Help me narrow it down (or suggestions?) 40mm white/silver faced dressy watch
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By chriscentro

Thread: Help me narrow it down (or suggestions?) 40mm white/silver faced dressy watch

Help me narrow it down (or suggestions?) 40mm white/silver faced dressy watch

Hey guys, I've been looking for a watch that's:
    -White/silver faced. I'd be open to other colors but they might make it hard to match, eg the green of the Seiko Alpinist which I otherwise really like. I'm planning on wearing it with a brown alligator band.
    - 40mm or less.
    - Dressy - looks good with a suit without looking out of place with a slightly dressy casual outfit (think untucked dress shirt, dark denim, etc).
    - 38-40mm. any larger than 40mm usually overhangs my wrist unless the lugs are tiny.
    - Eyecatching. I have a minimalistic dress watch already, I'm looking for something that stands out a bit.
    - <$500.
    Pluses:
    - Automatic.
    - Comes with a brown leather alligator band. Not a big deal to get an aftermarket one of course, but it's one less thing to buy if it's included.
    - Sapphire.

Here are the choices I think I've narrowed it down to:

Seiko SARB 065 "Cocktail Time"
    Name:  628980d1329494655-seiko-sarb071-vs-sarb065-help-me-decide-441790sde5465border.jpg
Views: 1203
Size:  541.2 KB
    Picture credit to Khadgar of this forum.

Pros: Eye catching yet still very classy. Automatic. I'm definitely leaning toward this one.
    Cons: At the upper end of my budget plus I'd have to buy a brown band too. I'm worried about scratching the crystal since it's not sapphire and it's raised too.

Christopher Ward C3 Mk1
    Name:  7085348293_ddc6272ddf_b.jpg
Views: 953
Size:  336.5 KB

Pros: I love the dial and the subdials. Makes it look cool without being overcluttered. Have heard nothing but good reviews on CW quality.
    Cons: They don't make the Mk1 any more and the Mk2 doesn't have the sunken dial - it looks a lot less interesting. I haven't seen a single Mk1 for sale yet =/ plus I feel like $300 is a bit pricey for a quartz.

Orient Star WZ0081EL
    Name:  wz0081el5001.jpg
Views: 1104
Size:  68.4 KB

Pros: Comes with a bracelet, which is always nice to have as an option even though I'd probably wear it on brown leather most of the time. Auto, sapphire. Basically, the works.
    Cons: Haven't seen it in person but from the pictures it looks a little pedestrian compared to other watches I was looking at.

Runner ups:
    Tissot Visodate and Hamilton Jazzmaster. I love the looks/features/values of both of these watches. However, my other watch (Hamilton Day Date) looks very much like a Visodate already, and I don't really want to buy two Hamiltons in a row.
    Last edited by xD skyline; May 31st, 2013 at 09:28.

Re: Help me narrow it down (or suggestions?) 40mm white/silver faced dressy watch

All great choices.

Have you seen the Seiko SARB035? I am really liking one of these on leather.

Name:  images.jpeg
Views: 515
Size:  10.0 KBName:  images-1.jpeg
Views: 520
Size:  4.6 KB

Re: Help me narrow it down (or suggestions?) 40mm white/silver faced dressy watch

Orient or the Seiko. You can wear them with all outfits and look good

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Im quite fond of the Sea-Gull 816.351 and WuYi, I think they tick all your boxes.

Name:  Seagull816Wr2.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  88.7 KB

Name:  wuyiwr20.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  111.6 KB
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

"Watches tie people to the celestial clockwork... but people have been encouraged by their clocks to ignore the daily and seasonal cycles and to pretend that there is nothing to contend with but metronome-paced linear time. We appear to have caged the sun inside a machine." Michael Young, The Metronomic Society, p. 204

Out of your three, I'd go with the cocktail time. Very nice looking watch and you can't go wrong with a Seiko

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    It's time for you to buy a watch

I'm a big fan of CW watches, but I'd have to vote for the Cocktail Time. That is just one beautiful watch. Now I want one too.
    The Time Bum - Watch reviews, photos, and assorted horological musings.
    Also on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook

That Seiko is just stunning.
    I'm with everyone else, that is one classy looking watch.

One of our members posted his watch in the Orient section. I really like it a lot!
    docvail, Audy and Mil6161 like this.

thanks for all the input and great suggestions! just pulled the trigger on the cocktail time.

Thread Information