How do you decide to add, subtract, or exchange?
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: How do you decide to add, subtract, or exchange?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How do you decide to add, subtract, or exchange?

So for those of us that limit ourselves to the number of watches we have or the frequency in which we purchase, how do you decide what stays in your collection? When we've set these restrictions on ourselves often the easiest and quickest way to a new watch is to sell or trade one we already have. When you start getting that itch for something new how do you decide what to remove from your collection?

Is it sentimental value or lack there of? How often the watch is worn?

Have you ever regretted getting rid of a watch from your collection after the fact?

For myself currently I'm in this predicament. For the past 10 years I'd been in a profession that was only good for wearing beaters and typically digital watches. I've now switched to a more professional environment to where I can wear nicer watches daily so my interest has greatly peaked again in what I wear daily. I've got an SKX007 that I do very much like but it would be the only one I would consider selling off. I almost think simply changing the face and bezel would be the smart and cheap thing to do. Then I've got a new watch but not new. We'll have to see what desire wins out I suppose.

What say you?

Re: How do you decide to add, subtract, or exchange?

I'd say that changing out the face, bezel and even bracelet are good ways of freshening up your watch. Remember, for some items, the sentimental value comes out of wearing it for a while. If you want to keep changing things up and getting a new watch often, then sentimental value might not be as important as having something fresh on your wrist. I think you should try modifying the watch at least once before getting rid of it. Not only are 007s a near perfect modding platform, modding would be more cost effective than buying a whole new watch.
    Current Collection:
    Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY1112
    Parnis Batman GMT
    Seiko 5 SNKA01K1
    Timex Expedition Scout
    Casio F-91WM-9ADF
    G-Shock GA100MB

I sin

I purge

I repeat...
    Perdendosi likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

In an effort to keep peace in my home, I've decided to abide by the "one in, one out" rule.

Not only does this help offset the cost of a new watch, it helps ensure that my purchases are much more intentional since something must be sacrificed to usher in the new one.

I've found that I can tell almost right away which watch will be a keeper and which won't be. For example, I knew as soon as I put it on that my SARB035 was here to stay. Likewise, when I put on my recently purchased SARY057, I knew that while I liked it, I didn't "love" it and that it would eventually help usher in a new watch in the near future.

This also why I always look for the best price possible, in the best condition possible, and as close to full kit as possible. It helps minimize any potential losses when selling to fund another watch.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    E90 Skye, jkpa and Bosman like this.

I like the one in one out rule. I actually got rid of 3 that completely fell out of rotation and just threw it in a slush fund for future purchases.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    dwczinmb and Bosman like this.

When my collection starts to get too big, I look for overlaps in function and/or style and trim that way.

Sentimental value also plays a part. Some of my watches were to celebrate an event or were gifts, and those stay forever.
    Perdendosi likes this.

I think I'd have to agree with you on making some changes to the 007. Just have to figure out what. With as many ways as it can be modded I feel like I'd be a little off to get rid of it.

I've got a new band coming in for my Black Monster. We'll see how that does for me.

I couldn't agree more about about the sentimental value. I only have a few like that but they won't be going anywhere ever.

I somehow don’t think this is the thread for me as I’m all buy, buy, buy and no sell, sell, sell.
    Ten-Ten likes this.

If I'm not wearing it relatively regularly, out it goes.
    Bosman likes this.

Sometimes I tell myself "I'll keep this forever", then end up selling it down the road. Sometimes I get into a "I'm only buying this brand from now on" phase then change my mind again and switch to something else. My needs/tastes evolve. I've stopped trying to explain it and just enjoy the journey.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information