Recommend a good $100-$400 auto for mother?
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Recommend a good $100-$400 auto for mother?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

After catching the bug myself (and growing a collection of 8 watches since the start of the year!) I would like to give my mother a nice automatic. Budget is $400 tops which is the most I have spent on a watch. Basically I want to get something good quality that is at least comparable to the Citizen quartz she is currently wearing.

I was initially drawn to this $100 Orient but can find no reviews on it whatsoever, and a $100 mechanical may not be high enough quality. I'm especially wondering what they skimped on since the watch has mother of pearl, (fake) crystals, and sapphire. I'm guessing the bracelet will be awful, because that's a lot of watch for the money!

Orient Precious Dress Automatic Watch with Mother of Pearl Dial and sparkling crystals on the bezel #ERAN002W

What I would love is a ladies Hamilton mechanical but I can't find anything in my budget--the mens Khaki aviation is one of my favorites. I also looked at Edox, as it is another of my favorite men's watches but all the choices were over $1,000. Perhaps I need to look at different brands than the traditional "mens" brands which I like.

Seiko's website listed one female auto for $700. I am giving my brother a SNK805 (trying to spread the bug) and was thinking I could also find a nice ladies Seiko, but no luck.

Any other suggestions? Or should I just bite the bullet with this Orient?

Re: Recommend a good $100-$400 auto for mother?

I'd go with the Orient, also because it's not a given that your mom will take to automatic watches. If she does, then you can always get something more expensive.

What is the current style she is wearing? Traditional lady-watch I presume?

A lot more women are wearing at least unisex sizes these days (men's sizes up until not too long ago) but that may not be for everyone.

Also when people get older, legibility is often more appreciated. So if she wants to move away from a teeny tiny ladies watch then there are lots of styles that are slightly larger, and also very easy to read.
    Perdendosi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberpunks2000 View Post
    Seiko's website listed one female auto for $700. I am giving my brother a SNK805 (trying to spread the bug) and was thinking I could also find a nice ladies Seiko, but no luck.

Any other suggestions? Or should I just bite the bullet with this Orient?
    I see nothing wrong with that Orient, but there are some ladies Seiko 5 models, too. Just google for Seiko 5 ladies and see if there is one you like.

Name:  SUAA81K.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  34.3 KBName:  1.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  9.2 KB

(pics from the web)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Be sure to consult (and defer to) O' Great Mother. Quartz is more convenient than auto. Ask her whether she wants to make the change.

These ladies' Seiko autos range from $195 to $277.

Last edited by blackdot; May 13th, 2015 at 14:35.
    Pelican and Perdendosi like this.
    Zenith A386 & RG Revival | ​Heuer Carrera | Gubelin V72 | Ω Speedy '57 Trilogy | Tudor Sub | Rolex Explorer & DJ | Breguet Classique | Nomos Minimatik | Squale Medium

WPAC member

Go for the Orient. I don't know how they do it either but they don't scrimp a great deal on quality.

After finding the ladies forum here, there is another candidate, for $120

Classic Rodina automatic wrist watch OEM by Sea-Gull ST17

She is wearing a square smaller, traditional, kind of dressy looking Quartz Citizen, that looks somewhat similar to this, but more dressy/fancy:
    http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/c...26slotId%3D137

I do like the Orient in the original post, but she is now a grandmother and I am thinking legibility of the Rodina may make it a better bet. Really the main thing I disliked about that Orient was the 'jewels' instead of numbers makes it slightly harder to read. Plus I had my eye on that Rodina one for myself anyway, so if she doesn't love it I'll take it! I'll try to measure her watch, but obviously a square Citizen is going to be narrower than 39mm round. I have small 6.5" wrists and 39mm watches are fine, but I'm not sure if a women would still prefer something smaller.

I'm not sure she will take to autos either, but she made the comment one day that "all the time I've been wearing this watch, with all the money I've spent on batteries I could have just saved up and bought a really nice one" Bingo!! So are you guys saying instead of a surprise, to run a few models by her and get her feedback first?

>Question: : What is the blue dot visible on the crown in that Rodina photo? I purchased a cheap <$20 Eyki automatic just for kicks and it had a big blue dot on the crown too.
    Last edited by cyberpunks2000; May 13th, 2015 at 15:51.
    Perdendosi likes this.

I'm not sure she will take to autos either, but she made the comment one day that "all the time I've been wearing this watch, with all the money I've spent on batteries I could have just saved up and bought a really nice one" Bingo!! So are you guys saying instead of a surprise, to run a few models by her and get her feedback first?
    Yes, exactly. We WIS so often are eager to spread the bug that any hint of interest, however slight, sends us on a mission.

If she isn't keen on batteries, how about a Citizen Eco-Drive or Seiko Solar? They run without a battery change for decades. Unlike automatics, they won't require servicing every five years - approx. the lifespan of average batteries, which is much more expensive and time-consuming than popping in a new battery on the spot. Your budget would get a much "nicer" watch in terms of fit and finish, rather than an base-level automatic of lesser build quality. The watch won't stop on her. The time-keeping will be accurate. And, the movement will endure.

This one here is ~$300. Sapphire crystal with inner AR coating, a very readable 36.5mm, and wonderfully detailed. The Dolce line is second only to Grand Seiko quartz. As good as it gets. You could easily spend less and still get something lovely.

This one is $140 and super-legible.

After finding the ladies forum here, there is another candidate, for $120

Classic Rodina automatic wrist watch OEM by Sea-Gull ST17
    It wears like 40mm, way too large for us ladies. Rodina makes a smaller one. But, it's manual, and the dial printing is squashed. The ST17 isn't the most reliable or robust movement out there.
    Last edited by blackdot; May 13th, 2015 at 20:33.
    Kha_jay likes this.
    Zenith A386 & RG Revival | ​Heuer Carrera | Gubelin V72 | Ω Speedy '57 Trilogy | Tudor Sub | Rolex Explorer & DJ | Breguet Classique | Nomos Minimatik | Squale Medium

WPAC member

I've cataloged about 100 women's and unisex SEIKO 5s that you can browse through for ideas.
    JohannesK and Perdendosi like this.

Good luck, my experience has been that most women do not want an automatic watch. They are normally thrust on them by their watch geek husbands.

Quote Originally Posted by fjblair View Post
    Good luck, my experience has been that most women do not want an automatic watch. They are normally thrust on them by their watch geek husbands.
    Well, I am a woman and I absolutely love automatic watches!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information