Hamilton Khaki Field Titanium: Can you suggest something better... or worse?
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Hamilton Khaki Field Titanium: Can you suggest something better... or worse?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hamilton Khaki Field Titanium: Can you suggest something better... or worse?

Name:  1288252015_large_Khaki_Field_FieldTitanium_H70575733.jpg
Views: 11123
Size:  80.5 KB

So I really like a several things about the Hamilton Khaki Field Titanium (in PVD) and dislike some others, but @ $995 retail it sits at an uncomfortable place for me. I'd almost rather spend more for a higher quality watch, or actually, less for a lower quality watch.

I like the military style, the pvd, the black, white and slight green colors overall. I like the texture and material of the strap. I like the ETA movement, and exhibition caseback. I like the overall layout of the dial, with the 24 hour, hour and seconds markings, in that order and those sizes.

I don't like the displaced 15, and the obscured 3. I don't like the white date wheel. I wish the lume was better. I don't think it has hacking and winding(?). I'm worried about scratches on the PVD. I wish it didn't have 'TITANIUM' etched on the side of the case. And it's a bit big for my tastes at 42mm, as this all started when I was searching for a small, slim, simple military style watch--primarily looking at handwound movements.

Any suggestions?
    (It's also possible this really is what I want...)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by fuzzysquid; December 31st, 2013 at 07:25.

Re: Hamilton Khaki Field Titanium: Can you suggest something better... or worse?

I don't think you want it. Especially at that price.

Re: Hamilton Khaki Field Titanium: Can you suggest something better... or worse?

I could be wrong, but I think the slight green you are seeing in the markers and hands is a photographic effect of the lume. Unfortunately, Hamilton - whilst making excellent watches for the price - tends not to have great lume, so this isn't much of a selling point.

Also, PVD tends to be a one-trick pony, and it's often a pony one can live without.

I'd offer these two alternatives:

No PVD, but I strongly suspect that the 38mm handwind Hamilton Khaki field will be of similar or lighter weight than the titanium automatic, and it's cheap, cheap, cheap (sub $300 normally, and sub $250 on occasional sales):

Name:  khaki_20131223.jpg
Views: 7316
Size:  154.9 KB

Or there is this 40mm Seiko SNZG17 which is PVD, and which also comes on a PVD bracelet (not shown) if you're into such things, for less than $175

Name:  snzg17_cb_marina_20131209a.jpg
Views: 7425
Size:  129.7 KB

Unfortunately, I have no photos of its lume, but it's a Seiko, so it's very, very bright, and long-lasting also.
    Last edited by watchcrank; December 31st, 2013 at 08:19. Reason: it's/its: all my life, yet still a struggle.
    Perdendosi, SudoHalt and Slm643 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

KF Auto 38mm SS case. Date window in the proper place. No PVD to gouge. Shorter lug-to-lug.
    Or maybe a 42mm if you have big burly-man wrists (about 52mm lug-to-lug).
    $995 is high retail. Under $700 is easy to find.
    2013: Android AD576BK Divemaster Espionage 2 | Vostok Amphibian 710059 | Vostok Amphibian 710634 | Vostok Amphibian 710526 | Momentum Base Layer (sapphire)
    2014: Maranez Layan | Vostok Amphibian 09013M | Casio MDV106-1A

2015: Vostok Amphibian 100657 | Vostok Amphibian 420914

LH2

I owned a stainless 42mm Field Khaki. That model is a solid value.

But on this one, the white date wheel, chopped off 3 and ridiculous 13-24 on the dial kill it for me. Not to mention it is a bit pricey for what it is. I think the sub-second markers and the 10-15-20-25... along the outer dial edge make the dial a bit busy, and the minute hand is a little short. If you're set on this one, wait for a used one, they depreciate big time.

I'd suggest a Glycine Combat 6 or Combat 7 for a simple field watch type of dial. Lots of dial colors / styles from which to choose. Grey market Glycine prices are great, otherwise they turn up on the sales forum quite a bit too.

For an AD, I'd recommend AZ Fine Time, a forum sponsor.
    Archimede | Damasko | Defakto | Fortis | Glycine | Hamilton | Junghans | Laco | Limes | Oris | Sinn | Stowa | Tutima

Do you want titanium and PVD since usually both make a watch more expensive.

I'd vote for the 38mm Hammy version. Price, size, features you're looking for.
    P.S. the Field Titanium has an ETA 2824-2, which hacks and handwinds. I'm fairly sure that all of the khakis that are autos all hack and handwind. The others have the 2804 handwind movement.

