Dress Watch Comparison
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Dress Watch Comparison

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Dress Watch Comparison

Hi all,

Iíve been looking for a dress watch (hand winding, 33mm-36mm, <10mm thin, light dial with good detail) under £2000. Above this, and Iíd jump up to 34mm JLC Ultra Thin. The watch is as a gift from my late grandmother from some money that sheís left me.

Iíve narrowed it down to a vintage 36mm 18ct IWC cal. 89 or a 35mm Nomos Orion. The IWC is currently winning, its got buckets of vintage charm, and reminds me more of my nan. My concern is how the finishing would compare with a modern watch like the Nomos. Does anyone have first hand experience with these? Either one would be a forever watch, so resale isnít relevant. With this in mind, which is more timeless? Availability of parts in the future is also important.
    The Nomos I would wear more than the IWC, but I also appreciate the excitement that goes along with keeping something for special occasions (from dinner dates to weddings).

Other suggestions are also appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Dress Watch Comparison

For some reason the photo of the IWC didnít post, so here it is

I'd chose IWC although both are great watches. IWC is higher end brand than Nomos and it has a long history so I don't think that servicing the watch in the future will be a problem although it might be more expensive. But you should check that the one you'll buy is serviced or if not it should be taken into account in the price. And you would probably get more replies in other sub forums than F71 as this is for the affordable watches.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I thought I posted this in the public forum, apologies - would a mod mind moving this please?

Iím heavily leaning to the IWC, will a 55-70 year old IWC be finished to the same standard as a new Nomos? I know very little about vintage dress watches, and would appreciate some suggestions. Iíve looked at Omega, JLC, Longines, Universal Geneve and Tudor. Either gold or SS is fine - but not keen on two tone. Iím also open to modern dress watches, but most are too large for my tastes.

Dress Watch Comparison

In my mind there is only one classic dress watch - The Patek Calatrava with the hobnail bezel in yellow gold and white enamel dial - end of.

But please take a look at the MontBlanc Heritage Chronometrie Manual ultra slim. The non-date version that is.
    I am looking at one as well for less formal scenarios.

Keep us posted on what you end up going with!

Quote Originally Posted by alpharulez View Post
    In my mind there is only one classic dress watch - The Patek Calatrava with the hobnail bezel in yellow gold and white enamel dial - end of.

But please take a look at the MontBlanc Heritage Chronometrie Manual ultra slim. The non-date version that is.
    I am looking at one as well for less formal scenarios.
    If I had that money for a watch Iíd get a Lange 1 in white gold (or a JLC Master Control Sector Dial AND a SubC Date), but I agree that the Calatrava is an icon, even if Iíd never go anywhere posh enough to wear it!

I do like the MontBlanc, but at 38.5mm its too large to me for an all dial dress watch - my everyday watch is only 36mm. I know that may seem to contradict the JLC and Lange 1 mentioned above, but I feel that the dial layouts allow for a couple extra millimetres.

There are many good reviews of the new Orient Bambino, maybe you can consider it. Otherwise the Tissot Le Locle collection is also a good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by 00st View Post
    There are many good reviews of the new Orient Bambino, maybe you can consider it. Otherwise the Tissot Le Locle collection is also a good choice.
    40mm is far too large, the bambino is not always the answer ;) theyíre also automatic and thick with mediocre finishing. Brilliant value for £100, but not what Iím looking for unfortunately

OnTheRoad99 likes this.

IWC cal. 89 is considered to be one of the best movements ever made so it probably ranks above the Nomos Alpha in finishing. See for example this article: https://quillandpad.com/2018/05/23/e...wc-caliber-89/ Buying vintage watches is always a bit chanllenging as you need to know what you are buying. I'm not an expert on vintage but I would say that IWC is probably a quite safe option.
    Nomos Alpha is actually based on ETA Peseux 7001 which is not that new movement but Nomos builds the movement themselves and they have made some significant changes to it so it kind of qualifies as an inhouse movement. But their Neomatic movements are completely new desing althoug more expensive and automatic. But my guess would be that IWC cal. 89 is better finished. As for the case etc. I don't know which one is better. IWC probably doesn't have sapphire crystal and as a vintage watch the case could be polished or the dial restored which might not be desirable. I guess you could get more information by posting a question about finishing etc. in the IWC forum.
    Other alternatives which came into my mind could be Longines Elegance 34.5mm which comes in different dial and case material options but has just an ETA movement: https://www.longines.com/watches/the.../l4-809-4-12-2
    (edit: it's an automatic so doesn't fit your criteria)

Name:  Longines.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  57.8 KB

Another more affordable option could be Stowa Antea KS Rose which has ETA Peseux 7001. It's based on a model from 1930's. https://www.stowa.de/en/Antea+Klassik+KS.htm

Name:  bauhausuhr_antea_ks_rose-stowa-1300.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  39.5 KB
    Last edited by Sasropakis; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:54.
    Rugbyboy96 likes this.

The Nomos is a collection of modernist, clean, expensive sticks arranged in circles. It would bore me to tears to wear it.

The IWC, on the other hand, is a thing of pure beauty and oozes character and class.

Have you thought about a vintage gold Cartier Tank? Dress watches don't get more timeless than that.
    Rugbyboy96 and JakeJD like this.
    Citizen Promaster Diver CA0716-19E (100th anniversary limited edition) | Citizen Brycen CA0640-86L | Citizen Promaster Diver BN0151-09L | Citizen Promaster Nighthawk BJ7000-52E | Casio G-Shock GD350-1B | Timex Navi Harbor | Shinola Runwell | Tissot PRX Classic Chronograph

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information