Help me choose a Speedmasterish watch
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Help me choose a Speedmasterish watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help me choose a Speedmasterish watch

Hi! I decided to unlurk to ask for opinions. I'm after a Speedmaster-styled watch, sub-€200 and no larger than 42mm because I have weedy 6.25" wrists. I went through the recent "Speedmaster homage" threads and I've whittled down the list of candidates to these two:

Casio EF-500D-1AV
    Seiko SND309

Which one of these two would you recommend and why? This will only be my third watch—I don't really know much about these things. The Casio might be a little nicer looking but I haven't found many photos of the Seiko in the wild, and the Seiko has the cool 1/20 sec dial but I heard that eats up the battery real fast, and that's about all I'm able to judge about them.

(FWIW of the other options that are currently in production, the otherwise nice-looking Timex and Fossil Decker are probably too chunky for me at 42x13.5mm, Gigantowhatsit Volante seems like a mystery brand knockoff and I'd rather have a dependable watch than a sketchy clone, the Pulsar homage is 45mm and no one will ship them here anyway, Swatch Windfall has that proprietary strap thing I don't want any truck with...)

Re: Help me choose a Speedmasterish watch

You need pics in these threads!
    While I have two Casios and two Seikos, they're completely different types of watches (those that I own). I can say the two Seikos I have are just awesome watches - finish, function, etc. Top notch. In this case, I think you should go with Seiko, but sub $200, you still have quite a bit of room (I am using Amazon in USD so both of these are under $100). Solar would be a better option here imo. Still all the same functionality, but it'll last longer without having to change a battery. I have a Seiko SSC - the solar and it's great. So for this, I'll of course suggest something else :)

From the options above, you're looking for something like the SSC009. There are lots of other variations in colors and markers of this watch as well. I have a 142 - two tone - that is really nicely done. These are on that same level:

Check out the SSC297, too. That's really cool:

All that said, you're on the right track with the Edifice as well - those are great watches. I think some are solar, but maybe not in this same style - they get a little busy.
    "Don't let the fear of the time it will take to accomplish something stand in the way of your doing it. The time will pass anyway; we might just as well put that passing time to the best possible use." - Earl Nightingale.

Personally, one of my favorites is the Seiko SBPP001. There is one for sale for 275? in the sales forum as of last night.

It is a great size for you. It's thin, it looks great on the bracelet. The bracelet is kind of light, but its comfy. I really enjoy the bracelet a lot. It's a high quality watch all around. It has a nice domed crystal

The only down falls are that the hands are shiny and not white and it's a little dressy. The domed crystal is quite reflective.

Here's a pic of my SBPP003 (white version).

And a pic of my old SBPP001

So that's my top suggestion.

Next, would be the Casio EF503. Again, it's a great size for you. It's suppose to be great for the price, which is quite affordable. No pics ready for you though.
    Last edited by goody2141; August 12th, 2015 at 19:54.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sorry, here are two random pics of the two watches I'm thinking of. I'm specifically after an all-black-face model.

Quote Originally Posted by wadefish View Post
    snd309

I have an ef503 and it is a great little watch. There is a blue dialed variant but it is tough to find. There are a couple of good speedy homage threads around here. There is a technos homage that looks great but you have to get it from Rakuten I think.

Swatch stores have several chrono's that look Speedy

Sent from my thingamajig using 100% recycled electrons.

I like the seiko....but
    If you wanted a 3rd option the casio EF-503 is a similiar option. I have the white dialed one and really enjoy it. They have a black variation as well.
    Name:  150811.a.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  140.8 KB
    Last edited by Peternincompoop1; August 12th, 2015 at 21:33.
    Casio EF-503D-7A, Hamilton Khaki Aviation Auto (H76565125), Steinhart OVM 2.0, Seiko PADI Turtle (SRPA21), Bernhardt Binnacle Diver (white dial)

"Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff" ...George Carlin

In the affordables section there is a bund homage watch project that looks great and is in your budget pm chicolabronze he will give you all the links etc

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Where can you find a Seiko SBPP001 these days?
    I'd love to run one down.

Edit: Looks like one would need to watch the bay or WRecon.
    Last edited by CMA22inc; August 13th, 2015 at 19:50.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by andrewlogan1987 View Post
    In the affordables section there is a bund homage watch project that looks great and is in your budget pm chicolabronze he will give you all the links etc
    Other than being a black-dialed chronograph, the F71 Bund is not Speedmasterish in the slightest.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information