WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

The Brotherhood of Submariner Homages (a/k/a BSHT) (Part 39)

152K views 4K replies 152 participants last post by  Brightling007 
#1 · (Edited)
BSHT Part 39.

As has become my custom of late, I have saved and reposted some of what I thought were the best posts from the previous thread as my way of launching the next installment. So when Brother Andi (ALPHA 56) shared his story of how he came to join us in the BSHT, I thought what better way to launch Part 39 than by recounting a few of our stories?

Our Stories:

ALPHA 56
"Today I want to tell you a story, my story.

Not so long ago, maybe a year, I was just hanging around on Instagram, and saw the BSH logo on a watch. I couldn't get it out of my head. I was so fascinated and immediately started looking for the manufacturer, only, there was no manufacturer?!?

I found something special that can hardly be described in words.

To understand the (hi)story of the BSH you have to take time and read a lot first. It is so much more, much more, than watches.

In the meantime I have gotten to know some of the Brothers. It is really a Brotherhood with everything that goes with it, and I do not want to miss that anymore.

Although I haven't been around for very long, I was lucky enough to meet a Brother in Germany. I will never forget that. Thanks Jay.

This is of course a short version of my story, and if anyone finds grammatical errors, feel free to keep them. :-d

I would have liked to write this story in more detail, but as you know my English is not so perfect. But as long as you understand what I wanted to say, everything is perfect."

MarkND
"I've been on WUS for 10 years, mostly an on and off affair. I would be on for a few months, then get tired of the negativity and dickishness I would see in some threads. You know the type, the anti-homage, my watch is better than yours, Seiko's suck, kind of business. I finally really checked out the BSH thread, because guys who profess a love of sub homages can't be too negative. After a short time I really got the message and overall theme of the BSH. Don't be a dick. We're all brothers who love watches. And we got each other's backs. Let's look at the positive and not the negative. Let's enjoy the watches we love, and share that with each other. We all come from different backgrounds, different countries, different professions, etc., and are united by a common bond."

Ham615
"I had not bought a watch in 4 years and 2 days when I started logging into WUS again. I had visited a few times, but I was pretty frustrated with the whole forum attitude when I stopped. I had been to the Best Submariner Homage Thread during my first five or six years, mainly to get ideas on what to buy. I bought a lot of the recommendations and sold a lot of them.

Long story short, I didn't connect the two. Best SH and Brotherhood of SH when I found the thread. I really liked the watches that were being built, and within a short time I could tell there was a difference in the whole attitude of the thread, ultimately the inclusiveness of the 'Hood. Before I found the thread, honestly I was at the point of I could do with or without WUS. I don't miss many days of checking in to see what everyone is doing and wearing now."

Dub Rubb
"Alright Bros. Big day for old Dub Rubb. One year ago today was my inaugural post in the BSHT (Part 31). I can't thank the 'Hood enough for all the fun times and empty pockets you have all given me over the past year. And I am sure for many more to come. Love you guys and Long Live the 'Hood!!!

For those who missed it, here is my intro post (Part 31 post #1206, the day Dubs watch journey changed for good.)

"Alright boys, introduction time. I have been following this thread in bits and pieces for about a year and a half and have finally decided to participate. (Those gilt dials look ridiculous.)
I don't have any Sub homages yet (aside from a Bagelsport somewhere, great name btw,) but have an Invicta Pro Diver on the way, and am getting a NTH Nacken Renegade from my wife to be on our wedding day.
The only mod I have done (aside from bezels and straps) has been a Seiko SKX007, and while not a sub homage, it has a couple of nods to subs. But hey, at least I have Stroopwaffles!
I am looking forward to being a part of the Brotherhood, and can't wait to get my hands on a BSH dial. I apologize in advance for any dumb questions I may have, but it seems that mod parts aren't as readily available for Pro Divers as they are for SKXs and Vostoks and these take some customization."

LifeTrekker
"On April 18th, 2015, in BSHT Part 6, your's truely joined the ranks of the BSHT with my first post and a picture of my very first sub homage, an Orient Black Ray. And while the Black Ray has since moved on to another home, it was my introduction to the BSHT, and thus will always hold a special place in my memories.

I have been interested in and worn watches most of my life, and while growing up in the '70's, I was always fascinated by the dive watches I saw on TV programs such as the Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau. In addition, a lifelong desire to SCUBA dive is something that was kindled in me during that time, but is unfortunately a dream I have never made come to fruition. Not yet anyway.

Back in early 2015 after many years of mostly wearing only digital tool watches such as the Timex Ironman Triathalon, I started my quest to find an affordable, classic, vintage style dive watch. I found many online resources and recommendations, and eventually narrowed my choices down to the Orient Black Ray and the Seiko SKX007. For a number of reasons I ultimately chose the Orient over the Seiko as my first dive watch, but style was the biggest deciding factor for me.

