Best Submariner Homage? - Page 4
Like Tree493Likes

Thread: Best Submariner Homage?

Page 4 of 164 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 54 104 ... LastLast

Re: Best Submariner Homage?

This one is nice. Cost me peanuts on eBay.

image remove, rolex trademark infringement.

Last edited by Ernie Romers; August 1st, 2011 at 13:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Radio_Daze View Post
    This one is nice. Cost me peanuts on eBay.

I already have the Invicta sub, but I'm gonna get one of these too. Gonna put the bond (Black/Grey) Nato on it. They go on the bay for 15 to 20 bucks. Total steal for an Alpha quality sub.
    Last edited by Ernie Romers; August 1st, 2011 at 13:40.

Hey guys, I have 2 sub homages; A Tigershark and a Chronotac. The Tigershark is really nice; 300m, sapphire crystal, eta 2824, smaller size around 39 mm without crown and the bracelet is really nice too. It has solid end links/screws and a divers extension. The Chronotac is pretty good too. It has an domed acrylic crystal with a cyclops that works, nice finishing. The bracelet is crap though; folded end links with screws all of which seem to be striped. The friction bezel really sucks though it's slippery and hard to turn. I don't really like wearing the Chronotac just because it looks too big and odd to me when I put it on a nato it's about 40mm without crown, and I can't wear it on the bracelet because of the striped screws. I've modded both of them; in the pictures you can compare the sizes, the Tigershark is the one with the full indexed bezel, the Chronotac has the cyclops

just trying to buy back some time

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

On the Timex indiglo, it was mentioned as a "backlight".....so does that mean it has a push button light or is it only luminous markers?

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    On the Timex indiglo, it was mentioned as a "backlight".....so does that mean it has a push button light or is it only luminous markers?
    Both. The hands and indices are lumed (not very bright, but it's there). And... when you press the crown the entire dial lights up Indiglo blue.
    Homage watches democratize history for the common wrist.

Cheers! James

My recommendation (aka the watch with the worst bracelet) is the Seiko SKX031. Bracelet aside, Iím very, very happy with mine.

IMO, it is a homage rather than a clone. I personally like the fact that indices are larger than a Submariner, and that the hands are fatter, too. . . it separates this watch from the fake Rolex crowd. It also gives you far better lume than the Orient and Alpha watches mentioned above (from what Iíve read; I havenít owned these other watches myself). I personally find many of the homages mentioned here stray a little too close to the original design, but that's just me.

The best SKX031 pics Iíve seen are here Ė you will have to scroll down a bit. (Iím unhappy about ripping off someone elseís work so Iím posting links.)

The bracelet is utter junk, however. . . factor in the cost of a Super Oyster, if you are going to wear it on a bracelet. (Although as I personally prefer leather or Natos, itís not an issue for me.)

As an aside, I understand the newly formed Apha-USA is bringing out a no-date Milsub homage at some point in the future (and talking about better QC). More info over on the Chinese watches section.

Quote Originally Posted by Shambles View Post
    I personally find many of the homages mentioned here stray a little too close to the original design, but that's just me.
    For many of us, including myself, adherence to the original design is actually a positive. That's what I'm looking for. I don't see anything wrong with wearing a watch that takes it's design from another, so long as it isn't branded as such. I'm not pretending to wear a Rolex, and the seller isn't pretending that he's selling me one. In some markets you can make a valid argument that the homages take something away from the original designs (as in, sales-wise), but I don't think that holds in the watch world. The price difference is just to vast for Rolex to be losing anything here...actually, I might guess that the popularity of your homages is a good thing. It's free advertising, and probably just makes your authentic brand that much more desirable.
    Last edited by midshipman01; August 7th, 2009 at 21:52.
    JOSS 2 likes this.
    Dear WIS, I have seen your watch addiction affect your life negatively in the following ways...

Quote Originally Posted by midshipman01 View Post
    For many of us, including myself, adherence to the original design is actually a positive. That's what I'm looking for. I don't see anything wrong with wearing a watch that takes it's design from another, so long as it isn't branded as such. I'm not pretending to wear a Rolex, and the seller isn't pretending that he's selling me one. In some markets you can make a valid argument that the homages take something away from the original designs (as in, sales-wise), but I don't think that holds in the watch world. The price difference is just to vast for Rolex to be losing anything here...actually, I might guess that the popularity of your homages is a good thing. It's free advertising, and probably just makes your authentic brand that much more desirable.
    Actually, I agree that the homages (and even outright fakes) are not taking sales away from Rolex, but promoting their brand. No-one that can afford a Rolex would buy an Alpha instead, although doubtless, there will be people that have both. Don't ask me why.

The point I was trying to make is that I can't help but feel it's lazy to produce too close a copy of an existing iconic watch. However, I am aware that (1) it is quite impossible to come up with a totally original, readable watch design, and (2) I'm a bit of a hypocrite because homages of obscure watches don't bother me at all. (There are a couple of Precista homages I'm after). Back to Submariners, I'd feel more comfortable with a Milsub homage, because that is an attempt to recreate a more obscure, military watch - something that cannot be bought in the high street.

I was not trying to compare the Alpha and the Orient to fakes - just say that I prefer the Seiko design because it adds something original. It kind of takes the Submariner to a place that Rolex might well have gone, if they hadn't gone upmarket with it. I'm not being a snob about those two particular brands, because I looked at both before opting for the SKX031.

Anyway, apologies to all if I'm taking this off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Shambles View Post
    The point I was trying to make is that I can't help but feel it's lazy to produce too close a copy of an existing iconic watch.
    There's a serious market for it, just look at the very existence of this topic. Doubtless some brands are going to jump into that niche, big or small. It's not so much laziness as it is simply good business. Further, newer evolutions of the design would not sell as much - or at least, sell to a different audience than these homages do.

Quote Originally Posted by GuySie View Post
    There's a serious market for it, just look at the very existence of this topic. Doubtless some brands are going to jump into that niche, big or small. It's not so much laziness as it is simply good business. Further, newer evolutions of the design would not sell as much - or at least, sell to a different audience than these homages do.
    Therein lies the rub for any 'homage'. If they are too close to the original, some people will holler "copy" or "fake". But if they are more unique, people will complain that they aren't close enough It seems that the more iconic the watch, the more homages there are. The Submariner is an iconic dive watch, as is the Panerai Luminor and Radiomir, and the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Each model has numerous 'homages', good and bad. Most of us cannot afford those watches so we look for similar designs which manufacturers are happy to make for us. Timex, Orient, Invicta, Sandoz, Alpha etc. make a 'sub', Wenger, Luminox and others a 'Pam', and multiple small companies make the FF (Precista, MKII, Corvus, IWI).

I for one am happy that these companies make homages because I can get an approximation of the original design for a fraction of the cost. Would I like a sub? Heck yeah! Can I afford it? Not unless I win the lottery!

Just remember, when we discuss homages we aren't discussing fakes, and will never discuss fakes on Watchuseek.

Cheers,
    Griff

Page 4 of 164 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 54 104 ... LastLast

Thread Information