How much will you fight though a non-perfect watch size? - Page 5
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: How much will you fight though a non-perfect watch size?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: How much will you fight though a non-perfect watch size?

I’ve got large wrists—and I detest oversized watches—so I never have any issues with buying a watch and having it be *physically* too big, though I’ve certainly owned watches where the relative dial size was aesthetically too large even if the case was not.

My problem is with watches that are too small. I’m cursed with a passion for vintage watches but I simply can’t wear most of them. Some can be made to look bigger by putting them on, say, a leather NATO/Zulu, but that doesn’t help much with dress watches.

I will tolerate it somewhat if I REALLY like the watch—like my Benrus bumper or my ‘53 Longines, both 34mm—but I’ve still got quite a few that I’ve been threatening to sell for some time now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NightOwl View Post
    I can see the specs and know is something will work or not. However, before I realized what I like I tried out watches that were too big. If I feel like
    I have to give a watch a chance then I sell it. The watches that stay are the ones that slip on the wrist without a second thought.

Usually 48mm lug to lug is my max. I don’t do a mm above it.

I'm now at the point like NightOwl said, where I can pretty much tell by the specs if I'll feel comfortable with a watch, and my comfort/preference zone is fairly narrow. I've tried in the past to force the range one way or another when I like the look of a watch, but in the end, it's how the watch looks on me that matters. I won't spend much time fighting through a size issue. What looks great in a picture, doesn't look great on me if its too big or too small. I've quickly sold a bunch of watches after realizing that I could not overlook the size issues. The Helm Komodo in white ( a great looking watch) just didn't work for me at 40mm and about 15.5mm thick. I still "like" pictures of it all the time, but I sold mine after a week or two because of the size.

Now, I rarely make a size mistake. (I make plenty of other types of mistakes.) For example, I agonized over (publicly here on the forum) whether to buy a Magrette Moana Pacific in 44 or 42 size. The 44 would fit, but the lug size was about 53mm, a fraction beyond my comfort zone. Plus, it's a fairly thick watch. Went with the 42 instead and could not be happier.

Name:  MP530.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  214.7 KB

Case size and lug-to-lug size really matter, as does the thickness of a watch, and I now know what looks/feels most comfortable on me. 40mm is the smallest I go on my 7-3/8ths wrist, and even that might be too small for a dive watch, like the Komodo, for example. But about 44 and 52 lug-to-lug is my max. That's a pretty tight window, but fortunately, an enormous number of watches fall right in that wheelhouse.

Regarding other people and their size preferences, I would generally say that I don't like a large watch on a guy with small wrists - especially when the lugs are hanging over the edge of his wrists. That's a general rule ... but then I've met guys with big personalities and watches to match, and it works for them.

Quote Originally Posted by tss88 View Post
    Definitely … usually you can tell within a few minutes if you’re going to be happy with a watch.
    I only wear divers over 40mm except for this Cerberus … always wanted to try a Sumo but 44mm is way over the realistic for me.

You never know though ... I have never put one on !!!

Attachment 14189203
    Why does that dog have WiFi?

/s
    "Oh, nice. So now we're quoting other people to sound deep." -alx007

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Having small wrists, I almost have to fight through a slightly oversized watch. But in the end, it depends on how comfortable it is for me.

Quote Originally Posted by valuewatchguy View Post
    Paper dimensions are meaningless to me in general. But comfort is a huge factor. If its just the look of a big watch on your wrist that bothers you I would be willing to fight a little longer to see if you get over i. If its comfort that bothers you then don't fight, just sell it.
    A lot of this.

If something isn't comfortable, don't fight it. Just move it along.

If it's appearances, it depends on how close it is. If your usual range is up to 44mm, maybe a 45 isn't that much of a stretch, but unless you've got a huge wrist, a 47 is probably not going to look right.