My Google search also lead me to the BSHT, and within this very special corner of the internet I found something totally unexpected, a true Brotherhood. I had participated in many online hobby related forums over the years, but this was a very different kind of place. It was full of thoughtful, intelligent, and witty people that didn't take themselves or their hobby of interest (in this case Submariner homages) too seriously. It was also filled with a bunch of enablers, as a result of which I now have a boatload of watches, (some might say a "Bucket of Seamen".) But the truely greatest thing I gained is a bunch of friends from all over the world, many of which I have been fortunate enough to meet in person. Such as our founder James (Fullers1845) in Dallas, and the designer of our logo Franco, (fmadrid) in Manila. Randy (rbesass) in Oregon, and John "JZ" (jelliottz) in Kansas. Daryl (*****) in Calgary, and Jim (xAEROPLANEx), and Kellen (kcoops) in Denver. Zach (Zachste) in Ohio, and Andrew (cyberwarhol), Shane (Ojibway Bob), Jeffrey (Drwindsurf) Jay (Firecrow911), and Daniel (dan_BSHT, formerly known as the_watchier) all in the Greater Toronto Area. Josh (Impoverished) in Indianapolis, Vincent (Brightling007) in The Netherlands, Andi (ALPHA 56) in Germany, and finally Mark (MarkND) in my very own home state of Minnesota. (What took us so long Brother?) It has been a pleasure to meet each and every one of you, and my hope is that I will be able to meet even more of you in person in the future.

Which leads me to one final thing.
I've been thinking about this for.a while now, and just as both James and Franco have done in the past, it is time for me to hand over the reins of the BSHT to someone else.

I have discussed this decision with both James and Franco, and Brother Justadad was the first person that came to all of our minds to be the new captain. We have asked, and Jason (Justadad) has graciously accepted the posting. So with that I now turn over the helm of the BSHT to the very capable Justadad.

And don't worry. I don't intend to leave completely, just as James and Franco haven't. You'll still be seeing me around.

Long Live The BSHT.

So say we all.

Welcome to BSHT Part 39. Let the B-ull-SH-iTing continue.

History of BSHT Captains:
BSHT - Parts 1 - 11 - Fullers1845
BSHT - Parts 12 - 20 fmadrid
BSHT - Parts 21 - 38 LifeTrekker
BSHT - Parts 39 - ? Justadad

Here are the links to the previous threads:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...share_tid=288923&share_fid=13788&share_type=t
Best Submariner Homage?

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...share_tid=778774&share_fid=13788&share_type=t
Best Submariner Homage (Part 2)

https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/best-submariner-homage-part-3-a-1079673
Best Submariner Homage (Part 3)

Best Submariner Homage (Part 4)

Best Submariner Homage (Part 5)

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...hare_tid=1789154&share_fid=13788&share_type=t
Best Submariner Homage (Part 6)

The Brotherhood of Submariner Homages (a/k/a BSHT) (Part 7)

The Brotherhood of Submariner Homages (a/k/a BSHT) (Part 8)

The Brotherhood of Submariner Homages (a/k/a BSHT) (Part 9)

The Brotherhood of Submariner Homages (a/k/a BSHT) (Part X)

The Brotherhood of Submariner Homages (a/k/a BSHT) (Part 11)

The Brotherhood of Submariner Homages (a/k/a BSHT) (Part 12)

Part 13 - Deleted for tomfoolery perpetrated by an unknown (cough... Justadad) assailant.

The Brotherhood of Submariner Homages (a/k/a BSHT) (Part 14)

The Brotherhood of Submariner Homages (a/k/a BSHT) (Part 15)

The Brotherhood of Submariner Homages (a/k/a BSHT) (Part 16)

The Brotherhood of Submariner Homages (a/k/a BSHT) (Part 17)

The Brotherhood of Submariner Homages (a/k/a BSHT) (Part 18)

The Brotherhood of Submariner Homages (a/k/a BSHT) (Part 19)

The Brotherhood of Submariner Homages. (a/k/a BSHT) (Part XX)

The Brotherhood of Submariner Homages (a/k/a BSHT) (Part 21) - It was hit by a 4th of July aerial shell and presumed destroyed. But someone found it laying in their yard and returned it. And surprise, surprise, it still works.