Another option is Marathon. They have a $170 general watch with an auto movement, in a 34mm (SMALL!) plastic case, but with tritium tubes (so you get perma-lume, at least for a decade) for less than $200. Or you can pay the price you were looking at for the Hammy above and get a GSAR.
    Marathon Watch, Wrist (Army Field Watch): General Purpose, Mechanical, Type II, Class 4 GPM WW194003 (Tritium H3) | TopSpecUS.com

Marathon Watches: Military Grade Tactical and Classic Timepieces
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f7/opin...ch-878573.html

...Or Bombfrog. Metal case, 8215 movement (meh), $400. More diver, less field, but good quality.

Welcome to Bradystraps.com
    Last edited by Perdendosi; December 31st, 2013 at 16:29.

- Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Current collection:
    Oris Big Crown Pointer Date (in red!) | Oris Artix Date | Glycine Airman DC-4 GMT | Christopher Ward C60 600 White Trident | Poljot Journey Chronograph | Bernhardt Corsair GMT | Nth Naken Renegade | Hamilton Jazzmaster Square | Citizen Grand Classic | Kronaby Apex | Seiko Save-the-Ocean Samurai | Prometheus Jellyfish Yellow | Spinnaker Bradner | Heimdallr Bronze Turtle (6309 Homage) | Seiko SSC509 Solar World Time Quartz Chronograph | Undone Modern Chrono | Bulova UHF Military 96B229 | Raketa "Big Zero" |

Thanks for all the suggestions so far! The Glycine combat 6 (particularly the manual version) could be it, but it seems to be discontinued and I'm not seeing it in stock anywhere? I'll try calling a few places. The 38mm khaki mechanical was something I was considering too, and it might work. I think the Seiko and the Marathon both go too far afield from what attracted me to the khaki titanium in the first place... specifically the large hour markers. But I need to look into those further.

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    Do you want titanium and PVD since usually both make a watch more expensive.
    Titanium isn't super important, and PVD, well, it's more about the overall look of the watch. I was attracted to the all black with white and subtle green highlights of the khaki titanium, and the modern but pretty restrained and delicate dial layout (which I think the Seiko and the Marathon lacks, in part because of the thick hour marks).

Hey there,

I realize I'm kind of resurrecting this thread and that you've probably already made your decision, but for anyone else that comes along and is interested in the Khaki Field Titanium--

I just got this watch, pre-owned, and I absolutely love it. I will speak to some of the things in relation to the age/patina of the watch, and some other things that I don't see mentioned in reviews.

This watch has been more well-known since that Shadow Recruit movie, but I believe Hamilton has made this watch since 2010/2011 and has always been a popular piece. So just be aware that some of the used models of this watch have actually been out in the wild for a few years now. I believe mine to be at least a year old.

Since you mentioned it in your op: the ETA 2824-2 does in fact hack and hand wind.

On my watch, since YMMV:

The PVD has come off in a number of places, mainly right around the crystal, or at the very tip edge of the bezel, if that makes sense. I'm thinking maybe the previous owner banged it around a lot at work, because I don't think the tops my watches ever come into contact with things that frequently. This doesn't bother me personally, as I think it lends a "worn in" look to a watch that is supposed to be a field watch. But just so you know, it can come off here :)

Given the PVD scratching around the bezel, the PVD on the main case is almost perfect. It seems to be a pretty thick coating, and is perfectly even and color-perfect.

The white stitching in the band has yellowed.

The "ring" around the crystal where it meets the bezel has yellowed. I don't know if this is a glue/adhesive patina, or simply a reflection of the scratched bezel, or perhaps just microscopic dirt and grime on the crystal edge? Either way, age and sun turns certain things yellowish, and the very outside of the crystal now appears yellowish. If you look at photos of the watch when brand new, it will appear to have a white ring around the dial.

The ticking is very loud. I love the sound of a high BPM movement, and I don't know if it's the titanium or what (and I'm not ruling out a defect in my particular watch) but it doesn't seem to dampen the sound very well. If you are staring at the face of the watch in a quiet room or in your car, you can hear the ticking, and if you point the crown toward toward you you can hear it especially well. If you take it off at night and leave it on a nightstand, you will likely hear it.

The watch is exceptionally light. This is where the benefits of titanium really shine, as the watch barely weighs anything. I had a 42mm Khaki Auto in steel, and that thing was a noticeable presence on my wrist. This watch FEELS lighter than my Timex Weekender. I'm not saying it IS lighter, but it feels that way.

I snagged it at a great price and I'm glad I did. It's a great piece with a great movement, and given that my watch is probably a couple years old, I can say that the build quality is excellent.

If you've waited a couple months now and haven't made a decision, I would highly recommend this watch. To anyone else coming along and wanted some extra info on the longevity of this piece, I hope I helped a bit :)

Edit: I had a chance to take a couple pics in different lighting so you can see some of the patina.

Name:  27pK7Q2l.jpg
Views: 6078
Size:  105.5 KB
    Name:  eSRWHrHl.jpg
Views: 5989
Size:  32.9 KB

Couple more photos here.
    Last edited by wrist.time; April 12th, 2014 at 02:53. Reason: Add photos.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information