I think many WIS suffer from a localized version of body dysmorphia, whereby we can't be objective in assessing our own wrist size, and what looks right. The mobile device wrist shot with fish-eye lens doesn't help. It only exacerbates the problem.

I used to think my wrist was fairly flat, and it still looks that way to me, when I'm NOT wearing a watch. But when I put a watch on, my wrist miraculously becomes very round, and I become acutely aware of lug length.

My watches always tend to drift to the outside of my wrist, and I'm constantly shaking my arm to get the watch back to center. Sometimes I'll wear one on the inside of the wrist. Once the initial feeling of that being weird passes, I notice it's actually comfortable, and the head stays where I want it to be.

This is a weird hobby.

Tapatalk is all natural. Wash in cold water and tumble dry on low heat. Some talk shrinking may occur.
    huwp likes this.
    This used to be my signature, but now it's just this generic drawing of a watch.

I'm not on social media 24/7. It’s not a good way to reach me for support, or for me to deliver it. In order to best serve my customers, and manage my time effectively, I have turned private messaging off. The best way to reach me is using the support page of my website. Thanks for understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by docvail View Post
    My watches always tend to drift to the outside of my wrist, and I'm constantly shaking my arm to get the watch back to center.
    Yeah, this. It's a major reason I prefer at least 50, better 52mm lug-to-lug size, because then watches tend to stay better centred on my wrist while anything smaller tends to slop to the outside. I think I hate and cannot overlook slopping away from centred on the wrist the way some people hate and cannot overlook minor misalignment issues.
    docvail likes this.

I guess it also depends on the watch itself and its function. Is it large because of some purely fashion aspect (cough, Invicta) or some tool watch function like a Suunto? I have no problem with tool outdoor watches like my Suunto Vector or ProTrek PRG-600. I believe both are 51mm but I have no issues wearing both. There's a reason why they're that big: environment sensors.

Name:  casio.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  132.9 KB

Name:  suunto.JPG
Views: 19
Size:  86.4 KB

On the other hand, watches like this Invicta "Coalition" which is also 51mm I wouldn't be caught dead wearing. Well, maybe on a bet. So why is it big? Altimeter? Barometer? Nope. Just because... Invicta.

Name:  invicta.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  84.1 KB

I wear watches for my enjoyment and care little about the whole wrist size issue, and judge a watch on how it feels on my wrist and how I see if from my point of view. My eyesight at watch-range is aging so I also prefer larger higher contrast dials for easy reading. Sometimes I will make a decision on what I will wear given the event or the mode of dress or if I am at the attention of an audience and want to make a specific impression. I have rather flat 6.75" wrists and often wear my Marathon maple jumbo (46mm but L2L and height makes it wear far bigger) or a range of 42mm-46mm seikos. Tool watches I feel have a wider range of tolerance than dress watches. The one watch I love but wear selectively due to size is the Bulova Precisionist Wilton in rose gold - its a dress watch and to my mind harder to justify the size to myself - but I often overlook it because I just love that watch so much. Its also part of the nature of the 262khz movement, they are naturally large due to the technology itself.

It's such a moving target that I can't really set a rule I can live by on it, and I hate cow-towing to convention as well.
    So many watches to gather, so little time.

GoFundMe and help Ellie and the Dills

Quote Originally Posted by MarkBishop View Post
    I've been wearing and trying to bond with a watch lately that's on the absolute top of my watch size range. It's a Lum Tec Combat B model. On the bracelet, it was too heavy for me. Love it on the Nato, but it does add bulk. [/B]
    If you ever decide that your Combat B finally wears you out to the point that you would contemplate passing it along to someone else, I know of a guy of my general height, build and wrist circumference who would be very interested in taking it off your hands, for the usual and customary price of course. Just sayin’…

Ride A Bike.
    Killing Confusion By Eliminating Options

I can only handle a max 6mm difference across my watches. 40 is about as small as I feel comfortable wearing, and I own one 46mm watch. I also have flat wrists.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information