The Brotherhood of Submariner Homages (a/k/a BSHT) (Part 22)

The Brotherhood of Submariner Homages (a/k/a BSHT) (Part 23)

The Brotherhood of Submariner Homages (a/k/a BSHT) (Part 24)

The Brotherhood of Submariner Homages (a/k/a BSHT) (Part 25)

The Brotherhood of Submariner Homages (a/k/a BSHT) (Part 26)

The Brotherhood of Submariner Homages (a/k/a BSHT) (Part 27)

The Brotherhood of Submariner Homages (a/k/a BSHT) (Part 28)

The Brotherhood of Submariner Homages (a/k/a BSHT) (Part 29)

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...are_tid=4845521&share_fid=13788&share_type=t] The Brotherhood of Submariner Homages (a/k/a BSHT) (Part 30)

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...hare_tid=4879201&share_fid=13788&share_type=t
The Brotherhood of Submariner Homages (a/k/a BSHT) (Part 31)

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...hare_tid=4904549&share_fid=13788&share_type=t
The Brotherhood of Submariner Homages (a/k/a BSHT) (Part 32)

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...hare_tid=4934747&share_fid=13788&share_type=t
The Brotherhood of Submariner Homages (a/k/a BSHT) (Part 33)

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...hare_tid=4978529&share_fid=13788&share_type=t
The Brotherhood of Submariner Homages (a/k/a BSHT) (Part 34)

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...&share_fid=13788&share_type=t&link_source=app
The Brotherhood of Submariner Homages (a/k/a BSHT) (Part 35)

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...&share_fid=13788&share_type=t&link_source=app
The Brotherhood of Submariner Homages (a/k/a BSHT) (Part 36)

The Brotherhood of Submariner Homages (a/k/a BSHT) (Part 37)

The Brotherhood of Submariner Homages (a/k/a BSHT) (Part 38)

Here are some links to a couple of the BSHT Subsidiary Threads:

The Best BSHT Submariner Thread 'TBBST'

The BSH-GMT World Tour

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·

Made the jump without even waking the ferocious feline reclining in my lap. Unfortunately i had no choice but to go with whatever i had handy. So my trusty Marathon Jumbo Day Date helped me to track the proper time as my molecules were deranged and hopefully properly rearranged in the correct order. Oh my God! Ive got a giant puss..,, oh, its a cat.

Glad to be here, i think im still being rearranged.

Check in later. Need to lick my butt.

#6 ·
Wow Jay! TLDR!!

Just kidding!! You know I'm a completist and read every word!

No way to follow that up so I'm just gonna do what I do!

Color me surprised!

Hell..... You all looked shocked!!!

It is an honor and a privilege to chair this particular cabinet!

Some of you may not know me (yet). Some may have heard only whispers! Some of you, know me far better than you want to. And if the pics from Part 13 are to be trusted (they can't), some of you may know me in...... the biblical sense!

Regardless..... it was an honor to be thought of for this prestigious assignment. I only hope I can live up to the excellent work that James began, and Franco and Jay have maintained.

I also suspect Paul had something to do with this. Probably his way to tempt me back full time!

Anyhoo.......

Let the shenanigans begin!

"I should have checked myself." -guy who wrecked himself-

#31 ·
Absolutely nothing to do with me Justa, I knew nothing. However you, as always have my full support and love.
Jay, Congratulations on an excellent job guiding the mothership through many changes and growth, I salute you Boss man

#9 ·
Captain Justa!!! Well that’s just Dill-ightful.

Thanks Jay for keeping the ship afloat and leading this group of misfits with charisma and grace.

Let the shenanigans, umm well, continue!

Oh, and something, something clown cloud

#921 ·
...Oh, and something, something clown cloud
This arrived today, just in time to be always compliant.

Loving it already.

#10 ·
Made the jump, but landed with just one sock and a couple missing toes. All the important ones are still there, hopefully the rest will come with my bags. Something feels different this time though. Still familiar, but that jump just felt bumpier than usual and the number 13 kept flashing before my eyes. Don't know what that was about, but in true BSH fashion, I'll just blame Justa.

Wait, WHAT?!? It actually was Justa's fault?!? Had I known he had taken the reigns of the ship I would have been more careful. Anyways, congrats bro, and it's great to have you at the helm. I am sure you will will take good care of the hood, if not, we are self policing as you know [emoji6]

Cheers to our new fearless leader and a big thanks to LT for all of his hard work during the last several parts. Long live the 'hood! So say we all.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

#25 ·
Making the jump with a modded Invicta 1953 using the adapter designed by brother didymus03.

Not necessarily the final mod to it but something that I thought would work well with the adapter.

Parts arrived with a slight yikes when I saw that the bottom half of the adapter had a break where the cutout for the stem is, but didn't seem to be much of a factor.

Trying to capture a good pic of the adapter in the case - I used the one with the index markers.

And a couple of wristies.

Adapter works great without any sanding or other tweaks. May order a metal one next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#30 ·
Phew ... made the jump ... whatever ...

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.