End of battery life or something worse?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By skywatch

Thread: End of battery life or something worse?

End of battery life or something worse?

I tried posting this question in the Tissot forum. Got a number of reads, but no responses. I figured I'd try posting here in my "home" forum. If it's a silly question... I seek pity, if not forgiveness.

-------------
    My PRC 200's second hand is still powered (as are the sub dials), but the minute and hour hands aren't powered. They do move freely when adjusting them.

Could this scenario possibly be erratic action from the end of the battery's life? Or might I suppose something else is going on?

Thanks, in advance.

P.S. Of course I don't have the warranty (cheapskate that I am). Grey market.

Re: End of battery life or something worse?

It might be the battery or the movement. Hard to say. You could take it to your watch person to have a battery swap and ask them your question. All quartz chronos have separate motors driving the various functions. One of the motors might have died, or it might need more current than a half-dead battery can provide. A test-swap with new battery will answer that. A new movement shouldn't cost a fortune, but the labor will cost more. Good luck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by crash red hot View Post
    I tried posting this question in the Tissot forum. Got a number of reads, but no responses. I figured I'd try posting here in my "home" forum. If it's a silly question... I seek pity, if not forgiveness.

-------------
    My PRC 200's second hand is still powered (as are the sub dials), but the minute and hour hands aren't powered. They do move freely when adjusting them.

Could this scenario possibly be erratic action from the end of the battery's life? Or might I suppose something else is going on?

Thanks, in advance.

P.S. Of course I don't have the warranty (cheapskate that I am). Grey market.
    Shepperdw likes this.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

"Watches tie people to the celestial clockwork... but people have been encouraged by their clocks to ignore the daily and seasonal cycles and to pretend that there is nothing to contend with but metronome-paced linear time. We appear to have caged the sun inside a machine." Michael Young, The Metronomic Society, p. 204

Thanks for the response. Just the kind of info that I was looking for. Very much appreciated.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It sounds like a movement issue. Generally the second hand will skip a few seconds in a rhythmic pattern for an end of life indicator. Either way skywatch is right. Take it to a watch guy and have him swap the battery and take it from there.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Click HERE to visit my watch review channel

Luckily, it was just the battery (so it seems). Thanks again for the help.

Thread Information