Clueless about Watches - looking for a gift for boyfriend
Like Tree199Likes

Thread: Clueless about Watches - looking for a gift for boyfriend

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Clueless about Watches - looking for a gift for boyfriend

Hi all,

As the subject says, I am clueless about watches but am looking for a gift for my boyfriend for Christmas. I have started doing some research and of course have come to realize there is SO much more to watches than I ever knew, so now I am feeling a little overwhelmed.

Anyway, I have only seen my boyfriend wear one watch. It is a Kenneth Cole (or Kenneth cole reaction) metal watch with metal strap. That is all I can remember about it. He liked wearing it, but something on it broke. So I casually mentioned that maybe I could get him a new one. We spent a very small amount of time glazing over some watches at a store, but I think it made him a little uncomfortable that we would be shopping for something for him, if that makes sense. So - as much as I would love for him to go out with me and pick one out, because I realize watches are very personal, I am not sure he is up for the shopping. If you all think this is definitely the way to go though I can try to convince him.

Anyway, here's what I know - He's 5'10 about 150 lbs to give you an idea of size (and help me figure out what size I should be looking for).

He likes minimal - no fancy compasses or dials all over the face. He's into mid century modern, minimal, type stuff just to give you an idea.

He likes mixed materials.

I think a metal watch, or brown leather (he wears brown leather shoes a lot - not sure if a watch is supposed to match shoes - see I'm clueless).

I was looking at some of these which I thought were very unique, but then read some later not so great reviews on these and other wood watches in general: HOLZKERN

Thoughts?

Budget around $300? I think it could be cool to get something with interchangeable straps so he has some options.

Oh , his look - pretty preppy - think J Crew.

Thank you all! Happy to provide more info if it would help. Just looking for a starting point right now - brands to look for, brands to avoid, watches you really like in this price range and style, etc.
    Twehttam likes this.

Re: Clueless about Watches - looking for a gift for boyfriend

How about something like a Victorinox Swiss Army Maverick, $247 at Amazon? Picture is mine since I own the same watch, it's quartz, and 43mm (Which may be too big..not sure)

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Ma...M/ref=sr_1_30?

here is it with a stainless bracelet: https://www.jomashop.com/victorinox-...ctpage-nosto-1

ShockMister likes this.
    Later, Gary

We are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors

If you or he have a good sense of humor here are some fun watches.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/fu...m-5071687.html
    brandon\ likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to the forums!

Lots of options under $300.

Sounds like you're looking for less sporty more dressy?

Most of us will probably tell you to avoid fashion brands like Michael Kors or Kenneth Cole or any of that stuff. They tend to be crap quality with expensive brands attached to them. And definitely don't go for any of that Daniel Wellington or MVMT junk.

Most watches will allow you to swap straps/bracelets. The key thing is getting one that has a standard lug width (18mm, 20mm, or 22mm). Avoid watches with 21mm lug width (a few popular models have this quirk) since you'll have a hard time finding straps for those... unless you think he'll be happy with the one that comes with it. You'd also need a springbar tool ($10 on Amazon) to change straps.

Sounds to me like you or he are not picky about quartz vs. mechanical movements. If that's the case, there's a whole world of affordable quartz watches for well under $300. Bulova, Citizen, Seiko, and Timex are well-respected brands with lots of affordable options.

If you want the prestige of a mechanical watch, the Seiko Presage series may be worth a look. Some cool designs in that range that would fit your budget. There are cheaper mechanical watches, but they tend to lack features that you're probably used to having on quartz watches (like being able to stop the second hand), or they're from no-name Chinese brands which can be risky on quality, especially for a gift.

Other members might have better suggestions. That's just what was at the top of my head when I saw this post.

Good luck!
    Sebast975 and Dub Rubb like this.
    IN THE BOX: Seiko SARB033, SKX007 (NH36), SNA411, SNK809 (rebuild), SUP880; Orient Bambino V3; Casio DW5600E; Timex Fairfield Small Seconds; Red Star 1963; Vostok 420059; Hamilton Khaki Field Auto; Tissot Le Locle Chronometre
    PURGED: Invicta Pro Diver; Rodina R005; Seiko SSB033 (mecaquartz chrono); Timex Easy Readers
    CATCH AND RELEASE: Casio GWM5610; Seiko SKX013, SKX173; Tissot Automatics III

Bless you for being so thoughtful.

Kenneth Cole (and similar) 'fashion brand' watches are based on 'looks and style' and are the common base models are made to meet a low price point. The major name brands (including Timex) produce a huge range of watches for any price point.

A $300 budget can buy a very nice quality watch that he will enjoy for a long time. From your post it appears he prefers a simple 'dress' or 'sport' style watch. No chronographs or diver style.

The simplest way is to find a nice quartz powered model (quartz is the most commonly used movement type).

Quality brands for reasonable $$$: Seiko, Citizen, Casio, Orient, Victorinox, Timex, Bulova, Tissot

Citizen & Seiko make watches w/ solar powered movements (Citizen calls theirs 'Eco-Drive') keep in the light and you (nearly) never have to change batteries. This is an improvement over the regular quartz/battery movements.

If you look at Long Island Watches or Creation Watches you'll find plenty of nice watches. Plus they stock extra straps and accessories. And 'black friday' deals abound.

Definitely a contender for some nice Bauhaus designs. Skagen would be a quick choice. Sternglas would be my pick for design.
    Viseguy likes this.
    -Are we having fun yet?
    https://audiolesswpg.blogspot.com/

I would suggest these two. They are both minimalistic styled watches. They can go with just about any outfit and are both sized well for his wrist.
    Both can be found on amazon as well.

Timex Fairfield

Bulova 96b104

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MrDisco99 and brandon\ like this.

Just read the comment above me. +1 on the sternglas. Very cool designs. I’ve considered getting one myself. I would suggest quartz unless he has shown interest in mechanical watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want to get crazy, how about a vintage 60s Seiko? Nick at DC Vintage Watches has two I've been eyeing and hoping someone buys to put me out of my misery - a 1960 Seiko Crown and a 1964 Seiko Champion, both for $350.

Otherwise, if new, I'd suggest an Orient Star Classic 38mm from Marc at Long Island Watch ($329-339 w/ 5% off for new customers) or a Timex Marlin 34mm Hand Wind from either Timex direct or from Todd Snyder ($199 and there's usually a 10% off coupon).

I would not recommend a vintage watch to a casual wearer.

Vintage watches require more than the usual amount of care. If you do go vintage, make sure you have a skilled watchmaker you can take it to for service, including when you first acquire it.
    X2-Elijah, TheJohnP and azkid like this.
    IN THE BOX: Seiko SARB033, SKX007 (NH36), SNA411, SNK809 (rebuild), SUP880; Orient Bambino V3; Casio DW5600E; Timex Fairfield Small Seconds; Red Star 1963; Vostok 420059; Hamilton Khaki Field Auto; Tissot Le Locle Chronometre
    PURGED: Invicta Pro Diver; Rodina R005; Seiko SSB033 (mecaquartz chrono); Timex Easy Readers
    CATCH AND RELEASE: Casio GWM5610; Seiko SKX013, SKX173; Tissot Automatics III

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information