WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Freshhhhh Tool Watch

4K views 34 replies 24 participants last post by  Ash.Bez 
#1 · (Edited)
I really love my Microbrands and by far my favourite has to be E.C.Andersson. I have three already! There just seems to be something about their style that really clicks with me.

Yesterday, they announced their new release, the Denise Arctic Sport and again I'm hooked! I know the styling may not be to everyone's liking but you can never say that they play it safe which is quite unique in the micro world which is full of sub wannabes.

I'm liking that they haven't gone for the full-on lume dial which I always feel looks cheap as the off-white in natural light just looks odd. This is pure white through and and through which is pretty unheard of. Now time to start saving before the pre-sale discounts disappear.

Edit: well my mind has now been made up, ECA have just released pictures of the new bracelet and I'm sold, it looks even better on steel imo. Add to that, I will be able to use the bracelet on my previous Denise too which looks equally good on the steel.

What's everyone else's thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#12 ·
it's not my cup of tea either. I don't like the case shape and that diamond on the minute hand would drive me nuts.

I really like the placement of the power reserve though.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Their case designs are one of the things that draws me to them. They look amazing in the flesh. I was in two minds about my first purchase but pictures never do the watch justice. I like that they have they're own style which for a micro is very rare. The flowing bevelled edges of the case really give their watches a great look close up.

#13 ·
I think the orange strap accentuates what you're referring to tbh. My Denise looks amazing in the flesh and those lugs are part of the overall look. I know they're bigger than average but I think a wider strap with thinner lugs would give the watch a weaker look.

#22 · (Edited)
I can speak from experience and say that I have been very pleased with the quality of my previous ECA purchases. My previous Denise also gave me my first zero secs/day measurement. I wear these in rotation and all of them look and feel amazing. I was in two minds as to whether to go for the previous Arctic after I had already purchased the original Calypso but I'm so glad that I chose to go for it as it's a very unique looking watch just like the new Denise Arctic.

#15 ·
Back to the drawing board....

-way too many differing shapes used...you got squares, triangles, rectangles, diamonds, circles...am I missing any?

-the "N" at 6 o clock makes no sense and if it does stand for "North"....well, the irony of that, given how dysfunctional this design is, is quite rich.

Yes, the design is different, but that doesnt make it good. Anybody can take a bunch of random pieces from other watches and jumble them all up here. There are "homage" cues here for sure. I.e. case lugs of the 6 digit Sub and Tudor Snowflake immediately jump out.

What language is "Automatisk" btw?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

#18 ·
Back to the drawing board....

-way too many differing shapes used...you got squares, triangles, rectangles, diamonds, circles...am I missing any?

-the "N" at 6 o clock makes no sense and if it does stand for "North"....well, the irony of that, given how dysfunctional this design is, is quite rich.

Yes, the design is different, but that doesnt make it good. Anybody can take a bunch of random pieces from other watches and jumble them all up here. There are "homage" cues here for sure. I.e. case lugs of the 6 digit Sub and Tudor Snowflake immediately jump out.

What language is "Automatisk" btw?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Automatisk is Swedish, Norwegian and Danish for Automatic.

As to why the "N" is at the 6 o'clock position, maybe Seiko's Rotating Compass Bezel instructions can best explain as to why the north is placed at the 6 o'clock position:

https://storage.seikowatches.com/production/files/2018/03/20/143404808823/pdf/SEIKO_RCR07.pdf

#17 ·
I like a lot of the styling details and the pure white bezel, but I don't like that there's no lume on said bezel. Is that an extra central power reserve hand or just a tail on the minute hand?

Otherwise I do like the handset and the auto-winding direction(?) on the dial along with the unusual looking 15 minute scale.
...Oh, looked it up, central-power reserve hand and scale. Weirdly done scale but still interesting.

I even like the wide lugs in a weird way. They're weird but I like them. Hell, I think one of my concept models actually had similarly oversized lugs, but as a mistake (lol).

But 999 euros for that?
Ouch.
Really. I like it, but 999 euros is a pretty high asking price.
Oh, and the N-indicator to supposedly use the bezel as a compass is a nonsensical idea.

#23 ·
I like these watches style wise. The maxi style case with the large flattish lugs remind me of Helson watches, which plenty of people also seem to like.

Specs are good except for the movement. At that price I'd like to see at least a 9xxx. Better yet an ETA (are they still supplying micros?) or Sellita. Or if sticking with the NH series (which I really like) bring the price down a bit.

But all in all I like the fact that these seem to carry unique but workable design qualities. I would definately have one on my shortlist if the price was right.

Enjoy yours in good health!!

#26 ·
I'm sorry that you got so many negative, albeit honest, comments. I've learned that if I like a watch, it's best not to ask for others' opinions on here. LOL It'll just bring you down, if you let it. :)
It's ok, the world would be pretty boring if we all liked the same things. There is some compliments in there too and I don't get phased at all as we're all entitled to our opinions. The movement doesn't bother me at all either, I know it's come up a lot but there's far more to a watch than a movement in my eyes. If they chose another then the PR wouldn't be centrally placed like it currently is and I feel that this gives the Denise's dial perfect balance and is one of it key design features.

#27 ·
I have been amazed here with so many views which are quite demanding stating for this price i want this or that or this and that and the other.

What ae have here Is a guy in Sweden that makes nais pieces in his own way under his signature design. Each release is within a certain concept and that is interesting for a collector.

For those that are fascinated by details - personally, I am not - they chose a workhorse movement and they tuned it down within the limits of the COSC certification. And al that for less than a thousand. Even if their in box certificate is a print out from the machine that measures the accuracy, let’s see that they do have a concept and they ship out a product that is hard to find among other micros.

Life is simple: you like it, you take it. Should you like it, neither the movement nor the lugs, nor the color, nor the lack of ice cold weather certification can stop you.

Ash.bez may you enjoy your pieces in good health and wear them a lot so to leave those to your kids with some memories and stories to remember

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

#30 ·
I have been amazed here with so many views which are quite demanding stating for this price i want this or that or this and that and the other.

What ae have here Is a guy in Sweden that makes nais pieces in his own way under his signature design. Each release is within a certain concept and that is interesting for a collector.

For those that are fascinated by details - personally, I am not - they chose a workhorse movement and they tuned it down within the limits of the COSC certification. And al that for less than a thousand. Even if their in box certificate is a print out from the machine that measures the accuracy, let's see that they do have a concept and they ship out a product that is hard to find among other micros.

Life is simple: you like it, you take it. Should you like it, neither the movement nor the lugs, nor the color, nor the lack of ice cold weather certification can stop you.

Ash.bez may you enjoy your pieces in good health and wear them a lot so to leave those to your kids with some memories and stories to remember

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk
Thank you. I ask for people's opinions because I am genuinely interested. Movement comments don't phase me as I have a different opinion, this isn't to say it's right but it's right for me.

Anyway, any doubts I did have (of which they were very little) are now gone. ECA have just released pictures of the new bracelet that will accompany the new Arctic and it's perfect. I've been looking at aftermarket bracelets for my current Denise for a while and couldn't decide but this just works to me. Finishes of the Arctic perfectly.

#31 ·
I'm not sure I agree with your statement that the new bracelet is "perfect"... It's a jubilee style, and I don't find the slightly blingy look of that and the rounded links to at all match the blocky and chunky look of the watch itself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.