Are Mido Watches Made in China?
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Are Mido Watches Made in China?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Are Mido Watches Made in China?

Hi everyone,

I recently opened my Mido Ocean Star dive watch and noticed it had the text "Hong Kong" printed on the other side of the case back. Is this watch partially or fully assembled in China? I thought this was weird since they push the fact that it's "Swiss Made" using an ETA movement etc.

Let me know what you guys think.

Re: Are Mido Watches Made in China?

hmmm

the short of it is usually that "swiss made" doesn't mean that it's 100% made in/parts from switzerland ...it's some sort of percentage thing....i'm sure someone more tuned in will come in later with the detail.

beyond that, i like my mido, strap it on from time to time, and keep it pushin'.

I think the requirement for something to be stamped with "Swiss Made" is only like 51% Swiss. The rest of the parts can come from anywhere else.
    Last edited by RTea; February 10th, 2014 at 05:11.
    Current Arsenal:
    HMT Pilot | Casio G-Shock Riseman | Seiko SNZH57 | Baume et Mercier Capeland S Chronograph | Omega Seamaster Professional Chronograph
    Purchase free since: 4/1/15 (subject to change)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ericmeds View Post
    Hi everyone,

I recently opened my Mido Ocean Star dive watch and noticed it had the text "Hong Kong" printed on the other side of the case back. Is this watch partially or fully assembled in China? I thought this was weird since they push the fact that it's "Swiss Made" using an ETA movement etc.

Let me unpack the FHS regulations a bit:

1. A "Swiss Made" watch must have at least 50% of the value of its components manufactured in Switzerland including a "Swiss movement", and final assembly and inspection must occur in Switzerland.

2. A "Swiss movement" must have at least 50% of the value of its components manufactured in Switzerland, and final assembly and inspection must occur in Switzerland.

Your watch has a case that was made in Hong Kong (and was so marked possibly to satisfy the import laws of whatever country in which you bought the watch). A mechanical movement is generally worth more than a watch case so the origin of the case does not invalidate the "Swiss Made" inscription on the dial. The watch must have been assembled in Switzerland to bear that inscription.

By the way, I guess that this watch is not a new watch given that (as far as I know) "Hong Kong" has not been valid as a component country-of-origin since 1997.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Most "Swiss" brands these days have many of their components made in China.

They do the assembly in Switzerland and use a Swiss movement to get over the 51% Swiss Made rule.

Quote Originally Posted by ericmeds View Post
    Hi everyone,

Not only Mido, but all the lower end Swatch brands use Hong Kong cases... Certina, Tissot, etc. I would guess that most Swiss watches under $1000 USD or so also do this.

I can understand that a Swiss mechanical movement (let's say $100 in bulk) makes up more than half the value of the watch. But, I can't understand how a quartz movement would represent more than half the watch's value. Hi end ETA quartz movements can be had for about $10 wholesale, so how does the rest of the watch only cost $10 when it goes for like $400 retail??
    Last edited by Dan Finch; March 5th, 2018 at 22:49.
    HoustonReal likes this.

Bunker Hill Village, Texas, United States

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Finch View Post
    Not only Mido, but all the lower end Swatch brands use Hong Kong cases... Certina, Tissot, etc. I would guess that most Swiss watches under $1000 USD or so also do this.

I can understand that a Swiss mechanical movement (say $125 in bulk) makes up more than half the value of the watch. But, I can't understand how a quartz movement would represent more than half the watch's value. Hi end ETA quartz movements can be had for about $10 wholesale, so how does the rest of the watch only cost $10 when it goes for like $400 retail??
    Of course many Swiss companies don't want to admit it, but the bulk of Swiss watch cases are made in China.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...-idUSKBN1E01YT
    The manufacture of components including dials, sapphire glass and cases is flourishing in China, Thailand and Mauritius and many of these end up in watches designated as“Swiss-made”. The key requirement is that 60 percent of the manufacturing costs occur in Switzerland, up from a previous 50 percent threshold that applied only to the movement — the core mechanism.

