My New Mido

Thread: My New Mido

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Picture My New Mido

I have owned at one time or another in my lifetime some of the most popular Swiss made wrist watches. Rolex, Omega and Breitling and Oris. With the exception of Rolex, all of these manufacturers produce models made from titanium alloy. Some people like Titanium watches, others won’t go near them and stick to SS. I personally like a watch made from Ti because it suits my needs. It is light in weight, very strong and corrosion free and comfortable to wear over long periods. For more information about Titanium, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium

A Titanium watch had caught my eye earlier this year. I saw it again as a centerpiece in a group of models in an authorised Mido dealer. This one looked quite different for several reasons. It was a large dial watch, 42mm with no bezel which made it look bigger. The non-reflecting coated crystal extended right to the edge of the rim case which had a metal rim of only 1mm. The dial was black with prominent luminova yellow 6 12 and 9 numerals. Further yellow luminova markers were on the outer seconds marker rim at 3, 6 9 and 12 o’clock. The sweep seconds hand was orange and is not luminous. The hour and minute hands are polished metal with centre strips of green luminova. The watch case and magnificently integrated and uniquely designed bracelet didn’t gleam like polished stainless steel but was a low reflective gun metal gray, typical of Ti alloy. The case and the bracelet were made as one and did not have lugs.

After doing the usual research on the manufacturers website www.mido.ch/ and on some watch forums around the net, I paid a second visit to this shop to examine the watch further and after arriving at an agreeable price, I bought the watch.

Here are it’s specs:

MANUFACTURER: Mido
    COUNTRY OF MANUFACTURE: Switzerland
    MAKE/MODEL: All Dial Chronometer - M8340.8.D8.1
    MOVEMENT: Automatic 25 jewels A/H 28,800, adjusted to 5 positions and temperature. COSC.
    FUNCTIONS: Analogue hours minutes and seconds from centre axis; day and date in window at 3 o’clock
    WATER RESISTANT: 100m (10ATM)
    CASE: Titanium with screw case back and movement display window.
    CASE DIAMETER: 42mm
    CASE THICKNESS: 10mm
    BRACELET: Titanium with two side locking buttons
    WEIGHT WITH BRACELET 80gms

This model is not really an aqua sports watch and I would not recommend it be worn during scuba diving, but being 10ATM water resistant, one could safely swim without having to take it off.

For some months, I had been wearing a SS Breitling Aeromarine Colt Chrono II which weighs in at 163gms with the Professional II bracelet. The Mido is less than half the weight and feels to me as though I am not wearing anything on my wrist. The bracelet is not a hair snagger or a skin pincher and it rates an easy 10/10 on a comfort level in any temperature.

The Mido All Dial Chronometer is a uniquely clean cut looking watch. My wife thought it was designed in Denmark as it has that modernistic B & O look about it. It can be worn for most occasions and is slim enough not to catch on shirt cuffs.

I am not a horologist, but I believe the engineering standards on this model are exemplary. I read somewhere that the ETA movement has been specially modified by Mido. I am optimistic that I will have many years of trouble free use from mine. I believe that the Mido All Dial Ti chronometer with a full 24 month factory warranty, is an excellent value for money selfwinding Swiss made chronometer.

Enjoy these pictures:

I don't know why I got the double image in this lumi shot. It's not like that in real life!
    Stevie

Re: My New Mido

Just beautiful Steve...congrats and a BIG

Smile Sweet Mido

I have a Commander which I am very happy with.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Beautiful pick up. I can attest to the quality of Mido's products... I own two and wouldn't hesitate EVER to buy another!~!
    All the best,

Pax

Banned

That is a beauty that has a lot of personality and uniqueness. Very nice selection and enjoy!

Congrats on a fine watch and thanks for posting!!! :thanks Big fan of Mido, only own a vintage and Commander NOS but really love the All Dial, have to own one sometime. Can you post a pic of the side view and how thick is the case?

Great looking Mido. I love that they offer a lot of watch for a great price especially with the COSC movment.
    ToddH

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." Albert Einstein

Great looking watch,love that Dial. ......I have two Midos non-chronometers Commanders both excellent quality and good timekeepers ,Mido are very well built watches....
    Regards Graham...........

Anyone think Mido is a great UNDERrated manufacturer?? I do...but I am odd!!
    All the best,

Pax

Congrats Steve.
    Great pics!
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information