Micros in Hong Kong - Two Fat, Too Furious... - Page 13
Like Tree2231Likes

Thread: Micros in Hong Kong - Two Fat, Too Furious...

Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Re: Micros in Hong Kong - Two Fat, Too Furious...

Quote Originally Posted by Avo View Post
    Oakley Holbrook Jade Iridium?

(I also collect sunglasses ...)
    Panama Jack drugstore specials.

My phone can beat up your phone...
    This used to be my signature, but now it's just this generic drawing of a watch.

I'm not on social media 24/7. Itís not a good way to reach me for support, or for me to deliver it. In order to best serve my customers, and manage my time effectively, I have turned private messaging off. The best way to reach me is using the support page of my website. Thanks for understanding.

I've never been in a train wreck before.

At least not as a passenger.

Apparently Sea-gull has now stolen ANOTHER of Chip's designs, and remade the Corvid.

We (Chip, me, and Hong Kong Ed) are now standing in the Sea-gull booth as everyone tries to figure out how they could have coincidentally reproduced two of his designs.

There's a .....-ton of Cantonese flying back and forth. I haven't a clue what's being said, but I think I'm just here as muscle anyway.

That's Chip in the hat.

This used to be my signature, but now it's just this generic drawing of a watch.

I'm not on social media 24/7. Itís not a good way to reach me for support, or for me to deliver it. In order to best serve my customers, and manage my time effectively, I have turned private messaging off. The best way to reach me is using the support page of my website. Thanks for understanding.

I don't know who this lady is, but she's carrying on like she's running the show here.

All the Seagull dudes are acting completely baffled. Lots of chin-rubbing and brow-scrunching. She sounds like she's putting forth some theories about how this is Chip's fault, or maybe mine, somehow. Ed seems to be playing the role of reasonable yet disinterested third party.

That's it, Ed, keep 'em honest...

domoon, Toh, Tanjecterly and 7 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Damn, that really didn't sound good. Will chip involves lawyer this time? Any blood shed yet? I really hope it ended well for him.

Sent from my SM-E500H using Tapatalk
    docvail and LifeTrekker like this.

Photos of the culprit watch, please! I loved the Corvid from Day 1 since it was so different from all other designs, so any attempt of copying should be obvious. This is getting really ridiculous. It's as if they found a cow they can milk and like her for the fine milk. It's high time Chip turned into a bull instead!
    domoon and LifeTrekker like this.

Chip has a pic of the S-G version on his camera. He'll have to post it later. It wasn't on display in their booth, which makes sense once you hear the explanation.

Fair warning, this story is harder to follow than a donkey show in Tijuana, but here goes...

Apparently Chip was tipped off about the SG version by one of his customers. I don't know where the customer saw it, or how Chip ended up with a pic of it on his camera, showing his watch next to their version, but that's where I picked up the story earlier today.

For those who aren't aware, there's the "main" Sea-Gull, which is Tianjin Sea-Gull (I think, this $h1t even confuses me), plus a bunch of other semi-related entities doing business in other places, under various degrees of license from the mother-ship. There is (or was) "Hong Kong Sea-Gull", "Sea-Gull USA", and I guess some other PacRim Sea-Gull entities in Singapore, Indonesia, and perhaps some other places.

If I remember correctly, when they knocked off the Balaur, it looked like it might have been some sort of special edition intended only for one of those PacRim markets.

Additionally, at that time, I think we (all of us, including Chip) were under the impression that when he sent the Balaur (and the Corvid, apparently) to Sea-Gull's in-house OEM shop, it was inside the mother-ship.

So, today, Chip, HKEd and I paid a visit to the mother-ship's booth in the "Salon" section of the show, in order to call bull$h1t, right to their faces.

You tell me you're on your way to cause a ruckus, I'll make the time to join you. I loves me a showdown. So there we were, like the Earps and Doc Holiday, staring down the Clantons and McLowerys.

As you can imagine, Chip caught them completely off guard. But to their credit, my impression was that they weren't immediately defensive, and I should also note that I did NOT see their versions of either model on display in their booth.

To the contrary, the first guy seemed genuinely surprised, and behaved as if he saw something seriously amiss. He called in some other guy, a bigger cheese, who apparently would be in a position to explain. From the body language, he didn't know what to make of it either, which is when we started to gather a crowd of these guys, and all that chin-rubbing started. Within a minute or so, the Lady jumped in, and again, I didn't know what she was saying, but whatever it was, she was pretty animated about it.

