Best Submariner Homage? - Page 10
Like Tree493Likes

Thread: Best Submariner Homage?

Page 10 of 164 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 60 110 ... LastLast

Re: Best Submariner Homage?

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluefish View Post
    Did I miss it, or did nobody mention the Tag Heuer 1000 Professional? (200 metere water resistance, too.) Noob here, but I would think this one qualifies. No date magnifier, though.
    I suspect most in this forum don't consider a watch that sells for US$900-1000 "affordable."
    wakajazz likes this.

The cheapest sub-style watch which i found (and ordered ) on e-bay seems to be this "Goer" from need2u.

At 9 £, it's 6 £ less than what the MQJs go for, though the design is less faithful to the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullers1845 View Post
    wosk:

In my opinion the magnifier on the Debaufre Ocean 1 is certainly adequate as compared to the Orient 2ER and Invicta 8926, tho I have not compared it directly with a Rolex magnifier.

I would also add that the most powerful magnifier I have yet handled was on a Marathon SAR...

Thanks for the answer. The rolex almost fills the magnifier with the date (http://www.blogcdn.com/www.luxist.co...iner-watch.jpg)

The SAR seems to have a very nice magnifier, which shouldn't be too hard to put on a submariner homage, should it?

To me that gives a reason to have the magnifier, wheres most homages only have it for the sake of "homaging" (? ;D). But right now I'm thinking of getting the debaufre or a steinhart (since I'm in europe), but maybe I should go a bit further and get a marcello c (if I can find it pre-loved)?
    Dalll likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Unless I'm mistaken, the magnifier cyclops is something that can be taken off or replaced in almost no time by any competent jeweler - if the cyclops is an issue, why not get the watch based on other aspects and then simply change it to be what you want it to be?

I think that part of it has to do with the profile of the watch face. On the Rolex watches I've seen up close, the cyclops magnifier really stands up off of the face due to it's dept and size, which makes sense why it has a higher degree of magnification compared to mine which is not that thick. To me it's a non-issue, but some people are really bothered by it.
    This is just a tribute.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickG View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, the magnifier cyclops is something that can be taken off or replaced in almost no time by any competent jeweler - if the cyclops is an issue, why not get the watch based on other aspects and then simply change it to be what you want it to be?

I think that part of it has to do with the profile of the watch face. On the Rolex watches I've seen up close, the cyclops magnifier really stands up off of the face due to it's dept and size, which makes sense why it has a higher degree of magnification compared to mine which is not that thick. To me it's a non-issue, but some people are really bothered by it.
    Hmm, I'll really have to check into that, even my cheap invicta 8926 would feel alot better with a good magnifier.

Quote Originally Posted by wosk View Post
    Hmm, I'll really have to check into that, even my cheap invicta 8926 would feel alot better with a good magnifier.
    I don't think they are very expensive either. From what I have read, the jeweler takes a small torch to heat it and get the adhesive to give way and it pops right off with a little tap. Then they clean the crystal and install the new one with a clear adhesive - it's neither expensive nor time consuming.
    This is just a tribute.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluefish View Post
    Did I miss it, or did nobody mention the Tag Heuer 1000 Professional? (200 metere water resistance, too.) Noob here, but I would think this one qualifies. No date magnifier, though.
    Hello and welcome to the forum!

The Tag you mention is certainly a contender in the Sub Homage category. They can be found used on the Bay for considerably less than $500. New they are comparable in price to the Marcello C Nettuno.

Everyone has a different definition of affordable.
    Homage watches democratize history for the common wrist.

Cheers! James

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Fullers1845 View Post
    Hello and welcome to the forum!

The Tag you mention is certainly a contender in the Sub Homage category. They can be found used on the Bay for considerably less than $500. New they are comparable in price to the Marcello C Nettuno.

Everyone has a different definition of affordable.
    Besides not everyone purchases a homage because they can't afford the real one, some just dont like the brand and others find homages that are better looking then the original. So there are other reasons to get homage watch then just the price (althou that does play a significant part for most of us). Wouldn't some of you real Rolex owners be tempted by a watch that would cost let's say 2/3rds of real thing but one that would have been made with much smaller profit margings and advertising, so the money actually goes into the product. So it could have superior movement and QC (not to say Rolex does a bad job there, on the contrary).

I would tend to think that for that kind of money, any watch coming from Rolex is going to be virtually perfect in all respects, and their in-house 3135 movement is supposed to be the cat's meow. However, that's just what I have read and I have zero first-hand experience with Rolex or that movement.
    This is just a tribute.

Inactive

I didn't say that there's something wrong with Rolex quality or about their movements, just saying that for the price theres loads of marketing, staff to pay, high margins. If someone makes quality goods of about the same price range (or at least somewhat cheaper) but with smaller margins and with smaller amount of "bloat" (aka everything besides the watch it self) it would mean that it would be better bang for the buck. Not saying that Rolex has something wrong in them, just that at that price there could be kick ass products out there be they homages or not. I would rather spend that money Rolex demands for into boutique brands or into vintage pieces.

Page 10 of 164 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 60 110 ... LastLast

Thread Information