A little help? - Scratched, dinged, what can be done for brushed stainless? advice?

Thread: A little help? - Scratched, dinged, what can be done for brushed stainless? advice?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

A little help? - Scratched, dinged, what can be done for brushed stainless? advice?

Last night I dropped my Herc 182 (which is fairly hefty) on my Ticino big pilot from a distance of about 4 inches.

The result was disturbing to me. The Ticino has an odd ding or scratch now, and it's fairly big.

It looks as though the grain on the brushed stainless steel just changed direction where the Herc hit it... (see photos below).

The Herc suffered no damage at all. I don't know what part of the Herc hit the Ticino. It wasn't the crown, because it was opposite the Ticino when it happened.

Anyway, I know the Ticino Big Pilot is an inexpensive watch (I bid for it on ebay and got it for $115), but I really like it alot. It's been good to me.

My question is: Is there any remedy to the damage seen in the photos that does not cost more than the watch itself? For instance could the scratch be "brushed" out?

You'll have to forgive my ignorance on the matter, I know nothing about such things.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by jPhoenix; February 19th, 2009 at 18:20.
    my collection varies too much to list. i have some watches.

Re: A little help? - Scratched, dinged, what can be done for brushed stainless? advice?

Nice check on the table!
    Last edited by thetokyokid; February 21st, 2009 at 19:03. Reason: removed the value

Re: A little help? - Scratched, dinged, what can be done for brushed stainless? advice?

Thanks for the heads up. cropped the photo.

Now back to the scratch - advice?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator: F72 and F71 AlbertaTime's Avatar

Try a google search for: "Scratch Pen for Brushed Finished Steel Bracelets" and similar items. The first I found was in Britain but they're on ebay from US locations, etc

I have one for my brushed titanium
    homage and, used gently/carefully, it works pretty well. As some of the ads say, practice on the underside of a bracelet til you get the touch.

Hope that helps.
    Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River (AMCH/PR) 中国手表博物馆,皮斯里弗,艾伯塔省; Member: China Horologe Association; Chief Expert: China Watch Overseas Working Committee (CWOWC), a formally instituted CHA Working Committee; Sino-Canadian Horological Cultural Affairs Advisor: Guangzhou Watches and Clocks Association

Quote Originally Posted by AlbertaTime View Post
    Try a google search for: "Scratch Pen for Brushed Finished Steel Bracelets" and similar items. The first I found was in Britain but they're on ebay from US locations, etc

I have one for my brushed titanium
    homage and, used gently/carefully, it works pretty well. As some of the ads say, practice on the underside of a bracelet til you get the touch.

Hope that helps.
    Yes this helps. It's a good place to start. I just purchased the pen and satin refinishing pad on ebay from Boston Watch exchange...

Thanks very much.

Suspended

Cape Cod cloth works well on polished surfaces. Don't use on brushed finish.

I have used a scotch bright pad on a brushed finish bracelet and it worked fine for some minor scuffs. Since your's is so close to the crystal, I would consider something else with more precision.

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by jPhoenix View Post
    Yes this helps. It's a good place to start. I just purchased the pen and satin refinishing pad on ebay from Boston Watch exchange...

Thanks very much.
    I love how they have the same refinishing kit with different watch brands in the title, but the one for Panerai costs more than all the rest.

This might be a good time to consider having the watch media blasted and go for a different look. I was looking at NEWW and they will bead blast a case for $45.

My Archimede Pilot has the satin/blasted finish and it's very cool looking.

Good info... I've checked the site. Very interesting. My wheels are turning for a custom seiko of some sort now...

I think now is the perfect time to bring up the topic of

SWISS TUNGSTEN!!!!!!!!

Acclaimed for having virtually scratchproof polished cases. Same with LumTec Tungsten.

http://www.titanium-jewelry.com/tungsten-watches.html
    Tungsten Watches...Imagine owning a watch that never scratches! Our Swiss Tungsten watches have solid tungsten carbide bracelets and cases. They have Swiss quartz crystal movements and sapphire crystals. Designed to last a lifetime, our tungsten watches come with a one year all inclusive warranty and beautiful wooden presentation box.

http://lum-tec.com/m_tungsten
    Using a solid Tungsten (wolfram) case, The new automatic M series is up to nearly any task you can throw at it. Tungsten will never lose it's polish, and is nearly impossible to scratch. Diamond is one of the only materials that can scratch the surface. With a melting point of 3410 degrees celcius, This case is extremely heat resistant. The weight is similar to that of 24k gold, and the polish even finer. The perfect material for a wristwatch that will see rough usage.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information