How do YOU clean your watch ???

Thread: How do YOU clean your watch ???

How do YOU clean your watch ???

I went to take some shots of my Tissot the other night and when I got them on the computer I noticed just how grotty the watch was! It has been my daily wearer for years, I worked in retail for a while and wore it while moving great loads of stock and cleaning and so on, sweaty work mostly....wore it mowing the grass, working on cars and so on so I should have realised that a quick wipe over with a damp cloth just wasn't going to cut it. So I broke out the wifes jewellery cleaner and soaked it for 5 minutes then with the small "bonus" cleaning brush I got into all the tuff spots...in the end I think it came up well, could do with a polish to remove the swirls in the bezel I guess but for it's age and use I am pretty happy.

My question is..... HOW DO YOU CLEAN YOUR WATCH ??

Any tips for the "newbys" or for that matter those with many years of collecting under their belts?

Tips for cleaning/polishing
    • Braclets
    • leather bands
    • glass/crystal etc
    Here are some pics of my finished project, (wish I'd got some usable before shots...)

Re: How do YOU clean your watch ???

Why the heck are you asking us?
    We ought take notes from YOU
    Well done on that, looks new.
    Myself I scrupulously try to maintain a VERY sedentary lifestyle and my watches rarely get grungy but I'm looking forward to further replies here.
    Really I'd like a definitive answer on whether an ultrasonic jewelry cleaner is safe.
    My wife has one and they work great for rings n such.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

Great job indeed. That watch looks brand new.
    I've used toothpaste and toothbrush in the past. I just recently picked up an ultrasonic cleaner and cleaned up a watch movement in it. I might be afraid of the crystal on a watch case being dislodged however.

The bracelet can be easily cleaned in an ultrasonic cleaner.
    Leather bands can be cleaned using automotive leather cleaner and then you can put automotive leather restorer afterwards.
    The crystal comes out looking awesome with Endust (heck, you can use endust on almost anything). Endust should not damage AR coating either as it it designed for cleaning electronics and plastics like LCD monitors.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have some liquid jewelery cleaner in a spray bottle. For a quick clean on stainless, I spray the entire watch, use a old soft toothbrush on it then rinse with cold water and dry it with a microfiber cloth. for a watch that has swirls and light scratches, a rouge cloth 1st for the swirls, then back to the spray procedure again.

Nice shots! When I clean a watch, which is really rare, I just use water out of the tap and a cloth. When I was diving several times a week, I just took showers with the watch I used that day and made sure the sand and gunk was out of it. The most I've ever done was use some hand soap under the lugs where they get grungy before selling a watch. Guess I don't get as mingin' as I used to.
    Wear what you like.

I tend to use eyeglass cleaner, applied to a cotton diaper (hopefully a clean diaper!) cloth.
    Later, Gary

We are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors

I have one of the Deluxe Scuff & Scratch Removal Kits from Watchbandrenew. Works great if you follow directions and then use the rouge cloth to finish up.
    Jeff

Soapy water and a toothbrush. Nothing flashy but it works!

Tom

Wink Re: How do YOU clean your watch ???

I clean mine in the shower. Soap it up real good and dry it with my dirty shirt. Done it for 20+ years never killed one yet, though I'm not suggesting it. I just like doing it. I don't think I will be doing with the vintage I just bought, though. That wouldn't be prudent.

I use Aqua Regia followed by a warm lye solution. If the watch survives it passes two tests: it is clean and it is a keeper! lol

paul
    Doxa 600T Clive Cussler edition
    Breitling Superocean A17345
    Omega 2531.80
    RGM Sea3 Custom
    Ocean 7 LM3 #119

VINTAGE :

Zodiac Astrographic 2000
    Zodiac Sea Wolf(1964)
    LeCoultre Master Mariner (1970)
    Hamilton Thinmatic (1968)

Place of honor:

my '80's Seiko 5 which has been through the mill and still runs and tell adequate time.