As of January 1, 2017 "Swiss Made":

• At least 60% of the production costs of a watch taken as a whole must be Swiss-based.
    • The movement must still contain at least 50% Swiss-made components in value (not in quantity) and at least 60% of the movement's production must be generated in Switzerland.
    • Last but not least, it also specifies that the technical development of a "Swiss Made" watch and movement must be carried out in Switzerland. Smart watches are also included for the first time.

https://i.rmbl.ws/s8/2/z/h/6/z/zh6za.gaa.1.mp4

The new regulations took effect January 1, 2017, but that doesn't mean that starting in 2017 every watch at your local retailer had to abide by these regulations. All watches produced until the end of 2016 are allowed to be distributed until December 31, 2018. Cases and crystals in stock at the end of 2016 are allowed to be used in production until the end of 2018, without having to be included in "The 60% Rule." Watches and movements not developed in Switzerland and produced until the end of 2018 can remain in circulation until the end of 2020.

If your Mido was produced before 2017, the rules were even more liberal.

• It was assembled in Switzerland,
    • It was inspected by the manufacturer in Switzerland,
    • The movement's (not the entire watch's) components of Swiss manufacture must have made up for at least 50% of its value.
    Last edited by HoustonReal; March 2nd, 2018 at 12:34.
    B79, Negakinu, rfortson and 1 others like this.
    "Pigs Get Fat, Hogs Get Slaughtered."

It's a mushroom. Better send it over to me for inspection. :p
    HoustonReal and sunny27 like this.
    Never spend more than $100 on a Mushroom!

If you read the "Swiss Made" rules carefully, and in their entirety, and you can do some math, you'll see that despite the wide-spread misconceptions about the percentage of value, your "Swiss Made" watch could be 100% parts made somewhere else, and simply assembled in Switzerland.

Most people will argue that the percentage of value calculations are specifically limited to the production costs of all the individual parts. Those people are wrong.

The two main percentage of value calculations are applied first to the assembled watch, and then to the assembled movement. The value of assembled watches and assembled movements include the cost of assembly, by definition, otherwise you wouldn't have a watch or movement, you'd have a pile of parts.

There's a footnote in the rules which provides a very large loophole in the "assembly costs can't be included" rule. It says the cost of assembly can be included, when the parts used which are made outside Switzerland are certified as equivalent in quality to Swiss-Made parts. In that case, assembly costs can be included.

It's the specific prohibition against including assembly costs - in ONLY the movement calculation of value - which trips up a lot of people, because they stop there, and ignore the footnote right below it.

I used to get sucked into arguing about this a few times per year. I stopped arguing, and instead wrote a detailed, thoroughly well-referenced and well-supported blog article about it, and posted it here:

"Swiss Made" - Janis Trading Company

I'm not saying every "Swiss Made" watch has no parts made in Switzerland. I'm reasonably sure some of the parts, like the hairsprings or jewels of shock protectors, may be made in Switzerland. But with more affordable watches, it's almost certain that very few of the parts are actually made there. It's more likely the vast majority of parts are made somewhere else, and shipped to Switzerland for assembly.

And, by the way, there's nothing wrong with that. If all the parts are made somewhere else, say, China, maybe, I'd rather have the movement assembled in Switzerland, but only because I've used Chinese movements in production, and I wasn't overly impressed with the quality of their assembly.
    This used to be my signature, but now it's just this generic drawing of a watch.

I'm not on social media 24/7. It’s not a good way to reach me for support, or for me to deliver it. In order to best serve my customers, and manage my time effectively, I have turned private messaging off. The best way to reach me is using the support page of my website. Thanks for understanding.

Agreed specially cases are made in Asia, even for well known Swiss brands, according to micro brand owners....

Wichita Viajero

Omega Seamaster 300 Professional 2055.80 (Electric Blue)
    Tag Heuer Aqua Racer WAY1112
    Bulova Accu Swiss 63B185
    Orient Star Open heart
    Citizen Titanium Skyhawk Eco Drive JR3060-59F flight Chronograph
    Seiko a738 Chronograph
    Citizen Ana DIgi Temp Watch JG 2002-53W Gold Finish
    Hamilton Khaki Mechanical
    Tissot PR100
    Citizen Q&Q two tone watch
    Bulova corporate executive
    Timex Expedition

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast