Brand New Loreo sub broken out of the box - is repair worth considering?
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Synequano
  • 2 Post By ^Gurthang54
  • 1 Post By PhilH

Thread: Brand New Loreo sub broken out of the box - is repair worth considering?

Question Brand New Loreo sub broken out of the box - is repair worth considering?

I purchased a Loreo sub from AliExpress. Upon receipt, the watch will not wind and screwing/unscrewing the crown turns the hands. So it can't be set in addition to not winding.

I know next to nothing about automatic watches, but is it conceivable that maybe there is an easy fix?

Thanks for sharing any thoughts!

Re: Brand New Loreo sub broken out of the box - is repair worth considering?

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I purchased a Loreo sub from AliExpress. Upon receipt, the watch will not wind and screwing/unscrewing the crown turns the hands. So it can't be set in addition to not winding.

I know next to nothing about automatic watches, but is it conceivable that maybe there is an easy fix?

Thanks for sharing any thoughts!
    AliEx has very good customer support. You should take it up with the seller first, and if that doesn't work, with AliEx. You should be able to get a new watch sent to you. They probably won't even ask for you to return the defective one. If you don't know how to fix it, it won't be worth paying a watchmaker to do so.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ohhenry1 View Post
    AliEx has very good customer support. You should take it up with the seller first, and if that doesn't work, with AliEx. You should be able to get a new watch sent to you. They probably won't even ask for you to return the defective one. If you don't know how to fix it, it won't be worth paying a watchmaker to do so.
    Thanks for your reply. I am going through the dispute process with AliEx right now. The reason I'm curious about repairing the watch is that I have a hunch I'll end up keeping it. I hate for the thing to go to waste, so maybe the fix is something like the crown is inserted incorrectly. I don't really know.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sounds like the stem was cut too short. Ive seen this before on aftermarket crown and stems for SKX mods.

This is fixable if the stem can be removed from the crown. A new stem can be cut to fit. Your other choice would be to buy a new crown and then cut the stem but finding a crown to fit may be hard.

Cutting the new stem isnt hard but takes some practice and does require some specific tools. A watch repair shop should be able to do this quickly. You could most likely find new uncut stems for the movement on ebay.

You didn’t pay for a broken watch so contact the seller and see what they say about a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    You didn’t pay for a broken watch so contact the seller and see what they say about a replacement.
    Thanks. As noted above, I am working with the seller. I just learned they are providing a partial refund and I get to keep the broken watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Pissodes View Post
    Sounds like the stem was cut too short. Ive seen this before on aftermarket crown and stems for SKX mods.

This is fixable if the stem can be removed from the crown. A new stem can be cut to fit. Your other choice would be to buy a new crown and then cut the stem but finding a crown to fit may be hard.

Cutting the new stem isnt hard but takes some practice and does require some specific tools. A watch repair shop should be able to do this quickly. You could most likely find new uncut stems for the movement on ebay.
    Very interesting! So this would seem to imply that it would have never worked.

Partial refund and you got to keep a broken watch? I’d go for full refund or replacement from the seller as you clearly paid for something that doesn’t work as intended...
    fone likes this.

Get the full refund. No way should a non-functional watch every leave the factory floor, even at this price. How much QC is involved to check the crown/stem and winding function???
    ObiWonWD40 and fone like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Synequano View Post
    Partial refund and you got to keep a broken watch? I’d go for full refund or replacement from the seller as you clearly paid for something that doesn’t work as intended...
    Quote Originally Posted by ^Gurthang54 View Post
    Get the full refund. No way should a non-functional watch every leave the factory floor, even at this price. How much QC is involved to check the crown/stem and winding function???
    Thank you for the feedback. I do understand your concerns and agree that this is very bad QC.

I had a bit of a change of heart with this watch and decided I did not want a replacement. The options offered were to send it back (at my cost) or accept a partial (90%) refund and keep it. For such a cheap watch, I only lost about $7. Cheap lesson.

As noted above, maybe it can be repaired cheaply.
    brandon\ likes this.

Thread Information