Alexander James Diver NDR001
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By tslewisz
  • 1 Post By tslewisz
  • 1 Post By eztime

Thread: Alexander James Diver NDR001

Alexander James Diver NDR001

https://alexjameswatches.com/product...ite-snowflake/

Alex has been known around the WUS community for quite a while for Seiko mod parts and homage no-branded-dial pieces. I picked up a little 3-hander last year from his Nilgauss section, of which he was happy to change out the hands to make it more to my liking. Since I'd been so impressed with his work and demeanor, I jumped immediately when I saw the GORGEOUS Snowflake diver he announced his on KS campaign. The other dials looked great...but I already had a grey sunburst from him. So, as with all KS pre-orders, the wait commenced. Alex communicated supplier delays and "day job" conflicts which would affect the promised delivery date, but I wasn't worried. He always seemed like a stand-up guy. Since I was a previous customer and only 100 miles from him I had hopes that I'd get my watch before most of the KS early adopters, and I think that's the case. So, here's what I think:

Even though AJ's published specs are nearly spot-on, the watch looks and wears bigger than I anticipated. The midcase and bezel are nearly vertical so even a morbidly obese wrist like mine can't absorb the height. AJ's height spec (see link above) is pretty right on. TBH, I didn't expect it. I was so excited about the dial and had such confidence in AJ, I didn't give it a thought. I prefer slimmer watches, as a rule, but this one isn't a turn off because of the other assets.

The dial is as beautiful as we all thought it would be. The bezel is WAY over the top. The lumed ceramic insert is freaking gorgeous. And the bezel itself has a beautiful action with a nearly imperceptible amount of play. I'm super impressed. The crown is signed and "set out" from the midcase like a BB. I've never had a watch like that. I like it. I think it's a nice, unique, touch.

The case is finished beautifully. The vertical sides and top are a fine brush but there's a polished bevel that falls over the edges of the lugs that works just fine. It's very pretty, IMO. The bezel is vertical and tall, with pretty fine notches. Much like the notches one of our noted modders would do on an 8926 with a checkering file, but deeper. And more vertical and taller, as I said.

The bracelet is a mixed bag. Disclaimer: I'm a picky bastard about bracelets. The endlinks fit very well. They're solid, of course, and there's no perceptible movement between them and the case. If you look close, the radius' aren't perfect on the corners. I mean you have to look CLOSE. I'm not sure anything I have is better. Really. Adjustment is via screws. All of them were fairly loose so adjustment was easy. Tighten all of them after you're done adjusting and give them another nudge after a few wearings. Weird that I only had to take one link out, usually it takes two. Those of you even more morbidly obese than I may need to ask for more links. I think I'm about 7.75", FWIW. I think the clasp lets the bracelet down. It's all stamped, kind of MilTat quality. It is signed, though. I'll probably leave it on. If I didn't have such an aversion to leather on divers this watch would be a stunner on thick leather. Damn it.

The "lume shot" was after less than five minutes in the back yard taking the other pictures, then walking into the garage that had all doors open, and snapping a picture. I think it's going to be more than adequate.

Crappy back yard phone pictures:

robbery likes this.

Re: Alexander James Diver NDR001

How thick is it? Slab sided case design accentuates the depth. The very flat caseback may necessitate the big case.

A 9015 or 2892 movement would allow for a very thin case.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account:

Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

Quote Originally Posted by yankeexpress View Post
    How thick is it? Slab sided case design accentuates the depth. The very flat caseback may necessitate the big case.

A 9015 or 2892 movement would allow for a very thin case.
    It's per the specs in the link, brother. AJ says 14.3mm, I measured about 14.44mm. The movement is NH35.
    yankeexpress likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Good to see some initial thoughts. I also ordered the snowflake model and I'm expecting it to arrive tomorrow (should have arrived yesterday but I guess the shipment arrived at the post office too late). I'm not that concerned about the case thickness since I always expect a thick case with the NH35. The snowflake dial is what I'm really looking forward to seeing in person.
    tslewisz likes this.

Thread Information