Anyone else dislike sapphire crystals? - Page 2
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Anyone else dislike sapphire crystals?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Anyone else dislike sapphire crystals?

Sapphire all the way.

I'm to a point where I won't seriously consider a new watch unless it comes with sapphire. If I end up wanting a non-sapphire watch bad enough that I'm willing to replace the crystal with sapphire, then I would consider still buying -- but that hasn't happened since I decided to have a "sapphire only" rule. The Orange Monster my wife gave me for my last birthday is an exception...
    WPAC Member #35.
    "No Desire to Acquire!"

Quote Originally Posted by X2-Elijah View Post
    ...When you polish plexiglass, you literally take material away. This means you reshape and distort the crystal, make it thinner, and more uneven...
    This makes sense. I wonder though, if it is actually possible to polish the crystal out of shape in practice?

I was pretty evenly split between mineral and sapphire but having won a tiny scratch on a Hardlex crystal I'm a sapphire convert.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by _XII_ View Post
    What? Surely a smoothly curved highly domed shape like (say) in Junghans Max Bill is very rarely, if ever, implemented for a sapphire crystal?

Or even the shape shown below, which should be easier to make. I wonder, how Nomos Tetra would look, if it was made this way...

The Lew and Huey Legends racer that never went into production has a square sapphire. So Producing that isn't a problem.

Also
    Brathwait Minimalist Automatic Watch Review | Watch It All About

So the question remains, if Brathwait can do it cheaper, why can't Junghans?

The OP's original point is not lost on me, but I'm all against it; I actually prefer it when the crystal is almost invisible or its AR coating plays tricks. So go sapphire go

(case in point: this dial is actually black viewed head on

Quote Originally Posted by AC81 View Post
    The Lew and Huey Legends racer that never went into production has a square sapphire. So Producing that isn't a problem.

Also
    Brathwait Minimalist Automatic Watch Review | Watch It All About

So the question remains, if Brathwait can do it cheaper, why can't Junghans?
    I had a look at the Lew & Huey and Brathwait watches. Their crystals are not as high as Junghans and Nivada above. Conversely they have higher bezels.
    Last edited by _XII_; February 27th, 2016 at 17:56.

Quote Originally Posted by 2manywatchs View Post
    I like the scratch resistance afforded by sapphire. I have them in all configurations...

Flat

Domed

And (my personal favorite) Double-Domed
    I think the double domed sapphire makes a mod absolutely POP. Won't do a mod without one.

I had a look at the Lew & Huey and Brathwait watches. Their crystals are not as high as Junghans and Nivada above. Conversely they have higher bezels.
    Pfft. If i posted a sapphire crystal watch, then asked for a mineral crystal version to be posted, i expect the posts wouldn't be a perfect match either. That's as those crystals are made to the designs of those specific watches. They're not 'off the shelf' parts they're made to order.
    Those crystals are very close, and they prove the point that sapphire can be made that way if anyone really wants to.

Sapphire is complex and slow to machine. That's why most lower cost watches are basically flat or a simple dome, but it can be done. Hublot has machined entire watches out of Sapphire, lol... Part of the reason is, to be fair, protection. Sapphire is more shatter prone than mineral glass or acrylic, so putting part of it behind a bezel is a design decision not just in terms of style but in terms of protecting the crystal from some degree of risk of breakage.

But here's the thing. There are guides to tell you how to tell sapphire from mineral glass. It's not easy; both are basically optically clear. Nobody needs to tell you how to tell glass/sapphire from acrylic. If you've seen it once, you can *tell.*

Sometimes a designer would want to go for a specific look and doing it in acrylic or mineral glass is either the cheapest way to do it or the way that captures the look they want the best.

Price no object, though-- I'd always rather have a design in sapphire, am OK with modern mineral glass and am VERY, VERY happy to leave the plexi/acrylic back in the 80's with the Swatches. I don't care for the scuffs or the aesthetic, given a choice.

EDIT: Since sapphire is *sapphire* the other thing I probably left out is that the larger the piece the more expensive it is, and the material on a domed watch requires a larger 'billet.' The more complex the shape the more likely you are to have breakage. That's a significant concern with complex sapphire parts-- doing crazy stuff with them will lead to a percentage failing during the machining process. Flat crystals have a low (near zero?) breakage risk during production. Accounting for the time and loss factors into the price for dramatically domed sapphire or non-standard shapes.
    Last edited by OvrSteer; February 27th, 2016 at 18:33.
    gaelibus likes this.
    Choose a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life because that field isn't hiring.

Quote Originally Posted by sirgilbert357 View Post
    Sapphire all the way.

I'm to a point where I won't seriously consider a new watch unless it comes with sapphire. If I end up wanting a non-sapphire watch bad enough that I'm willing to replace the crystal with sapphire, then I would consider still buying -- but that hasn't happened since I decided to have a "sapphire only" rule. The Orange Monster my wife gave me for my last birthday is an exception...
    Yobokies has a sapphire for the Orange Monster... Just saying.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information