Best Submariner Homage? - Page 6
Like Tree492Likes

Thread: Best Submariner Homage?

Page 6 of 164 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 56 106 ... LastLast

Re: Best Submariner Homage?

Quote Originally Posted by tjdeater View Post
    Can you tell me more about this watch and the maker? I've tried searching for "orange watches" but obviously that's not an easy result set to wade through
    Try searching for "Orange Watch Company." That should get you there.

Cheers!
    Homage watches democratize history for the common wrist.

Cheers! James

Quote Originally Posted by Fullers1845 View Post
    Try searching for "Orange Watch Company." That should get you there.

Cheers!
    Thanks very much!

How about a Sandoz Sub with MKII milsub hands and dial.
    Steve

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by tjdeater View Post
    Thanks very much!
    If you didn't find all you wanted, I would love to help out just PM me and I'll throw you with email addresses and info. I've been in touch with Dan for quit some time now and I'm truly impressed with the quality of the products.

So when is someone going to make a homage to the Rolex Sea-Dweller Deepsea?

Quote Originally Posted by Radio_Daze View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, they [Rolex] have ludicrously extortionate prices which can never be justified. As far as I can see it, they are only at the prices that they are, so the ordinary man in the street can't afford one, not because they are any better than a lot of Watch brands at a fraction of the cost! In fact the only real justification for the high prices, is the fact that Rolex know that people are willing to pay it!
    To touch on this just a bit, it's kind of a shame, but I think Rolex only has themselves to blame for the enormous market for Rolex copies. Think about it - you have a watch whose very name conjures images of quality, wealth, oppulence and class. Unfortunately, they are priced well outside of what the average person - even upper middle class folks - will pay for a timepiece, which is of course what spurs the counterfeit market. These days with manufacturing technology becoming what it is, many of these fakes are done quite well - to the point that the only way to really tell if it is in fact a fake is to open the back of the watch and look at the movement. Some of them are fairly "expensive" - to the tune of $500-$700 for good ones, but that beats the heck out of the price tag for a real one. I think that if Rolex had kept their prices down to about half of what they currently are for the average piece, they wouldn't have near the problem they have with the fakes. Just a thought.

Getting back to the subject of the Submariner homages, my wife got me an Invicta 9937OB for my birthday. (I would have been just as happy with the 8926C though.) I think that it's a good homage for the following reasons:

-- It seems to be well made and finished well - nothing stuck out that I felt should have been flagged by QC.
    -- Sapphire glass crystal - mineral glass is good, but I liked the idea of the added scratch resistancy of the sapphire glass
    -- Decent date cyclops - I've heard that the magnifier on some of the lower priced homages leaves some to be desired, and this one seems ok.
    -- Swiss movement - mine is the Sellita SW200 - right now it's about +15 seconds a day. Hopefully that will tame down some, but if it doesn't I'll see if I can have it tuned and adjusted.

Overall, I feel that it's a quality timepiece that looks great, runs well (so far) and gave me the look I wanted without having to resort to buying a fake - the thought of that turns my stomach. It's not quite as nice as the Debaufre, but it got me where I wanted to go. Now I'd like to find an Omega Seamaster and Speedmaster homage of comparable quality. The Alphas are good, but I'd be willing to spend a little more to get a little more.
    This is just a tribute.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullers1845 View Post
    Beautiful picture, Ross.

Post your TT Invicta too, Man! It's a Sub homage in its own right.
    Good Point... Here ya go :)

Invicta 8928 OB.

~ross

Some people have mentioned the Manbushijie sterile sub. I ordered one and received it today. Overall, its an OK watch for the price. I paid $65 shipped. It supposedly has a sapphire crystal and the usual features. However, I am not as impressed as others. It is clear there are a few varieties of this watch as some people post pictures with "maxi" dials and hands and some with the normal smaller dots and hands. Mine was the normal smaller size hour marker dots and hands version. It looks good, but after the initial glance, you start to see the faults. The case is poorly constructed and has a few pock marks. The bracelet is crap, even though it has solid end links and screw links, it's still lightweight and cheap feeling and looking. Some of the brushing on the bracelet wasn't even the right direction. The diver extension is good, but stiff. The clasp is thin and feels like it will break. The crown is screw down, which is good, has a visible o-ring which is good. However the outside of the crown was scratched when I got it. The bezel has a small scratch which was present when it arrived and there is a small piece of plastic stuck beneath the lume pip on the bezel (I can get it out with tweezers most likely). The bezel turns well, however. It's a 60 click counterclockwise bezel and it slots nicely and lines up nicely. The magnifier is about what it is on an invicta (not 2.5x), so it's basically useless in my opinion.

Overall, you get a good bit of watch for $65, however, why not just buy an Invicta 8926 OB and get better quality? I got my Invicta 8926 OB for $59 bucks to my door on the InvictaShark deal. You can routinely get it in the 60's just by emailing major sellers. With Invicta you get a warranty that works (yes, you might have to pester them a bit - we've heard the stories of poor customer support, but they'll do it). Solid water resistance you can count on, a Miyota movement that is a workhorse and solid as can be. The only downside is the lack of sapphire crystal, IMHO. The sapphire crystal isn't worth the downfalls of the manbushijie.

Just my $0.02.

-Ross
    Last edited by Foxglove; August 15th, 2009 at 06:52.

Anybody here tried the watchesu571 sterile subs found on ebay? They look enticing.

Well I think this is a decent homage and the bracelet is solid and uses screws to change links and has the divers extension. Of course I also wanted a different look so the second shot shows my effort.

paul

Doxa 600T Clive Cussler edition
    Breitling Superocean A17345
    Omega 2531.80
    RGM Sea3 Custom
    Ocean 7 LM3 #119

VINTAGE :

Zodiac Astrographic 2000
    Zodiac Sea Wolf(1964)
    LeCoultre Master Mariner (1970)
    Hamilton Thinmatic (1968)

Place of honor:

my '80's Seiko 5 which has been through the mill and still runs and tell adequate time.

Page 6 of 164 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 56 106 ... LastLast

Thread Information