Getting bored of the same old designs
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Getting bored of the same old designs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Getting bored of the same old designs

i’m hoping somebody can link me to some unique watches… I’m getting fed up of every Watch looking like a knockoff homage. There doesn’t seem to be any imagination – but I’m happy to be proven wrong! One watch that I have fallen in love with is the Meistersinger luna moon phase watch. It’s beautiful and the single hand design is of course different. But I’m open to everything… I’m hoping someone here will inspire my next purchase… I suppose to be fair I should put a budget let’s say maximum €200? So go on then show me what you’ve got!
    Zzyzx likes this.

Avo

Re: Getting bored of the same old designs

Plenty of original designs in the microbrand universe, but you'll need to at least double and more likely triple your budget.

At double the budget, Direnzo and Vratislavia Conceptum come to mind as possibly original enough for you.
    Last edited by Avo; 1 Week Ago at 21:47.
    Perdendosi, Zzyzx, Ragl and 1 others like this.
    Sharper Image moonphase, Ronda 708 quartz (my only watch for 20+ years)
    Citizen BM8242-08E Ecodrive, black dial, gold-tone case
    Citizen AP1042-03A Ecodrive moonphase, white dial, gold-tone case
    Sartego Ocean Master SPA27, yellow dial, Miyota 8215
    Christopher Ward C5 Aviator Mark I, black dial, ETA 2824
    Chinese Mechanical Forum 2011 project watch, moonphase, Sea-Gull ST25
    Casio G-Shock AWGM100B-1A, analog solar atomic
    Kadloo Scubamarine, black dial, ETA 2824
    Aevig Huldra, orange dial, Miyota 9015
    Makara Hawksbill Sea Turtle, bronze case, maroon dial, Seiko NH35
    Ginault Ocean Rover, black dial, Ginault 7275
    Boldr Odyssey, white dial, Seiko NH35
    Borealis Portus Cale, white dial, Miyota 9015
    Hamtun Neon, full-lume dial, STP 1-11
    Vratislavia Conceptum Pan-Africa, green dial, Miyota 9015
    Vostoc Classica, white dial, Vostoc 2409
    Limes Pharo Finesse, silvered dial, ETA 6498
    Grails: RGM 801-PS-CE, GO PanoMaticLunar, ALS 1815 moonphase LE

We've entered into an era of vintage revivals, and that's leading to a lot of sameness. Likewise, I can think of a lot of really clever stuff, but at 2-3x your budget.

Brew
    Visitor
    Straton
    Draken
    Zelos
    DiRenzo and Vratislavia have been mentioned

etc. etc.

The used market might deliver?

For the new market, brands like Torgoen and Spinnaker are making stuff that doesn't really look like Rolex.
    Last edited by OvrSteer; 1 Week Ago at 23:07.
    Perdendosi and Zzyzx like this.
    Choose a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life because that field isn't hiring.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraT View Post
    i’m hoping somebody can link me to some unique watches… I’m getting fed up of every Watch looking like a knockoff homage. There doesn’t seem to be any imagination – but I’m happy to be proven wrong! One watch that I have fallen in love with is the Meistersinger luna moon phase watch. It’s beautiful and the single hand design is of course different. But I’m open to everything… I’m hoping someone here will inspire my next purchase… I suppose to be fair I should put a budget let’s say maximum €200? So go on then show me what you’ve got!
    Yep, I totally agree. All the sub lookalikes are getting a bit old for me. I found this one (Ventus Northstar) recently for around about your budget and haven't stopped wearing it since. Absolutely fab to look at and a bit different...
    Name:  IMG_20191109_131221_cr.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  1.92 MB
    Zzyzx, Chronopolis and Viseguy like this.

Vostok makes quirky-looking watches for under €100.

Or you can check out Chinese watches, Aliexpress has all sorts of odd designs for a low price if you look hard enough. Not saying the designs are original or good, but you can certainly find a lot of interesting-looking stuff

I have a similar feeling nowadays, sometimes but not always.
    I saw a nice watch on Ali, didn't know it was a copy, then by chance I spotted on google images that the original is a Braun, so I bought a Braun,

Name:  IMG_20191127_000052.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  709.3 KB
    ●7.25●

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking for here. Are you asking for affordable watches that are not homages? Or affordable watches that have "out-there" designs? If the former, what do you mean by a "knockoff homage?" If the latter, how "original" does the design have to be?

Let's take the Orient Mako. Well within your price range.
    Name:  51hOvEhN-wL._AC_UY879_.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  61.2 KB
    It has a diver's bezel, an oyster-style bracelet, and a kind-of, sort-of, in-the-neighborhood-of-Sub-style case. Yet, it looks almost nothing like a Sub. It has its own design language. Is this a "same old design" or not?

