How much will you fight though a non-perfect watch size?
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: How much will you fight though a non-perfect watch size?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

How much will you fight though a non-perfect watch size?

I've been wearing and trying to bond with a watch lately that's on the absolute top of my watch size range. It's a Lum Tec Combat B model. On the bracelet, it was too heavy for me. Love it on the Nato, but it does add bulk. Lugs don't overhang wrist, but I can never quite get totally comfortable with it like I can with most of my smaller watches. 43mm case size. Measuring as good as I can, I think it's 52mm lug to lug. 6.5 inch wrist

Name:  LumTec_CombatB_NATO.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  287.2 KB

It's absolutely wearable, but it's just a tick too big for me. I keep trying to fight it, because I love nearly everything else about the watch. It's a unique set of styling a feature choices that I don't think exists in a 40mm or smaller watch. I really *want* it to be my go to wear-a-ton quartz watch, but the size not-quite-rightness of it just won't go away.

The thing that really drove this home was, for an instant size comparison, I went straight from this to my Archimede Outdoor Protect last night, just to see the difference. When this hit my wrist, I instantly felt like I had been let out of jail.

Name:  OutdoorProtect.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  188.3 KB

With my 6.5 inch wrists, I'm finding I really do prefer smaller watches. Lug to lug is the big thing I focus on, but, really in my experience, the regular watch size generally tells me what I need. If it's 40mm or smaller it almost always is more comfortable to me that anything 41mm and up. For this Archimede in particular, there's a slightly bigger 41 antimagnetic variant I want, but I'm afraid the size would irritate me as compared to this one which is absolutely perfect for me. I'm thinking of going hard core and making 40mm a hard cut off for any watch I'll even consider. Why fight it? Yeah, that cuts out a ton of great watches, but in two years in the watch hobby, this size preference is really coming into focus.

Obviously, a watch that's way too big or way too small is generally out from the get go. However, there are watches right on or just over the borderline of preferred ranges. How much will you fight through size issues for a watch that you otherwise love?
    ohhenry1, 6tffd, Ragl and 1 others like this.

Re: How much will you fight though a non-perfect watch size?

I’ll put up with a lot, a heck of a lot. I’ll make no bones about the fact that I like wearing big watches and work on the theory that if 99.9% of the folk don’t notice a watch that fits me I might as well wear those that don’t but please me no end.
    brandon\ likes this.

Since I have so many watches and since they're constantly in rotation, I don't mind wearing a 46mm watch on my 6.5" wrist. It's just for a day, mostly. After a day with a 46mm Hamilton Pilot I switch to a 36mm field or dress watch the next day. It's all good.

Name:  7c05093d36246924bb7d13db48232aac.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  65.1 KB
    brandon\, mougino and robbery like this.
    Never spend more than $100 on a Mushroom!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Not very much. 2mm too large (and it does totally vary by watch, happy with my 36mm RAM field watch and my 48mm Merkur Tuna) and I just can't get on with a watch.

Too small doesn't seem to bother me, funnily enough. I guess because there are many tacky large watches but not many tacky small ones.

I love Lum-Tec but have stuck to the 300M and 400M models for the same reasons as you (although I have slightly bigger wrists).
    Have you tried your Combat on a 2 piece strap? It might make it look/feel a mm or 2 smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by ED209 View Post
    Not very much. 2mm too large (and it does totally vary by watch, happy with my 36mm RAM field watch and my 48mm Merkur Tuna) and I just can't get on with a watch.

Too small doesn't seem to bother me, funnily enough. I guess because there are many tacky large watches but not many tacky small ones.
    Is the Merkur Tuna 48mm?? I never realized that. It wears a lot smaller than some of my 44/45/46mm watches. Must be the lack of real lugs.

Name:  merkur2.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  141.1 KB
    Never spend more than $100 on a Mushroom!

In my case when it came to the Bulova Moon Watch it was less of a fight and more like a surrender. Don't have the funds for a Speedmaster.

Name:  IMG_20171211_075249.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  165.9 KB
    mougino, Negakinu and Firecrow911 like this.

I can see the specs and know is something will work or not. However, before I realized what I like I tried out watches that were too big. If I feel like
    I have to give a watch a chance then I sell it. The watches that stay are the ones that slip on the wrist without a second thought.

Usually 48mm lug to lug is my max. I donít do a mm above it.
    mr_nobody, VaEagle and Perdendosi like this.
    My Watch Pics (IG) ---> CLICK HERE
    Sales Forum Feedback History ---> CLICK HERE

I was thinking about this very question this morning.....Because of the "new" Helson and the new Zoretto....one is to BIG and HEAVY the other to small....I came to the conclusion that it's all about the price tag REALLY.....I would buy both of them if they were more affordable...in a split second.
    Unfortunately the price's of these Micro Brands are creeping up to a point were the FUN of getting one and trying lots of styles no scratch that....read: getting lots of different DIVERS is killed completely for me.
    As for the perfect size.... for me (wrist 6.5) it's 41 case 22mm lug <50 L2L.
    That is also the size of the first Watch I bought after finding WUS: the Orient Ray with day pusher (and I wonder sometimes if I would have preferred 42mm if I had gotten that size first.
    ..........Read a lot, Write a little.......

This is my experience. Thereís been watches I tried to like and convinced myself it was just ONE thing keeping it from being perfect - or close to it. But I just couldnít get over it and sold the watch.

But with 20/20 hindsight, there was more than just that ONE thing. I got so focused on that ONE thing that I blinded myself to other things I didnít like.

I guess what Iím saying, Iíve always found it really wasnít just one thing like the size or whatever. It was always other stuff, too. Maybe itís just not the watch for you.
    Perdendosi likes this.
    "Oh, nice. So now we're quoting other people to sound deep." -alx007

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information