Chronograph battery drain in watch not primarily designed around a chrono complication
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By docvail
  • 2 Post By Jtragic

Thread: Chronograph battery drain in watch not primarily designed around a chrono complication

Chronograph battery drain in watch not primarily designed around a chrono complication

Hi all,

Before I get told off, I did a search and found some interesting information on this question but I was wondering if anybody had any specific answers relevant to this watch.

I have a Citizen Eco Drive BL5250-02L with an E812 quartz movement, and in order to operate the chronograph function you must pull the crown out to the 1st position, rotate it to change the 6 o'clock subdial to 'CHR' mode, and then push the crown back in. At which point the second hand speeds round to rest at the 12 o'clock position and becomes the chronograph second hand. At this point if you push the top right hand pusher it activates the chronograph.

I'm happy that having a chronograph running all the time will have more demand on the battery. My question is, if I leave it in 'CHR' mode without operating the chrono will this have an effect on the battery either way? Will it save battery as the the second hand is not moving, drain it because it 'stands ready to be used' or something, or will it have no effect at all?

I would do this because it would enable quicker operation of the chrono and also because sometimes I find the ticking second hand distracting when trying to read the exact time. I know it's a light powered watch and it would be replenishing it's lost charge all the time anyway but i'm very curious.

Cheers

Re: Chronograph battery drain in watch not primarily designed around a chrono complication

Analogy..

does your car uses gasoline even if you are not moving? Why do you turn it off?
    ... What time is it? ...

Re: Chronograph battery drain in watch not primarily designed around a chrono complication

This doesn't exactly answer your question, but...

1. I don't know if keeping the watch in CHR mode uses more power, even if the chrono isn't running.

2. I wouldn't worry about it with an eco-drive, if you're keeping it powered all the time. I'd be more concerned if it was using a basic quartz module with a frequent need to replace the battery.

Tapatalk is all natural. Wash in cold water and tumble dry on low heat. Some talk shrinking may occur.
    MrDisco99 likes this.
    This used to be my signature, but now it's just this generic drawing of a watch.

I'm not on social media 24/7. It’s not a good way to reach me for support, or for me to deliver it. In order to best serve my customers, and manage my time effectively, I have turned private messaging off. The best way to reach me is using the support page of my website. Thanks for understanding.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by docvail View Post

2. I wouldn't worry about it with an eco-drive, if you're keeping it powered all the time. I'd be more concerned if it was using a basic quartz module with a frequent need to replace the battery.
    I agree.. and used to think the same way... why turn of the Auto Light Function of my G Shock?.. until the battery drained to a point I could not see the time.
    ... What time is it? ...

It will probably use more power in the chrono mode but it shouldn’t be a problem with that watch providing you keep it well charged.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsatz View Post
    Analogy..

does your car uses gasoline even if you are not moving? Why do you turn it off?
    It does if you’re idling.

Which is probably why the OP was trying to figure out if the CHR module was idling or off when the watch was set there.
    Ard and Ten-Ten like this.

Madness does not always howl. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

Ard

This is the only watch of this type I've ever used, it's old and I replaced both the movement and case. The movement was drawing way too much and was done for, the case was easier than replacing the seals and pressure tests well so it's basically new except the dial. I let the big seconds hand run all the time synched to the small seconds. Battery should last 3 years on this movement but I'll change at 2. Your watch has a capacitor for storage and I wouldn't worry about it.

Having that big seconds hand stuck at 12 all the time creeps me out.

Thread Information