ETA Clones/Approximations
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: ETA Clones/Approximations

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question ETA Clones/Approximations

I've been hanging out on F71 long enough to know that there are at least a handful of preferred alternatives to the ETA 2824 movement. Ones that immediately come to mind:

Sellita SW200
    SeaGull ST2136
    Miyota 8215 / 9015
    Soprod A10

There may be others...the question then becomes...is any one of these clones superior in terms of build and reliability? Also, I apologize if this is ignoring some old thread about it...no searches turned anything up. My question is...all other things being equal, would you be more inclined to buy a micro brand such as a Halios if they used something other than Miyota for instance? Is it that big of a deal ultimately, or is QC solid across the board?
    In Rotation:
    Archimede Outdoor
    Rodina Small Seconds Nomos Homage
    2013 F72 CMW ST-5 - Red Dial
    <<<Glashutte Original Panorama 70s Date>>>

WatchRecon List:
    Seiko SCVS013 "Blue Spark"
    Seiko SARB001 (Blue) or SARB005 (Orange/Caramel)
    Seiko "Samurai" SBDA003 (Blue) or SBDA005 (Orange)
    CMW F72 2011 Moonphase Project Watch

Grails (mostly due to wife & 2 kids):

Ball Trainmaster 120 (NM288D-PG-LJ-SL)
    Sinn T2 Fully Tegimented

Inactive

Re: ETA Clones/Approximations

Peacock SL3000 - compared with an old 2824 and a new st2130 here
    aratron likes this.

I don't (knowingly) have experience of the Soprod or Seagull, but I don't think I'd think much differently about having a Sellita SW200 or Miyota 9015 instead of a 2824-2.

I'd expect to pay about the same for the Sellita and a bit less for the Miyota (because it won't be 'Swiss Made'), but I wouldn't have a strong preference either way.

The 8215 is not in the same league.
    Perdendosi likes this.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have a handful of 2824s, a couple 9015s, and one ST2136.

Honestly, I can not tell the difference. Even the fabled Miyota "marble in a pop can" noise is barely discernible, and I (think I) can still hear. I guess time will tell with respect to reliability, but even that is a bit of a crapshoot. Reading stories on the internet does not give you any sort of reliable sample size to determine whether there are actually reliability issues, and even then, there are WAY too many variable between manufacturers, end users and watch designs to draw any useful conclusions.

In short, I don't really care at all if a movement is Swiss Made or not, and in the increasingly global economy, I don't think it makes sense for anybody to care much. Beyond history, and possibly elitism, it just doesn't matter much any more.
    Last edited by SRBakker; May 22nd, 2014 at 18:40.
    Insert witty tagline here.

Plus with the Swiss-branded movements especially you can order different grades. How much of a functional difference that makes vs. purely aesthetic is open for debate.

The 8215 is fine. I'd buy a watch with one, but I'm not kidding myself that it's an equivalent movement. I don't necessarily mind not having to pay pricing premiums when it's not necessary though.

I see criticism of watches that have enough non-Japanese content to be marked as "made in XYZ country" but use a Miyota or SII movement and get raked over the coals for it. I don't really think that criticism is necessary.

In the non-affordable watch market, there seems to maybe be some prejudice against Sellita as "just cloning ETA", which I likewise believe to be unfair.
    Choose a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life because that field isn't hiring.

Looking at the comparison Der Amf posted up above, the biggest issue is perhaps QC. It'd be interesting to see who wound up with winners and losers of the same variants. It would take some time and fiddling to get to the bottom of that sort of thing though, I suspect.

Inactive

Buy Chinese, pay for a reliable service . . . are you up or down? ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post

up ;)

Name:  T2rnqsXrVXXXXXXXXX_!!831659287.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  98.7 KB

Prefer the SB1 myself.
    Unsure where/what base though.
    Bi-directional winding; positive and easily found date change position; smooth handwind; solid feel to the crown.
    Probably not an ETA clone then ;)

Buy Chinese, LEARN AND DIY service ... definitely up

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Chascomm likes this.
    Rolex Explorer II, Rolex Sub 16610, Rolex Speedking, Omega Planet Ocean, Omega 1930s Deco, Breitling Avenger, Girard-Perregaux Gyromatic, PAM 111, Movado WWII Bumper, Gruen 1930s Tonneau, Poljot Mechanical Alarm Caliber 2612, & Chrono 3133, Tudor Prince Oysterdate, Debaufre GMT Ocean 2893-2, Movado Kingmatic, Sea-gull 1963 Re-issue, Marathon GSAR, Tissot T-Touch, Steinhart SAWLE, Sea-gull ST8000SK Skeleton, Seiko 7002, Parnis Portuguese ST25, Orient Worldtimer, Orient Retro Camera, Orient Mako, Omega Speedmaster, Rolex Airking, Vostok Amphibia, Tudor Submariner, Sea-gull M199S, Seagull ST5 Export, Bulova Accutron Spaceview 214, Omega Constellation Pie Pan, Beijing Galaxy GMT

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information