Need help with terminology and recommendations for open heart/tourbillon (sub $3000)

Thread: Need help with terminology and recommendations for open heart/tourbillon (sub $3000)

Need help with terminology and recommendations for open heart/tourbillon (sub $3000)

So I've recently gotten into finer watches (happy owner of a JS Watch Chrono and about to get an Epos Skeleton). When I was in Hong Kong I noticed a lot of the Patek fakes would have a sort of spring/tourbillon mechanism that was always spinning on the open heart portion of the watch. I really likes this mechanism and was wondering if there are any sub $3000 watches that feature an open heart mechanism that shows the spring moving back and forth (seemingly a few times a second). I really liked the action. Do all open hearts do this? Any specific models? I like the Frederique Constants, but not sure if their open hearts have action and movement. What is this called?

Re: Need help with terminology and recommendations for open heart/tourbillon (sub $3000)

Skeleton? I think there's Seiko or Orient with open heart like you describe,there is even tourbillion Sea-gull
    But for $3000,you may get an actual open heart Zenith...

Re: Need help with terminology and recommendations for open heart/tourbillon (sub $3000)

With all open heart watches you will see it moving - even the really cheap ones. What you are seeing is the balance wheel oscillating. The FC watches you have seen will let you see the movement.

A tourbillon is something different (and special), but as Synequano says you can probably get a really nice swiss watch with open heart or a seagull tourbillon for that money.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I suggest watching some videos on youtube that will illustrate the difference:

This is a Chinese Tourbillion:

Close-up of tourbillon watch movement - YouTube

and this is a Chinese Open heart:

Parnis Mechanical Wrist Watch - open heart flywheel - "tourbillon" - YouTube

A tourbillion is a much more complicated movement, and thus is quite a bit more expensive - even the cheapest Chinese tourbillons are $400 or so. Add 2 zeros to that number and you might be able to get a Swiss tourbillon.

An open heart can be bought for $20 - a decent one for less than $100.

Quote Originally Posted by rcs914 View Post
    I suggest watching some videos on youtube that will illustrate the difference:

This is a Chinese Tourbillion:

Close-up of tourbillon watch movement - YouTube

and this is a Chinese Open heart:

Parnis Mechanical Wrist Watch - open heart flywheel - "tourbillon" - YouTube

A tourbillion is a much more complicated movement, and thus is quite a bit more expensive - even the cheapest Chinese tourbillons are $400 or so. Add 2 zeros to that number and you might be able to get a Swiss tourbillon.

An open heart can be bought for $20 - a decent one for less than $100.
    WOW, thanks guys! So what is the terminology for the feature of a watch that would show the super quick rotations like in the videos? Do all open heart watches do that? Skeletons? What is the "keyword" for being able to see the speed movements like in the videos? I'm wondering if any of the Epos skeletons will have a fast movement motion like this.
    Last edited by jcb193; December 4th, 2013 at 23:12.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

If you like the 'real' open heart look (with the balance mounted on the dial side of the main plate) then you'll have to go Chinese. All the others from Switzerland, Russia and Japan use stock movements with a bit of metal cut away for a glimpse of occilating balance. Ask over on our Chinese Mechanical Watches forum for recommendations. And for under 3 grand you should be able to find a decent tourbillon, too.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

For under $3000, you can get an actual tourbillon, such as my Seagull 818.900.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Ming 17.06; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Thread Information