How do orient tristars compare to seiko 5s in terms in accuracy, durability, and overall build quali
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By gav1230
  • 2 Post By sebastienb
  • 1 Post By sticky
  • 1 Post By Negakinu

Thread: How do orient tristars compare to seiko 5s in terms in accuracy, durability, and overall build quali

How do orient tristars compare to seiko 5s in terms in accuracy, durability, and overall build quali

My seiko 5 has been commandeered by my significant other, and looking for a replacement I’ve found orient tristars to be right up my ally. I’d be using it as a “dressy” beater for when I want something a little fancier than my g shock that will still be a workhorse.

Re: How do orient tristars compare to seiko 5s in terms in accuracy, durability, and overall build q

Got one, love it ! The champagne dial is exquisite, vintage look and very reliable.
    rkbry and ObiWonWD40 like this.

Re: How do orient tristars compare to seiko 5s in terms in accuracy, durability, and overall build q

I don’t think there’s a massive amount between them so go for it.
    ObiWonWD40 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

They look great on a nato! :)

(not my pic)

Name:  nylon1.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  194.4 KB
    ObiWonWD40 likes this.
    Never spend more than $100 on a Mushroom!

Comparable to older Seiko 5, folded link bracelets, gotta like the look. Orient still makes new ones, limited production runs mostly for Southeast Asian markets. Orient EM70002D:

EM70002W has a white dial; EM70002B has a black dial, and that's the one you're most likely to find. They have faceted crystals which you can't see in my photographs.

If you're interested in faceted crystals, here's a thread:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/wa...a-1081323.html

If you're interested in the EM70002 series tristars, lug width is 22 mm and you'll probably replace the bracelet. Not a lot of room under the lug hoods: try shark mesh or a leather 2-piece strap no thicker than 3 mm. I don't think a NATO would work but I didn't try.

Same fit and finish. Personally Orient's movements run more consistently out of the box than the Seiko 7s...again IMHO.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lots of Tri-Star Orients on the 'bay. Most look very traditional, others have some wild colors. The most common movement is the 469xxx, no hand-wind or hack like the 7Sxx Seiko movement. Quick 'bay check under 'orient 3 star' finds 400+ listings, most well under $100. For that $$ you can build a nice collection for any occasion.

LOL my Sig.Oth. stole mine as well...she wore it daily until I gave her a ring that didn't match the aesthetic. Good size for ladies and guys with narrow wrists like me.

I have both a Tristar and a classic Seiko 5 field watch. My observations:

Tristar is heavier, thinner, and feels more high-quality than the Seiko.

Seiko has a display caseback for some reason. Not sure why...not a decorated movement at all. Orient has a solid caseback that contributes to its weight and overall solid-ness.

Orient came with the cheapest metal bracelet I've ever seen. Never wore it, removed it the second I received it. I was actually going through my straps today and found it--I wondered why I had even kept it in the first place! Get a good 19mm strap for this watch and don't let the bracelet spoil your experience.

The strap on the Seiko sucked as well. I always wore it on NATOs, and my soon-to-be wife wore it on a nice black leather strap. On the bright side, because the straps are terrible on these watches, it allows you to inject some personality into the situation right off the bat!

Both crowns are a PITA

You can get funkier with a Tristar.

Bottom line is I don't know which one's better. If you're asking you're probably going to end up with both at some point like me. I had more good times with the Seiko, but I did get the Orient when I already had more watches and more money. Seiko was a poverty buy and I truly enjoyed it during that time. Name:  IMAG0658.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  2.81 MB

LOL my Sig.Oth. stole mine as well...she wore it daily until I gave her a ring that didn't match the aesthetic. Good size for ladies and guys with narrow wrists like me.

I have both a Tristar and a classic Seiko 5 field watch. My observations:

Tristar is heavier, thinner, and feels more high-quality than the Seiko.

Seiko has a display caseback for some reason. Not sure why...not a decorated movement at all. Orient has a solid caseback that contributes to its weight and overall solid-ness.

Orient came with the cheapest metal bracelet I've ever seen. Never wore it, removed it the second I received it. I was actually going through my straps today and found it--I wondered why I had even kept it in the first place! Get a good 19mm strap for this watch and don't let the bracelet spoil your experience.

The strap on the Seiko sucked as well. I always wore it on NATOs, and my soon-to-be wife wore it on a nice black leather strap. On the bright side, because the straps are terrible on these watches, it allows you to inject some personality into the situation right off the bat!

Both crowns are a PITA

You can get funkier with a Tristar.

Bottom line is I don't know which one's better. If you're asking you're probably going to end up with both at some point like me. I had more good times with the Seiko, but I did get the Orient when I already had more watches and more money. Seiko was a poverty buy and I truly enjoyed it during that time. Name:  IMAG0658.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  2.81 MB

Thread Information