Chronosport UDT / Casio AMW320 Mod
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Chronosport UDT / Casio AMW320 Mod

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I've always had a thing for analog digitals, as the champagne dial AMW320 was strapped to my wrist through the early 90's.

Once I saw the Chronosport UDT I lusted after it to no avail. Prices are way too high for my liking, in fact there's a non working one on eBay right now that looks like it went through a meat grinder missing buttons with bidding already at couple hundred dollars.

I have the black PVD version AMW320 so I thought I would try and mimic the look of the UDT.

I aged the lume on the dial and hands and placed a colored filter over the LCD portion of the AMW320.

So far I'm digging the mod and I am on the hunt for pencil style hands that fit the Casio movement, if I'm able to find something suitable I will mod the watch further.

The watch I used is a beater work watch with dings and scratches so no remorse if I screwed it up.

Here are pics of the Chronosport UDT stolen off the web

Here's the modified AMW320

And next to a brand new stock AMW320
    Lord Monocle, ox71, randb and 9 others like this.

Re: Chronosport UDT / Casio AMW320 Mod

Very nice mod. I have the AMW320C and always thought the hands are too short. Do you know what diamm should the hands have?

The Casio looks great. I think the current hands suit it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Nice work. I dig it.

You might want to look at the MQ24-1B for the hands: https://www.ebay.com/p/Casio-Mq24-1b...sic/1800346066. I have no clue if Casio has standard size hands.
    "Oh, nice. So now we're quoting other people to sound deep." -alx007

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei Mihaila View Post
    Very nice mod. I have the AMW320C and always thought the hands are too short. Do you know what diamm should the hands have?
    Thanks! I do not know the hand sizes, the "C" version uses 358 module and mine uses 2701 module. They are both proprietary Casio modules and I haven't been able to find any information on replacement hands. I've tinkered with a few 358 and 2701 modules and the second hand pinion is buried in the minute/hour hand pinion so measuring is near impossible.

I will be attempting a trial and error fitting session if I can find suitable hands, most likely broaching them to fit. I also have a thing for long hands and have had luck with other analog digital movements but they have used either Seiko or Citizen modules and there are many replacement hands for these brands as they are more widely used in many other brands.

Here is one where the original hands were very short baton style. I used Casio MDV 106 hands since the module inside the MDV 106 is Citizen and works in the Citizen analog digital module.

Here is another one I did, the watch originally had terribly extra small hands and looked like this

I modified it with extra long hands that came off a Fossil watch. Both the Fossil and analog digital Armitron used Seiko movements and the hands fit. Here is the result.

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    The Casio looks great. I think the current hands suit it.
    Thanks! The hands are acceptable but I wouldn't mind longer ones in the style of the UDT

Quote Originally Posted by brandon\ View Post
    Nice work. I dig it.

You might want to look at the MQ24-1B for the hands: https://www.ebay.com/p/Casio-Mq24-1b...sic/1800346066. I have no clue if Casio has standard size hands.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I've looked at that model and a few others with similar hands but the actual case sizes are between 36-40mm and the hands would be the same length as the current hands and some were shorter. The AMW320 is a large 44mm tank and I'm thinking that the hands will have to come off of similar sized watch.

Very nice work. You have a good eye for subtle detail that makes all the difference. Do you have a source for bezel, bezel insert and glass for these watches? What is the difference between the 2701 and the 5153 modules? I've nearly purchased one of these several times and never realized there are black versions. Now I'm on the lookout, thanks!
    Last edited by Hacknwind; 1 Week Ago at 09:03.
    Your focus is your reality - Qui-Gon Jinn

Thank you for the post. I will subscribe to the topic and if you have any new progress please post it here. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei Mihaila View Post
    Thank you for the post. I will subscribe to the topic and if you have any new progress please post it here. Cheers!
    I have about 6 Waveceptor analog vintage Casio's I'd like to tear down and refurbish or mod. Great practice for little money and nice pieces. But I need instruction. And where do Casio modders hang out?

As far as skills, I have some tools and I am at the "pretty good" refinishing stage, bushing, polishing.
    I'm at the "okay" battery replacement skills stage, but never removed a module or movement.

And i have most tools, but not all tools required.

Where should I go to learn to tear down and rebuild a Casio?
    A. replace crystals
    B. replace seals
    C. service pushers
    etc.

Considering Cerakote coatings and bead blasting for watches too far gone to restore finishes and add cool color combinations.

Here is a WVQ-500 I resurrected, polished and brushed by hand for 3 hours. Must get a machine method instigated, takes too long!
    The bezel is perfect, what looks like scratches in the photos are reflections.
    I used 3M metal finishing pads (3: fine, very fine, super fine) & 000 and 0000 steal wool and then silver polish on the highly polished bits.
    Oh, and lots of 3M original blue painters tape

Thanks

Edit: sorry, replied to the wrong poster
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your focus is your reality - Qui-Gon Jinn

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information