it is one of my best watches. At 39mm and around 46mm lug to lug it is the perfect midsized watch. However, it is rather thick and with its pilot style it does wear larger than the 39mm size might suggest. The primary reason I enjoy the Mid-Pilot is it feels like a very rugged and solid watch.

Name:  photo 3-3.JPG
Views: 478
Size:  118.4 KBName:  photo 2-3.JPG
Views: 478
Size:  116.5 KB

The positive aspects for me are the slightly domed sapphire crystal, drilled lugs, offset crown (also screw down, 100m WR), the nicely machined case and great lume.

Name:  photo 1-4.JPG
Views: 477
Size:  74.3 KB
    JamesWWIII and SudoHalt like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information