Similarly, how about the Citizen Fugu? Divers watches, but very different from just about everything else out there. It's a citizen-dive language being expressed for sure.
    Name:  citizen-fugu-6watches.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  208.6 KB

If these are different enough, then there's lots of watches out there--you just have to look. Besides the Mako, there are the variations of the Bambino, the Sun & Moon, the Defender, the SK and three-star lines, all pretty close to your budget. (Some may be a bit more, particularly if you have to pay VAT, but cut me a little slack here).
    Name:  AK00005D-2T.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  41.5 KBName:  AC00009W-2T.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  35.7 KBName:  ET0N002B-2T.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  41.4 KBName:  RA-AA0B02R19A-2T.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  38.8 KB

As others mentioned, there's Vostok. No one would think a Vostok was a homage to anything but maybe an older Vostok (because some of the designs haven't changed that much since the 80s!)

If you like single-handed watches, there's Slow watches (again, a touch above your price range new, but probably close used)
    https://www.slow-watches.com/the-sto.../slow-jo-38mm/
    Name:  slow-Jo-29-One-hand-watch-black-octagon-case-beige-leather-Swiss-Made-1-400x400.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  6.8 KB

... Or the Russian option, the Luch.
    https://www.amazon.com/LUCH-Mechanic...s%2C183&sr=8-2
    Name:  818Ex4eSg7L._AC_UL320_ML3_.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  12.8 KB
    (They even have newer designs: https://www.amazon.com/Wrist-%D0%A1o...%2C183&sr=8-11)
    Name:  911RRaoCZZL._AC_UL320_ML3_.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  11.2 KB

Mr. Jones watches are all interesting. He is always looking for ways to play with displaying the time. I mean:
    Name:  Last-Laugh-menu_940x1200.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  110.0 KB

Name:  King_-menu_600x.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  64.6 KB
    Name:  watchful-menu_0004_Duff-the-gruff_600x.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  50.8 KB

https://us.mrjoneswatches.com/collec...nt:-mechanical
    Many will be a little above your price range again, but not by far. Sometimes, there are sales. And you can certainly find MJW's used at 200 eur or below.
    ... And of course there's seiko. There are so many Seiko 5s and Seiko 5 Sports watches available at or below your price range with tons of dial designs. The Recraft series has interesting dials and even faceted crystals.
    And I hate to say it, but if you like bigger, bolder watches, there are a lot of options out there. Aragon, Deep Blue, and yes, Invicta have lots of designs that you're not going to find anywhere else. (Aragon has a sale right now on their new Divemaster line -- less than $200 USD!) Maybe that's not the kind of design you had in mind, or maybe you can't wear watches that big, but oh boy are those out there.

Of course, it all comes down to price. Designing watches takes time, and time is money. Unique designs are probably not going to be as popular as a standard dive watch, or a Timex Easy Reader, or a sterile flieger. If they're sold cheaply, either (a) the materials have to be super-super cheap (kind of what MJW does), or (b) the designer has to hope that these oddball designs sell huge volumes to make enough profit to recoup design costs (almost impossible unless you're Seiko or have the finances to sell the same model for decades), or (c) you don't pay your designers. I think that was the point of Docvail's "best design for the money" thread: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/be...y-5070641.html

So while I disagree with you that there aren't any watches in your price range that are interesting, I'll agree that most of the groundbreaking, barrier-pushing designs are just going to cost more than 200 GBP.
    Synequano, OvrSteer, Zzyzx and 1 others like this.

- Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Current collection:
    Oris Big Crown Pointer Date (in red!) | Oris Artix Date | Glycine Airman DC-4 GMT | Christopher Ward C60 600 White Trident | Poljot Journey Chronograph | Bernhardt Corsair GMT | Nth Naken Renegade | Hamilton Jazzmaster Square | Citizen Grand Classic | Kronaby Apex | Seiko Save-the-Ocean Samurai | Prometheus Jellyfish Yellow | Spinnaker Bradner | Heimdallr Bronze Turtle (6309 Homage) | Seiko SSC509 Solar World Time Quartz Chronograph | Undone Modern Chrono | Bulova UHF Military 96B229 | Raketa "Big Zero" |

Quote Originally Posted by Perdendosi View Post
    Mr. Jones watches are all interesting. He is always looking for ways to play with displaying the time.
    This one is so cool.

Name:  tiger-watch-flat-colour_940x1072.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  224.5 KB
    Zzyzx, watchcrank and Synequano like this.

Round watches are so last century (kidding). I get it though. I go through phases where all watches look basically the same. How about these?

Hamilton Boulton small seconds quartz

Bulova Classic Ambassador

Seiko recraft

Timex Welton

Synequano likes this.

How mad do you want to go?
    Name:  20190720_094718_031-1.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  372.3 KB

Name:  20191006_213246_015.jpg
Views: 65