If you had $1500, which watch would you buy? Include pics.
Like Tree262Likes

Thread: If you had $1500, which watch would you buy? Include pics.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 84
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    43

    Off Topic post If you had $1500, which watch would you buy? Include pics.

    Especially watches currently on the market - not pre-owned or vintage.

    Edit - in response to many of the comments - you don't have to spend the full amount. But make good use of it - don't buy a $10 swatch and pocket the $1490
    Last edited by LMF5000; 6 Days Ago at 22:38.

  2. #2
    Member Mrs Wiggles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    1,237

    Re: If you had $1500, which watch would you buy? Include pics.

    Quote Originally Posted by LMF5000 View Post
    Especially watches currently on the market - not pre-owned or vintage.
    I have given this a lot of thought. Strangely enough the price bracket is difficult. There watches I would like that cost more, and there are watches I like that cost a fair bit less. The price of $1500/£1200 is the Tag/Rado/Maurice Lacroix/Raymond Weil price bracket. None of these really float my boat much. A while ago I saw a Longines watch in an airport shop that I fell in love with, but haven't managed to find it. I am going to save you some money and go for a Tissot Seastar automatic, but ask me again tomorrow and may have changed my mind
    When I read about the evils of drinking I gave up reading

  3. #3
    Member ObiWonWD40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Lydiard Tregoze, Wiltshire, England,UK
    Posts
    1,163

    Smile Re: If you had $1500, which watch would you buy? Include pics.

    I must say that personally I would not spend $1,500 on a watch for my own use.

    I did buy my wife an Omega Seamaster, but then again that is more nice jewellery than a watch is some ways.

    Given my spending habits, I could buy around 10 Plus watches for that budget, which to me represents entirely a better way to go. YMMV Everybody is entitled to spend their hard earned money in the way they see fit. For me I enjoy watches, but I question if I enjoy the chase of buying a very cheap watch that does not look cheap more than spending a wodge of cash on a nice piece of wrist jewellery.

    OK so the OP said he wanted pictures!

    Here is a shot of my most expensive watch! And pictures of some of my Very Affordables.................

    Name:  DSCF1760.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  1.88 MB

    Name:  bulova-96b258-special-edition-lunar-pilot-chronograph-wristwatch-p7474-25303_image.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  97.9 KB

    Name:  WP_20190510_11_04_57_Pro.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  1.26 MB

    Name:  WP_20190305_14_19_05_Pro.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  1.88 MB

    Name:  DSCF1925.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  1.34 MB

    Name:  DSCF1921.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  1.84 MB

    Name:  WP_20181012_13_47_08_Pro.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  1.74 MB

    Name:  Seiko-MecaQuartz.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  428.4 KB

    Name:  WP_20180727_11_48_14_Pro.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  1.76 MB

    Including my most expensive watch, the Bulova Lunar Pilot, this little lot here is around about or a bit shy of $1,500, my contention is that for me this is a far better bet than buying that ONE watch.

    I have toyed with the idea on several occasions, last Christmas, my wife wanted me to go for a Grand Seiko, we got as far as going into the store and getting the looks from some snobby sales assistant, who after he sneered at me for a bit, got short shrift from the Store Owner Manager, who I have known for about 25 years. He starting asking me how I was and questioning me about their POS computer system, he knew me as he is a member of the Rifle Shooting Club where I was Secretary for the last 20 years and knew I was a Director of a computer consultancy. I think my Business Partner is one of his best customers. He has bought, aka wasted his money on Tag watches for each of his three sons when they graduated, he wears a Rolex and a Omega himself. But he got a shock a few weeks ago when his eldest son was mugged and his watch, phone and wallet stolen. I was also shocked by the story of the Guy who bought his Grail Watch and got mugged when he came out of the store!

    He now wears one of my £7.99 Slazenger Specials with a £8.99 leather rally strap. As he says it has a Miyota quartz movement and keeps better time than his Omega, (that he bought on a cruise ship)

    These days sadly, you don't want to wear anything expensive if you travel to or in London as the wonderful Mayor has let the security get right out of control!

    So there you have it, I would not buy an expensive watch because I can't afford to, it is just that my lifestyle does not justify one.

    Very best regards,
    Jim
    fish70, Synequano, rkbry and 2 others like this.
    Retired!! W O R K is a four letter word!
    Jim

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member Mrs Wiggles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    1,237

    Re: If you had $1500, which watch would you buy? Include pics.

    Quote Originally Posted by ObiWonWD40 View Post
    I must say that personally I would not spend $1,500 on a watch for my own use.

    I did buy my wife an Omega Seamaster, but then again that is more nice jewellery than a watch is some ways.

    Given my spending habits, I could buy around 10 Plus watches for that budget, which to me represents entirely a better way to go. YMMV Everybody is entitled to spend their hard earned money in the way they see fit. For me I enjoy watches, but I question if I enjoy the chase of buying a very cheap watch that does not look cheap more than spending a wodge of cash on a nice piece of wrist jewellery.

    OK so the OP said he wanted pictures!

    Here is a shot of my most expensive watch! And pictures of some of my Very Affordables.................