Here's the translation from Ed and Chip...

Apparently, the OEM shop Chip sent the Balaur and the Corvid to was NOT inside the mother ship. Apparently it was Sea-Gull USA. I think Chip confirmed this.

Further, these folks claimed today that Sea-Gull USA has gone completely rogue, and they (the mother ship) have cut all ties with them. According to the folks here, Sea-Gull USA has been making their own models and using the Sea-Gull branding without the mother ship's authorization. They pointed out that Chip's designs were too modern for them, which I guess is a nice way of saying, "you suck, and so do your watches", something I've gotten used to hearing, but not in a nice way.

In a nutshell, they say it was Sea-Gull USA who stole Chip's designs, and pirated the mother-ship's branding, and there ain't a goddam thing Tianjin Sea-Gull can do about it.

And what I said earlier about Hong Kong being immune from irony? Welp, forget that. After spending ten minutes telling Chip this wasn't their fault, they couldn't stop it, and he was basically SOL, they turned around and offered to work with him - as his OEM!

I'm what you might think of as an "assumptive" salesperson. I generally act as if the sale is a foregone conclusion, and only the details need to be worked out. But I never had ball$ like that.

Respect.

Chip, Ed and I walked away and compared notes.

I think we were all skeptical at first, however, these facts are clear (I think):

1. The OEM person Chip dealt with was in the USA. Again, I think Chip has confirmed this.

2. As far as I know, neither of the models in question were ever displayed by Tianjin Sea-Gull, either on their corporate website or at any trade shows. If the mother-ship had any investment in those models, you'd think they'd take some initiative to sell them.

3. Chip's designs are definitely not the usual Sea-Gull sort of fare.

4. Apparently, there ARE fake Sea-Gulls being made and peddled online, so...

I don't know if Chip is done yet. He says the guy he dealt with hasn't responded to any of Chip's attempts to reach him. Ed's reaction tells me this isn't exactly shocking to him, living here, having stuff made, and having seen shenanigans firsthand.

As a business owner, it irks me that Sea-Gull, the world's largest movement manufacturer and the 400-pound gorilla in the Chinese industry doesn't think it's worth it to hire a USA-based lawyer and shut the USA operation down.

I mean, this is their monster. Yeah, Sea-Gull USA may have gone rogue, but at one point, they reported to the mother-ship, something that doesn't just happen over drinks in Tianjin. They helped put SG USA in business, and you'd think they'd care enough about their own brand reputation to do more to protect it.

All that said, other than not taking any steps to shut SG USA down, it does appear that their hands may be clean in all of this, and it was not them who stole Chip's designs.

From what I've heard from electronics being ripped off there, they often gave a maze of companies to point fingers at and to "hide" away from. A clue would be to find out what assembly line actually made the rip offs, and who controls it and who else uses the same line.

At least, if SG-USA really is a US Corp, our laws can be used against them. Plus using ITC importation protection of copies can be swift.
    domoon and LifeTrekker like this.

The offending piece.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn D5503 met Tapatalk
    docvail, Toh, saltddirk and 6 others like this.

hwa

Quote Originally Posted by om-4 View Post

The offending piece.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn D5503 met Tapatalk
    C'mon, Chip, looks NOTHING like yours. Yours is just a dial. Theirs has a case and everything!

More seriously, if what is being reported is factually correct, and Sea-Gull USA is the offender, well, lucky you. USA IP laws apply, and if you can find a lawyer WIS willing to work with you for some watches, maybe just maybe you've got a shot... Okay, IP lawyers, where you at? Chip needs a solid!

Quote Originally Posted by hwa View Post
    C'mon, Chip, looks NOTHING like yours. Yours is just a dial. Theirs has a case and everything!

More seriously, if what is being reported is factually correct, and Sea-Gull USA is the offender, well, lucky you. USA IP laws apply, and if you can find a lawyer WIS willing to work with you for some watches, maybe just maybe you've got a shot... Okay, IP lawyers, where you at? Chip needs a solid!
    Hey Andrew! Aren't you a lawyer? Hmmmmmm.....
    kpjimmy, rpm1974 and LifeTrekker like this.
    "I can't come back, I don't know how it works... " The Wizard of OZ

Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread Information