NH35A v. Miyota 8215
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: NH35A v. Miyota 8215

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NH35A v. Miyota 8215

After a few years of diehard NH35A love, I’ve now come to prefer the old fashioned 8215.

Anecdotally, it just seems as a modder there’s way more options with the 8215. I mean how many Invicta 8926s can you modify?

Anyway, I used to think the NH35A was superior with 24 jewels and hacking, but after six watches using the 8215, it’s growing on me.

None of the six I’ve owned have experienced the second hand “stutter”, leaving the only place I’ve witnessed it is in YouTube videos.

Miyota 8215, my new (old) love.

IG: valhallalegend
    Rista and ox71 like this.
    IG: @pete.valhallalegend

Re: NH35A v. Miyota 8215

As a dedicated non modder I think I’d go for the NH. There’s not enough in it to cause me to avoid the 8215 but faced with the same watch with a choice of movements I reckon I’d go for the NH35.
    Elfer996 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elfer996 View Post

Anyway, I used to think the NH35A was superior with 24 jewels and hacking, but after six watches using the 8215, it’s growing on me.

None of the six I’ve owned have experienced the second hand “stutter”, leaving the only place I’ve witnessed it is in YouTube videos.
    You were lucky. I only had one and the "stutter" was noticiable.

No stutter on any of my Seiko movements.
    Elfer996 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It depends on what qualities you're looking for. The NH 35 design is better for delivering modern features like direct drive and hacking but the 8215's consistency and reliability is probably the best in the industry. Even the units that go through sketchy wholesale and assembly companies before ending up in ultra-cheap mushroom brands (With zero QC) still seem to maintain low failure rates and within-spec accuracy. That's a pretty significant feat of engineering.
    Elfer996, myke, ox71 and 1 others like this.

The accuracy of the 8215s I've dealt with has been good, but it's not enough to overcome the stutter, rotor noise or unidirectional winding.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Elfer996 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JHawk42 View Post
    The accuracy of the 8215s I've dealt with has been good, but it's not enough to overcome the stutter, rotor noise or unidirectional winding.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    I’ve been missing out on the rotor noise. I only hear it if I shake the watch. And most of the 8215s I’ve worked with have been super old. Like this old time Invicta before they switched to the NH35A.

There are just so many more case options to play with using the 8215. I’ve only been able to butcher the 8926 and a Cadisen. The Cadisen had a weird dial size too.

ox71 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elfer996 View Post
    After a few years of diehard NH35A love, I’ve now come to prefer the old fashioned 8215.

Anecdotally, it just seems as a modder there’s way more options with the 8215. I mean how many Invicta 8926s can you modify?

Miyota 8215, my new (old) love.

as time has passed, my prejudices have fallen away. I still prefer an auto/handwind/hack movement, but non-hacking autos have grown on me, decent quartz, too.

I’ll have no truck with anemic minute/second hand length regardless.
    Elfer996 and ox71 like this.

The several 8215 here have been reliable, accurate and non-studdering. Only Having had one lowbeat Seiko failure, I like them both.

Now....the 9015 is still my preferred affordable movement, but that is another kettle of fish
    Elfer996 and MikeyT like this.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account:

Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

I'm not too fussy but the lack of hacking (except sometimes) on a 8215 makes me prefer the NH35.

The quality Chinese mushrooms (San Martin, Merkur etc) all use the NH35 so there is no end of options for donor watches, and there's SOOOOOO many parts for Seiko movements. Tend to be good quality too; I've bought original Seiko hands/dials from modders who were swapping them out on eBay, and they have great lume, being Seiko parts. The parts I've found for 8215 are probably what go into Parnis/Corgeut tier watches.

As regards reliability the only faulty non-Vostok watch I've received was my SARB035 which kept stopping, so it is all just luck IMO.
    Elfer996 likes this.

I’ll have to check out the ‘Chinese quality mushrooms’ IIRC, they’re a bit pricey compared to the 8926. But I am tired of grinding the branding off the sides of the Invicta cases. Here’s the same 8215 watch I posted yesterday. I just couldn’t leave it alone. There’s some pricey 8215 powered watches out there too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information