Found: Swiss Army Watch
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By OvrSteer
  • 1 Post By torchddv
  • 2 Post By OvrSteer
  • 1 Post By torchddv

Thread: Found: Swiss Army Watch

Found: Swiss Army Watch

Years ago I acquired a love seat from my now departed grandmother. Today my grandson found a watch stuffed down the crack between seat and arm. I don't recognize it and assume it came with the couch. Trying to track down the owner, but none of my surviving uncles recognize it as being theirs or my grandfather's.

I am interested in any information about this watch, just out of curiosity, but especially a probable age. Google suggests it was indeed made by or for "Victorinox" (the original Swiss Army Knife people) some time after 1989, possibly before 2002. (So it may not really be "vintage". I'm not sure how that's defined here.)

The face says "Swiss Army" and "Automatic", black on silver with a red logo at 12 o'clock and red military hour markers. It features a bilingual (French-English) day/date. The lume is fairly bright but extremely short lived.

The back movement cover has a crystal showing off the movement and says "SWISS ARMY BRAND", "INCABLOC", "WATER RESISTANT TO 330 FEET" and "STAINLESS STEEL". The case itself bears a serial number, 800234176. The weight in the movement is inscribed "TWENTY-FIVE 25 JEWELS SWISS MADE"

Any info would be appreciated.

Re: Found: Swiss Army Watch

Vintage is usually 30+ years.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Offhand, I'd say that it's from the 1990s or early 2000s and has an ETA 2824. I agree: not really vintage so I'll move this to "Affordables".

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'd agree with what everyone has said so far. "25 jewels Swiss made" usually means that the watch has the venerable 2824-2 movement. INCABLOC on the case would indicate that it has incabloc shock resistance, and would therefore be a "TOP" grade movement. ETA 2824 vs 2892 ? As The Watch Turns (I don't know if ETA used incabloc shock resistance in lower-quality movements in the 1990s or 2000s, which they don't do today.)

In the 1990s, "Swiss Army" was used by two different organizations in the U.S., Victorinox and Swiss Army Brands, used the "Swiss Army" name on products in the U.S., but by 2005 Victorinox acquired all those interests. But because this looks very similar to a number of currently available VSA "Original" or "Officer's" watches, I'd bet it was a Victorinox.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victorinox

Compare: https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-24...original+watch (this is a quartz watch, but with a very similar face and hands design.)

EDIT:
    Here's a nearly identical one on eBay. The seller lists it as "modern (2000-present), but if that's the case, I'd guess it's closer to 2000 than to present, based on case size alone.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-SWI...ss!84102!US!-1

- Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Current collection:
    Oris Big Crown Pointer Date (in red!) | Oris Artix Date | Glycine Airman DC-4 GMT | Christopher Ward C60 600 White Trident | Poljot Journey Chronograph | Nth Naken Renegade | Hamilton Jazzmaster Square | Citizen Grand Classic | Kronaby Apex | Seiko Save-the-Ocean Samurai | Prometheus Jellyfish Yellow | Spinnaker Bradner | Heimdallr Bronze Turtle (6309 Homage) | Seiko SSC509 Solar World Time Quartz Chronograph | Undone Modern Chrono | Bulova UHF Military 96B229 | Raketa "Big Zero" |

I'd concur that this is most likely a post-1995, pre-2005ish Victorinox. You've found one with a good movement and most of the "original" case watches were inexpensive, entry-level quartz. The eBay listing is probably not entirely wrong in terms of pricing, and while yours is in a typically 'used' condition, at least you have the correct bracelet with it.

Short version, clean off the gunk and you have yourself a nice watch. If it keeps good time, you're good to go. If it's losing or gaining more than ~30sec/day you probably need to find a watchmaker (NOT a typical jewlery store) and get an overhaul done. The movement is very common so no issues getting something like that serviced. Current Victorinox models use the same movement for example.
    Perdendosi likes this.
    Choose a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life because that field isn't hiring.

Cool info!

I've managed to trace the owner. It was lost 18 years ago, to the month, before I got the loveseat, and was a gift from my sister to her husband. She gave it to him 2 years prior, so the earliest date of manufacture possible is 1998. Needless to say, the watch will be returned to the rightful owner!

My sister wants to give my grandson a reward for finding it. She has suggested a boys watch... <lol>
    B79 likes this.

Tell her that she needs to get you a more advanced model for your "inner boy" as a reward...

https://www.jomashop.com/victorinox-watch-241721.html

(And yes, $995 is a pretty good sale. $1400-1500 is more typical for VSA's current flagship model.)
    Perdendosi and jaliya48 like this.
    Choose a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life because that field isn't hiring.

Quote Originally Posted by torchddv View Post
    Cool info!
    I've managed to trace the owner. It was lost 18 years ago, to the month, before I got the loveseat, and was a gift from my sister to her husband. She gave it to him 2 years prior, so the earliest date of manufacture possible is 1998. Needless to say, the watch will be returned to the rightful owner!
    My sister wants to give my grandson a reward for finding it. She has suggested a boys watch... <lol>
    Finding a nice watch is pretty cool. Returning it to the person who lost it is even better. Very good story.
    As for your grandson's new watch, a Vic like dad's is gonna cost. But Timex, or maybe Casio, can get the styling close, for not much money.
    The best things in life are analog.

Quote Originally Posted by OvrSteer View Post
    Tell her that she needs to get you a more advanced model for your "inner boy" as a reward...
    You don't think that is a bit much for a 6 year old?

My sister is a kind, generous, giving person, and she was born at night -- but it wasn't last night. I'm pretty sure that dog won't hunt.
    OvrSteer likes this.

Thread Information