• 4 Post By chicolabronse
  • 1 Post By Imitrex
  • 5 Post By Aitch
  • 4 Post By JamesGu208
  • 2 Post By bluloo
  • 3 Post By Watch Hawk 71

Thread: Parnis "Submariner" - new arrival and brief review

Parnis "Submariner" - new arrival and brief review

Coles Notes: Great value, held back by little issues.

A quick review/initial impressions of my newly arrived sterile Parnis Submariner homage. Mine is nearly identical to the one which was excellently reviewed by Watchitallabout previously so I won't go into a lot of detail, but it deserves a comparison with a couple of other competitors in the sub-$200 (heh) price bracket.

Funnily enough when I arrived on WUS I didn't really "get" the Submariner appeal. However Ive become a long-time follower of the "Best Submariner homage" threads which won me over. Initially I had a Seiko SKX031 which went through a couple of mod phases, but eventually the desire for a domed crystal & brushed chapter ring (and hesitation to swap myself or invest in the swap) led me to sell it.

The kicker was that I discovered the Parnis sub was available for <$100 USD, had a domed (mineral) crystal, no cyclops (not a fan), and a DG2813 movement which gets fairly decent marks for reliability and has a few modding options. With the 031 on it's way to Alberta, I placed my order.

Parnis Submariner by Steve Hayward, on Flickr

Initial impressions were of a nicely hefty watch. Partially this is because of the bracelet, but even the watch head seems heavier than the previous Seiko. The crystal has a nice dome to it, although can seem a little cloudy from oblique angles - something more common on cheap-o watches. Liveable though.

The bracelet is surprisingly nice, including solid end links. However the clasp doesn't micro-adjust, and I also find it a bit sticky to open. This one will probably be on a strap or NATO most of the time though, so not a huge issue either.

The other thing that bugged me right away was that the bezel insert was mis-aligned by about a 1/2 minute. I knew this would drive me up the wall on a daily basis. I didn't have much luck trying to pry the bezel from the watch, but luckily a tender touch with an Xacto knife pried up the bezel insert. I then made sure the bezel was aligned with the knurled ridges at 12-3-6-9, and carefully pressed the insert back down onto the existing adhesive. Success!!

(It definitely appears I nicked the insert a bit here. Funny though it is invisible to the naked eye. Thanks macro lens!)

Overall, the watch seems like very good value for the money. You get a handwinding (and hacking? can't remember right now) automatic movement, screw-down crown, decently ratcheting bezel, domed crystal (and bezel profile), no cyclops, and a pretty good bracelet, for <$100 US. It feels like a solid piece which is definitely appreciated.

Compared to my SKX031: there are the mentioned features which appeal more to me on an aesthetic level. Also as mentioned, it seems a bit heftier, and has a uni-directional bezel instead of bi-directional on the Seiko. The ratcheting reminds me more of an SKX007, although with more slop and only ~60 clicks instead of 120. The bezel edges here are obviously more true to the Sub style as well.

Compared to the other favorite, Invicta 8926: unfortunately I haven't actually worn one of these, but I considered it for a long time due to the plethora of modding possibilities because of it's Seiko movement. The Parnis gives you no cyclops and a domed crystal (in this version, there is a flat crystal/cyclops'd model too) and solid end links compared to the 8926. I'd call it a draw between the movements, having now owned watches with both. One of the real benefits is that there is no massive "INVICTA" branding on the case to annoy you or have to remove.

Lastly, I'll update this thread with progress as I get some other parts in. I'm awaiting a Martu strap and some gilt bits :) The one other thing that bugs me personally is a sterile dial, but again I never intended to keep that!

Other images!

Steve

Re: Parnis "Submariner" - new arrival and brief review

Great pics and review, I have the 43mm version in PVD and it's a great watch, runs perfect, fantastic finishing (for a £40 watch) and i'm really happy with it

Name:  C12.jpg
Views: 4001
Size:  191.9 KB

chico

GREAT review Aitch!!!!
    Aitch likes this.
    Proud member of BSHT since thread one.

• Tudor Pelagos - Two Liner
    • Rolex GMT Master 1675 with PCG's El Cornino
    • Rolex 6285 - Waffle dial 369
    • Gilt on Black 6538 Infra Superficiem by the Master, Jelliottz
    • ​Steinhart Ocean One Black 39mm
    • Tiger Concepts 6538 369

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Aitch View Post
    Coles Notes: Great value, held back by little issues.

A quick review/initial impressions of my newly arrived sterile Parnis Submariner homage. Mine is nearly identical to the one which was excellently reviewed by Watchitallabout previously so I won't go into a lot of detail, but it deserves a comparison with a couple of other competitors in the sub-$200 (heh) price bracket.

Funnily enough when I arrived on WUS I didn't really "get" the Submariner appeal. However Ive become a long-time follower of the "Best Submariner homage" threads which won me over. Initially I had a Seiko SKX031 which went through a couple of mod phases, but eventually the desire for a domed crystal & brushed chapter ring (and hesitation to swap myself or invest in the swap) led me to sell it.

The kicker was that I discovered the Parnis sub was available for <$100 USD, had a domed (mineral) crystal, no cyclops (not a fan), and a DG2813 movement which gets fairly decent marks for reliability and has a few modding options. With the 031 on it's way to Alberta, I placed my order.

Initial impressions were of a nicely hefty watch. Partially this is because of the bracelet, but even the watch head seems heavier than the previous Seiko. The crystal has a nice dome to it, although can seem a little cloudy from oblique angles - something more common on cheap-o watches. Liveable though.

The bracelet is surprisingly nice, including solid end links. However the clasp doesn't micro-adjust, and I also find it a bit sticky to open. This one will probably be on a strap or NATO most of the time though, so not a huge issue either.

The other thing that bugged me right away was that the bezel insert was mis-aligned by about a 1/2 minute. I knew this would drive me up the wall on a daily basis. I didn't have much luck trying to pry the bezel from the watch, but luckily a tender touch with an Xacto knife pried up the bezel insert. I then made sure the bezel was aligned with the knurled ridges at 12-3-6-9, and carefully pressed the insert back down onto the existing adhesive. Success!!

(It definitely appears I nicked the insert a bit here. Funny though it is invisible to the naked eye. Thanks macro lens!)

Overall, the watch seems like very good value for the money. You get a handwinding (and hacking? can't remember right now) automatic movement, screw-down crown, decently ratcheting bezel, domed crystal (and bezel profile), no cyclops, and a pretty good bracelet, for <$100 US. It feels like a solid piece which is definitely appreciated.

Compared to my SKX031: there are the mentioned features which appeal more to me on an aesthetic level. Also as mentioned, it seems a bit heftier, and has a uni-directional bezel instead of bi-directional on the Seiko. The ratcheting reminds me more of an SKX007, although with more slop and only ~60 clicks instead of 120. The bezel edges here are obviously more true to the Sub style as well.

Compared to the other favorite, Invicta 8926: unfortunately I haven't actually worn one of these, but I considered it for a long time due to the plethora of modding possibilities because of it's Seiko movement. The Parnis gives you no cyclops and a domed crystal (in this version, there is a flat crystal/cyclops'd model too) and solid end links compared to the 8926. I'd call it a draw between the movements, having now owned watches with both. One of the real benefits is that there is no massive "INVICTA" branding on the case to annoy you or have to remove.

Lastly, I'll update this thread with progress as I get some other parts in. I'm awaiting a Martu strap and some gilt bits :) The one other thing that bugs me personally is a sterile dial, but again I never intended to keep that!

Other images!

Great review! I've been on the fence lately about getting a Parnis, but it seems that for the money, you get a decent piece. I was thinking of using Parnis . Net. I sent an inquiry to them, and a fellow named Wilson responded quickly with an answer to my question. Whether the answer is true or not, well, that I don't know, but at least I know there's someone there at the other end for what that may be worth.

Anyway, if you don't mind my asking, is this the retailer you used? If not, were you happy win who you did use for yours, and if so, I would give them a go when I'm ready to pull the pin. Btw, how long did it take from order to delivery? Again, thanks for the great review!

Thanks! I bought mine from wenping1970 on eBay. It was actually lightning fast shipping from China, only 11 days to Canada. I probably lucked out a bit. Overall very happy with the seller.

Sent while distracted.
    Steve

Little update. Unfortunately sterile dials really aren't for me, so I bought this watch and at the same time ordered a replacement Tudor dial and gold/gilt hands. I couldn't be fussed to sort out a custom-printed dial and this was the most readily-available gilt dial that I knew would fit. The disclaimer here is that I don't ever plan to pass this watch off as a Tudor, whether here or in person - I'd rather be upfront that it is a mod. The parts arrived earlier this week and I finally had time to get everything together.

Also my "Bond" 20mm NATO arrived so this is now the current configuration.

The Fauxmariner. by Steve Hayward, on Flickr

Steve

hmmm..... despite you not trying to pass it off as something it's not, IMO you've just made your own replica watch. Is it really different then buying a replica watch but being honest about it?
    tavo2311, Aitch, bluloo and 1 others like this.

Yeah, the gilt dial looks great. I'd have opted for something other than a Tudor dial.
    JamesGu208 and Aitch like this.
    It is right that the world should illustrate the full nature of the infinite and not merely the particular ideals of man - Spinoza

Nice review! It is actually a Sea Dweller homage. I have both versions and I love them both. Since it is a tool watch after all, the sterile dial or lack of advertising doesn't bother me. But that's just me. Since we like pics...

I hope you enjoy it.
    Aitch, rdwatch and chicolabronse like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesGu208 View Post
    hmmm..... despite you not trying to pass it off as something it's not, IMO you've just made your own replica watch. Is it really different then buying a replica watch but being honest about it?
    It's definitely a grey area, to be honest. Time will tell how it sits with me. It's not a 100% replica of anything since from what I can tell, the dial design is only found on a Black Bay, but this obviously doesn't have the same hands or bezel.

I'm on a phone!
    Steve

Thread Information