Alpha Milsub mods (dome crystal, new hands, bezel insert)
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Alpha Milsub mods (dome crystal, new hands, bezel insert)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    BSQ
    Banned

Alpha Milsub mods (dome crystal, new hands, bezel insert)

I purchased a used Alpha Milsub and I when I received it I started comparing it to the Rolex 5517 Milsub. There were several differences that I noticed and the more that I researched in the 'Affordable' forum, the more I started looking into modding the Alpha Milsub. Below are the items that I changed.

1.) Hands - The first thing that I noticed on the Alpha was that the hands were slightly smaller than the 5517. I did some searching and found that Raffles Time had some hands that would be a nice upgrade. The hands that I purchased were yellow and not white like the Alpha's.

2.) Crystal - The crystal in the Alpha is a flat mineral crystal, so to match the dome crystal of the 5517 I purchased a GS Lo Dome watch crystal (30.6mm) from Esslinger. I pressed out the mineral crystal, removed the bezel insert and then used a crystal lift (purchased from Esslinger) to install the new dome crystal.

3.) Bezel insert - The bezel insert on the Alpha only has minute marks up to 15. I purchased a new aftermarket 5517 bezel insert on the bay, but after receiving it and test fitting, the bezel insert's outside diameter was to small. After doing a lot of searching, I purchase a milsub style insert from Dagaz which is for a Seiko. The new insert's outside diameter was about 0.5mm to large (which I knew when buying). I reduced the outside diameter by 0.5mm and it fit perfectly.

4.) Aged dial - After installing the new yellow hands, they didn't match the white markers on the dial. I baked the dial in the oven for 1 hour at 400 degrees (F) and then put submerged the dial for 5 minutes in some coffee. The dial markers match the hands and have a nice cream color.

5.) Nato strap - The used Alpha that I purchased came with a black zulu strap, but it was 22mm instead of 20mm, so it was to big. I purchased a new 20mm G10 Nato strap from the bay.

Below are some pictures of the completed watch.

Last edited by BSQ; July 7th, 2014 at 20:28. Reason: mispelling

Re: Alpha Milsub mods (dome crystal, new hands, bezel insert)

Awesome mod! Looks really great! =D

Very nice!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Turned out great!

Nice mods! Tell me more about the crystal conversion; did you reuse the plastic gasket that held the mineral crystal in place? Were the two crystal sizes identical or was the acrylic different? Is the watch waterproof with the new crystal in place? I'll be converting my flat mineral crystal to an acrylic as well.

BSQ
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jaliya48 View Post
    Nice mods! Tell me more about the crystal conversion; did you reuse the plastic gasket that held the mineral crystal in place? Were the two crystal sizes identical or was the acrylic different? Is the watch waterproof with the new crystal in place? I'll be converting my flat mineral crystal to an acrylic as well.
    I left the plastic gasket in place after removing the mineral crystal. I read where the another member had used a 30.6mm acrylic crystal, so that was the size that I ordered. I can measure the mineral crystal and see what size it is, more than likely it will be 30.0mm. I have not checked the waterproofness of the watch since doing the crystal swap. When I get some time, I can removed the movement and submerge the case to test the waterproofness of the crystal.

I love it. My Alpha Milsub doesn't get much wrist time but with some mods it might. Is the movement a DG 2813 or are the hands for something else?

Thanks, Scott

BSQ
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tslewisz View Post
    Is the movement a DG 2813 or are the hands for something else?
    The movement is a DG 2813, so Raffles Time has the exact hands that will fit the movement.
    Last edited by BSQ; July 7th, 2014 at 20:27. Reason: mispelling

I like it a lot!
    Concentrated power is not rendered harmless by the good intentions of those who create it.
    Milton Friedman

BSQ
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jaliya48 View Post
    Were the two crystal sizes identical or was the acrylic different? Is the watch waterproof with the new crystal in place?
    I measured the mineral crystal and it is 30.48mm. I also removed the movement and checked the watch for waterproofness. I placed the watch in a pitcher of water and no water entered the case.
    Fullers1845 likes this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information