Nixon 4220 all black-ADVICE/HELP!

Thread: Nixon 4220 all black-ADVICE/HELP!

Nixon 4220 all black-ADVICE/HELP!

I got a watch for xmas and I really like it but I would like to change out the strap for a thin rubber one to make it fit better and to make it lighter. I bought the strap and even an all black buckle but took it to my usual watch repair person and he was nervous about changing it out. Can it be done??? I called Nixon to ask and they were all "it would change the integrity of the watch, blah blah, we have a 4220 PU, but I tried to explain to them that the all black in 4220 doesnt come with a PU band! Its almost like I was insulting them by even considering it. Basically if anyone has any info to help that would be great. Anyone change a band on the 5130?

Re: Nixon 4220 all black-ADVICE/HELP!

Pics would be really helpful. I'm not sure if Nixon uses a non-standard strap system.

I haven't changed my 51-30 canvas strap out yet, but I'll take it to my usual lady downstairs and see if she says anything. Sorry I can't be of more help.

You got the tide? I don't even see a regular "42-20" with no suffix. Looks like you're right, everything is either a "tide" or a "chrono".

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Wow, I can actually contribute something this time.

Nixon is sort of a popular watch in Hawaii (the whole surfing thing). It is the only watch I wear (my 51-30) where people know what it is right away. (Oh, I noticed you are bruno808, so you know that already. Sorry.)

The 42-20 strap is attached by two screws to the lug (four screws total). This is sort of unusual, and the problem I've heard is that if you strip out the screws, you can't get a replacement, especially, since those screws are color matched to the band. I think that is what the watch repair person was nervous about.

The only way I've heard of replacing a band is sending it to Nixon. However, Nixon will only replace the original band (say your original got damaged or broken). They will not put another band on it nor put a different sort of band on the watch (as you found out). They want to sell you another watch, me thinks.

The only way to replace the band is:

1. Do it yourself.
    2. Convince a watch repair person that you are not going to sue them or hold them liable for damage if they attempt to replace the band. One of my friends managed to get a different band put on by a watch repair person, but the screws had to be replaced. Luckily, the watch repairer had some screws that fit and the watch was a sliver Stainless, so the screw head color was silver so it didn't really matter. But I think this change is permanent, I don't think the watch repairer is going to be able to switch it back because of the damage switching it out in the first place.

Lastly, the all black versions are pretty limited to a certain line. That seems to be the way Nixon rolls.
    Last edited by U-Man; January 14th, 2010 at 22:50.

I have the same watch and have changed the strap a few times. It is fairly easy and causes no damage to the parts. All you need is a very small flat blade screwdriver.

One of the screws will not turn because of a small tab that locks it into the hole where the screw head sits. I cannot remember which side of the watch the head that will not turn is on but it is easy to find out. The other head is permanently connected to the bar that runs through the band or bracelet. I think the head with the tab that will not allow it to turn is connected to the bar that runs through the band.

Place the small screwdriver into one of the slots on the watch and gently try and turn it counterclockwise. Do not force it and if it does not turn move to the next one and do the same thing. My watch had no loctite on the threads and came apart very easily.

Once you get it all apart you will understand how it all goes together. The parts are small and the threads are pretty fine so go slow and work in an area where you are not going to lose the small screw head from each side.

I hope this helps.

What size of screwdriver do you need to use in order to turn the screws? Because I also bought a replacement band and on my Nixon 51-30 watch, I cant find a small enough screw driver. The smallest I have is a 3/32.

I am using a 1.5mm screwdriver. It is from craftsman 12 piece Micro-tech Expert Screwdriver set. It is the smallest one the set comes with.

Yeah you can totally change a 42 20 strap for a rubber one. I've got a 51 30 with a rubber strap, also known as a pu. Nixon customer service are known for being rubbish in Europe.

Just do a search for Nixon pu straps and you'll be well away.

For any future readers of this thread, I pieced together online tips from this and other threads and wrote a wikihow article with some photos. HTH.
    3 Ways to Replace a Nixon 42 20 Watch Band Strap - wikiHow

Thread Information