My first watch arrived: Gavox P-40. Thoughts, pictures and video inside...
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: My first watch arrived: Gavox P-40. Thoughts, pictures and video inside...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hello all,

Thanks to the wonderful help I received on this forum, my first watch is now on my wrist! After listening to a bunch of recommendations and searching through like threads, I ended up purchasing the Gavox Curtiss P-40. There was some info here on the Gavox, but I figured I would add to it in case anyone else is looking. So, last night I decided to break out the camera and set up some stuff in hopes that I could in some small way contribute to the knowledge found on this site. Beware, there are going to be a fair amount of pictures and even some video here. This is my first review and I'm still learning about watches, but perhaps I can offer a noob's perspective on this watch.

Here's the short version of the review: I really like this watch. It is the perfect size (40mm) for my wrist, it wears easy, it is very light, it is very comfortable, I think it is quite aesthetically pleasing, it's somewhat unique (to me), and it keeps great time. This checked off all the boxes that I wanted checked when looking for my first watch while staying in my budget.

First, here's a little video I made up of some different views of the watch:

There are a few different versions of the Gavox Curtiss P-40, and I purchased the most simple one with a nice black leather band. I purchased it from Gavox's online retailer. The watch shipped from Belgium. Considering the distance the wait time was very reasonable, and painless. Mike (the fella that runs the online store) was very helpful, great at communicating/answering questions, and an all around nice guy.

The watch comes in a hard/soft case (that I'm pretty sure is a re-purposed sunglass cases) wrapped in many layers of protection in a sturdy cardboard box. I like it... a nice simple solution to transport watches. There are upgraded options for storage, but I'm happy with this.

The watch is sandwiched in with a nice soft foam:

The watch itself has a nice black face recessed a bit with minute markings, Arabic numerals at the 12, 3, and 9 positions, and a seconds dial at the 6. The seconds dial has been nicely textured with lightly engraved concentric circles.

It has a width of 40mm, but is about 46mm lug to lug. I think I read that it was 8mm thick, but can't find the documentation to back that up at the moment. It feels nice and thin. I like that the crystal on top is flat. The watch feels rather substantial, yet still somewhat low profile.

The watch sits nicely on my 7" wrist. Lug to lug pretty much covers the whole top/flat portion of the wrist.

There are many choices for bands and I chose the black leather. It is very light and comfortable. On the inside, one side of the band is embossed with the Gavox logo, the other with the words "genuine leather". The clasp appears to be the same steel as the case and sports the Gavox logo as well. I think that's pretty sharp!

The back of the case is stainless (I'm assuming) steel. That matches the rest of the case. It's engraved with the Gavox logo, along with some other markings about the watch. I read that there are only 250 of each Gavox watch. This one is number 37, which is engraved on the back as well.

In the video above, I tried to show the lume. I'm not quite sure if the video does it justice as it is showing about a 5 minute time lapse. I hadn't really got the chance to charge the lume up too much, so ended up sitting it under a light for a little bit to try and get some glow. The video actually looks darker than it was. After I turned off the camera I could still easily see the markers and tell the time. So, it may be better once I get some time to have it outside in real world conditions and get it charged up. Here are a few pics of the lume in action.

So yeah, that's basically it! It is great to be wearing a watch I already enjoy so much. Other watches I've had in the past would already have been taken off and be sitting on my desk... one or two steps away from getting lost. This one isn't going anywhere as it is staying on the wrist. I think it's got some nice potential to dress up a bit as well as be casual enough to wear every day. So, for me, it works out really well. Since yesterday it has lost/gained no time. It's spot on with time.gov

Thanks for the help all! I'm looking forward to being a part of this community, learning more, and most likely ending up with more watches :). If you have any questions about the watch, I will answer them the best I can. Thanks!

-jon
    Last edited by jrm27; March 15th, 2013 at 05:40.

Re: My first watch arrived: Gavox P-40. Thoughts, pictures and video inside...

Jrm27, looks great and man..what a fantastic lume. My congratulations.

Very cool! Congrats dude.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I never heard of this brand before this post and one other today or yesterday (what was it, lume shots? I forget). Anyhoo, it's a nice looking piece of kit. Enjoy it and wear it in good health.
    This used to be my signature, but now it's just this generic drawing of a watch.

I'm not on social media 24/7. It’s not a good way to reach me for support, or for me to deliver it. In order to best serve my customers, and manage my time effectively, I have turned private messaging off. The best way to reach me is using the support page of my website. Thanks for understanding.

I have never seen one of these before, but I like the stark contrast of the dial and the clean legibility this one offers. Congrats on your new Gavox!

Thank you for the informative write-up - great pics and vid! Enjoy your new prize and wear it in good health!
    Illyria likes this.

Congrats Jon and great writeup. I think you are one of the first on WUS to pick one of these up.

Beautiful clean pilot dial. Enjoy it....looks great on your wrist.

Nice watch. Great review. I really appreciate all the effort you put into it.

I'm waiting for the Gavox Aurora to come out.

Banned

Best video I've seen for a watch. Ever.

Way to raise the bar!

Good looking watch and nice job on the review. We need more posts like this, with new brands and designs. I like the Sinn vibe it has going for it. Well done
    "The race is long and,in the end, it's only with yourself..."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information