Opinions wanted - do black PVD/DLC wear smaller?
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Opinions wanted - do black PVD/DLC wear smaller?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Opinions wanted - do black PVD/DLC wear smaller?

Hi everyone,

I read that black PVD/DLC watches wear smaller.

My max sizing is 44mm width and 52mm lug to lug and 15mm thick. I'm a bigger guy so I tend to get away with this larger sizing.

However, I'm looking at a couple of black pvd watches that are just over my normal size restrictions for width and thickness. I know I can't go over for lug to lug. I have a flat wrist.

Is it true black watches wear smaller or have less wrist presence?

Thanks!

Re: Opinions wanted - do black PVD/DLC wear smaller?

I'd say not significantly and for smaller sizes it helps them "wear larger to be honest." The least "wear large" colors are a steel/ti case with gray/silver/black dials.
    Ard likes this.
    Choose a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life because that field isn't hiring.

Studies of color perception show dark colors to be recessive and light colors to be expansive. A dark object will appear to be somewhat smaller than a lightly colored object. This is why dark colored cars appear a bit smaller than white cars. So in answer to your question , I would say yes, but only marginally , and only if all other variables are constant (ie the exact same watch). (Don’t ask me for the source , but it truly was a topic in one of my university psychology courses pertaining to the perception and psychology of color. This was decades ago though, lol), judg69
    X2-Elijah likes this.
    Life is short. Enjoy the ride!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It may depend on what color your wrist is.
    mannal and Ard like this.
    The best things in life are analog.

Notwithstanding my agreement with the "darker looks smaller" logic, my hunch is that PVD would make a watch look bigger, if only because it's more likely to be noticed than steel would be, and anything that draws your eye like that may be perceived as being larger, because it stands out.
    Ard likes this.
    This used to be my signature, but now it's just this generic drawing of a watch.

I'm not on social media 24/7. It’s not a good way to reach me for support, or for me to deliver it. In order to best serve my customers, and manage my time effectively, I have turned private messaging off. The best way to reach me is using the support page of my website. Thanks for understanding.

From my experience they do (pam 351 vs 441) but I think the dial size play even bigger part on whether the watch looks bigger or smaller,for example pam submersible vs standard luminors in the same size and case shape,the model with smaller dial (and wider bezel) looks smaller than the model with thinner bezel

Ard

Generally the darker makes things smaller works especially with homes. A modest size home painted an earth tone tends to look smaller than the same architecture painted white. However I have found that no matter what color I painted a 13 room 5 1/2 bath home they still looked really big...….

And that brings me to the question posed; I'm a big fella I guess (6'4" 230 Lb.) and a 41mm watch of any color looks pretty large but I wear one. The size you are inferring is gonna look big because it is.

I just went through this with two Bulova Moon watches.

From the outset, I knew they were big so I ordered both to compare. On one hand, the black is " suppose" to look smaller, but the silver draws the eye away from one lump look.

Both failed.

Looking down my arm, they both looked like big lumps. Particularly standing on NATO straps. So regardless of color, big is big. I was so disappointed to send both back.

On another watch, the bezel and face were smaller then the body. Sitting besides my other 40 to 43mm watches, it looked closer to 40mm. Turns out, to my surprise, it was 45mm. So shape and style have a bigger role then a few mm or color.
    Last edited by Spartans; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:41.
    WUS.....is the evil force behind my wallet apocalypse.

lvt

Size does matter, not color.
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Own several DLC/PVD black watches and think they wear the same size as the others. They just look darker.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account, Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

10 reasons to dump facebook:

https://www.komando.com/tips/527072/...cebook-in-2019

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information