    Name:  DSCF1760.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  1.88 MB

    Name:  bulova-96b258-special-edition-lunar-pilot-chronograph-wristwatch-p7474-25303_image.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  97.9 KB

    Name:  WP_20190510_11_04_57_Pro.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  1.26 MB

    Name:  WP_20190305_14_19_05_Pro.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  1.88 MB

    Name:  DSCF1925.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  1.34 MB

    Name:  DSCF1921.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  1.84 MB

    Name:  WP_20181012_13_47_08_Pro.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  1.74 MB

    Name:  Seiko-MecaQuartz.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  428.4 KB

    Name:  WP_20180727_11_48_14_Pro.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  1.76 MB

    Including my most expensive watch, the Bulova Lunar Pilot, this little lot here is around about or a bit shy of $1,500, my contention is that for me this is a far better bet than buying that ONE watch.

    I have toyed with the idea on several occasions, last Christmas, my wife wanted me to go for a Grand Seiko, we got as far as going into the store and getting the looks from some snobby sales assistant, who after he sneered at me for a bit, got short shrift from the Store Owner Manager, who I have known for about 25 years. He starting asking me how I was and questioning me about their POS computer system, he knew me as he is a member of the Rifle Shooting Club where I was Secretary for the last 20 years and knew I was a Director of a computer consultancy. I think my Business Partner is one of his best customers. He has bought, aka wasted his money on Tag watches for each of his three sons when they graduated, he wears a Rolex and a Omega himself. But he got a shock a few weeks ago when his eldest son was mugged and his watch, phone and wallet stolen. I was also shocked by the story of the Guy who bought his Grail Watch and got mugged when he came out of the store!

    He now wears one of my £7.99 Slazenger Specials with a £8.99 leather rally strap. As he says it has a Miyota quartz movement and keeps better time than his Omega, (that he bought on a cruise ship)

    These days sadly, you don't want to wear anything expensive if you travel to or in London as the wonderful Mayor has let the security get right out of control!

    So there you have it, I would not buy an expensive watch because I can't afford to, it is just that my lifestyle does not justify one.

    Very best regards,
    Jim
    Your post could have been written by me. I have the same Rotary as pictured in your post, it's a lovely timepiece. I am shocked you don't like Mr Khan, he is so popular
    When I read about the evils of drinking I gave up reading

  6. #5
    Member ObiWonWD40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Lydiard Tregoze, Wiltshire, England,UK
    Posts
    1,163

    Re: If you had $1500, which watch would you buy? Include pics.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Wiggles View Post
    Your post could have been written by me. I have the same Rotary as pictured in your post, it's a lovely timepiece. I am shocked you don't like Mr Khan, he is so popular
    Mayor Khan is a wonderful, popular individual, it is just that as a Mayor of London he is bloody useless!

    I need to travel to London at least two or three times a month and I wear a reliable cheap watch every time. Sad but true, I have friends who are getting cheap watches for Christmas this year as anything that is seen to be valuable, i.e. more than the cost of the illegal drug of choice, makes you a target! So don't use or carry anything that makes you a target. Cheap Watch, basic cheap phone that makes and receives calls and text, one or no c/r card and just £20 in cash does the job. Sad that we have got to this state, but stay safe!

    Best regards,
    Jim
    Retired!! W O R K is a four letter word!
    Jim

  7. #6
    Member mconlonx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    3,322
    I would not spend 1500 on a single watch. Did that once, was not comfortable having that much tied up in one watch, flipped it and put money elsewhere in my life, while also picking up a few affordables I had always wanted.

    With that kind of budget, I'd as soon pick up a couple really great microbrand offerings, a Chinese homage or two, a Vostok and a couple hand wind cheapies from Good-Stuffs. Maybe the solar Alba field.watch, too.

    But. For this exercise, shopping new, I'd check out a Longines Hydroconquest, and see if I could score some kind of outrageous deal on a Carl F Bucherer Manero Auto Date, but probably settle for either a Damasko DA4x on a strap, or a Sinn 556 on bracelet.
    ObiWonWD40 likes this.
    Watches are life. Live to Watch, Watch to Live. Do you even Watch, bro?

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    18

    Re: If you had $1500, which watch would you buy? Include pics.

    The Farer Lander II GMT. I love the dial color and the functionality of this watch.

    Name:  LANDER_millanese_ef496bc0-f59a-43df-a5cf-279bffa0f57f_922x922.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  79.1 KB

  9. #8
    Member Sussa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    821

    Re: If you had $1500, which watch would you buy? Include pics.

    Like others, I wouldn't be comfortable wearing a $1500 watch. But to play along with the question, Nomos Club 36mm.

    Name:  Screen Shot 2019-11-28 at 8.23.09 AM.png
Views: 95
Size:  138.7 KB
    TgeekB, Synequano, Audy and 1 others like this.

  10. #9
    Member Spartan247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,125

    Re: If you had $1500, which watch would you buy? Include pics.

    This is an easy one for me because I already own it, although I spent $1600 from an AD but gray market it can be had new for $1500. Oris Aquis Date 43.5. I am in the quality>quantity camp, so I’d rather have a smaller collection that includes a couple nicer watches. Not my pics but these are the two that sealed the deal for me on the Aquis.


  11. #10
    Member cubdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Oregon, Illinois
    Posts
    199

    Re: If you had $1500, which watch would you buy? Include pics.

    I'm not sure why some people have to scoff at the idea of spending x amount of dollars on a watch or anything else for that matter. My opinion is if it's not my money it's not my business.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 4 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 4 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •