Quartz vs Automatic
Like Tree221Likes

Thread: Quartz vs Automatic

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quartz vs Automatic

New to the watch world and this question has been nagging at me after looking watch after watch. Is an automatic watch really that much better than a quartz if it is a midrange watch? (under a grand) I see nice looking quartz watches and at least one reviewer of the watch is begging for an automatic version of it.

I thought quartz were more accurate but I assume if you go up to the high end watches, automatic watches are nearly as accurate as quartz. But are they really worth buying at the low to mid price range?

Inactive

Re: Quartz vs Automatic

Depends if you want the beauty of a mechanical watch on your wrist

PS: What about hand wind watches ? > .. https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/hand...ic-741373.html

T_I

Quote Originally Posted by Foodie View Post
    I thought quartz were more accurate but I assume if you go up to the high end watches, automatic watches are nearly as accurate as quartz. But are they really worth buying at the low to mid price range?
    Quartz will always beat a mechanical watch on accuracy. A $5 quartz is generally more accurate then a $500 mech. This is due to the fact that quartz is more consistent in providing the timing signal then any mechanical source that's being moved around (ie on your wrist or on your pocket)

When I would pay this amount of cash for a watch I would want something special and I don't think quartz is special enough for me. (even when I could wear it, which I unfortunately can't any more with 9 quartz watches in the collection...)
    Sevenmack likes this.
    ... Time line?! This is no time to argue about time! We don't have the time.
    ... Time is a figment of your imagination, lunchtime doubly so

Kletsen over horloges in je moerstaal, kom eens naar Kaliber 2010

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You can easily get a quality quartz for less than $300. I loved both auto and quartz.

Nothing wrong with both type of watches. If you just want an accurate watch. Get a quartz and you will not burn a hole in yr pocket for accuracy.
    Last edited by Triton9; August 30th, 2012 at 18:05.
    Rxlando21, stevenkelby and Wally79 like this.
    " A great time piece on your wrist show you are serious of time "

Buying an automatic isn't for accuracy, even very high end automatic watches won't be as accurate as a good $300 quartz watch.

The purchase of an automatic is more having to do with admiring the craftsmanship, and tradition of watchmaking.

Depends why you're buying the watch. I've got a few low end mechanicals and I have them more as a collection piece for occasional wear rather than daily wear.
    If you actually want to wear your watch on a daily basis or do anything outdoorsy with them, then a quartz might be a good choice. I love my mechanicals, but it's definitely a beater quartz watch if I go out hiking or something.

I wouldn't even consider an automatic (unless COSC) for accuracy. While my v7750 chrono's run pretty accurate and within specs, my daily quartz beaters (especially my Atomic GShocks) totally kill my autos in terms of accuracy over long term. Not to mention the quartz watches are generally more robust for everyday use VS autos (more moving parts inside). I've had issues with the V7750 movement on 2 different watches (one time, 5 golf swings were enough to loosen some screws inside on my Hamilton chrono). I've had to spend $300 recently on servicing my Hamilton auto chrono within 2 years while my 6 yr old Citizen Eco Drive watch has performed flawlessly without a SINGLE maintenance performed to this day.

I love my autos but if I were to keep one watch and abuse it daily, I'd definitely consider a Atomic solar powered quartz watch (more along the lines of a sapphire Citizen Skyhawk, higher end Casio Edifice, etc). Kinda ironic when Tag makes a $XXXXX watch that can measure 1/1000 sec while a $300 Citizen will do the same function with better accuracy, yet is never heard of .

Marketing is a beautiful thing.

My 2.2222345 cents.
    dougcee, Wally79, Aleric and 2 others like this.
    Current Rotation: || Tag Aquaracer Polar Caliber 5, Casio PRW6600/GW2310, Suunto Ambit 3, Apple iWatch 3 ||

Indeed, just to echo what others have said: My $39 Casio solar atomic is always within 1 second of Fort Collins' atomic clock. My expensive in-house Nomos automatic gains about 10 seconds a day. The beauty and attraction of mechanical movements comes from the connection with history and old-world skill, and the visual beauty - not in pure accuracy. I have a good friend and fellow WIS watch addict who strongly prefers quartz movements for their accuracy and reliability (He has some exquisite $800 quartz watches); yet for me the lure lies in the pulsing miniature machine that gives a sense of poetic beauty to the thing on my wrist. It's a personal preference... and I wear and respect my quartz watches along with my mechanicals, and I love their low maintenance and reliability. Non-discriminating watch addict? Yes, guilty as charged.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

"Watches tie people to the celestial clockwork... but people have been encouraged by their clocks to ignore the daily and seasonal cycles and to pretend that there is nothing to contend with but metronome-paced linear time. We appear to have caged the sun inside a machine." Michael Young, The Metronomic Society, p. 204

What all the other guys said. I have to agree.
    cottontop
    "What's time to a hog?" Junior Samples

One advantage of automatics is that they never need a battery replacement,another is their smoother seconds hand.Disadvantages are they break somewhat easily and need to be serviced every 5 or so years(although I never have).Best go kinetic if you want something that 'charges on your wrist',although Eco drives work just as well.(I dont see why this wasn't mentioned before)

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information