Recommend a thin military or divers' watch with a divers' bezel
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Recommend a thin military or divers' watch with a divers' bezel

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I’m posting several images I’ve sourced from others’ posts here on the forum. I hope I’m not breaking any forum rules by doing this and I’m very grateful to those who originally uploaded them.

So, I’ve been lurking for a while now and I think it’s time I asked for some help finding the type of watch I’m looking for. The watch is to be worn everyday other than when I play sports or I'm in the gym, when I’ll wear a cheap digital instead. I certainly have no intention to go diving with it. It may well be that under my constraints and preferences (particularly that of my budget) no such watch exists, or at least none better than those I’m already considering, but I’d appreciate any suggestions.

So, to start with, my absolute requirements:-

1. A quartz movement
    2. Both day and date displayed
    3. A black face
    4. A diver’s rotating bezel, either exterior or inner
    5. Maximum budget of £150

And my preferences:-

1. A clean military/pilot style face – I understand this is unlikely to be possible with a diver’s, in which case I’d prefer the cleanest and most understated face possible.
    2. Not overly thick or large, so that it can comfortably fit under shirt cuffs when necessary

So far, I’ve not been able to discover any military watches within my budget that feature a diver’s bezel. If only I didn’t require a diver’s bezel then the Citizen BM8180-03E would be perfect.

Name:  573483d1323330792-never-owned-watch-before-citizen-eco-1.jpg
Views: 6012
Size:  62.0 KB

That leaves me with divers' watches and my main problem here is the size, particularly the thickness. The watches I’ve been considering are the Seiko Black Knight quartz or kinetic, the Momentum Shadow II and the Seiko Solar SNE107. Unfortunately, it seems that Citizen quartz divers are ruled out by not having the day displayed together with the date.

Name:  seiko-shc055p-1-small.jpg
Views: 5426
Size:  47.5 KBName:  231743d1258081999-anyone-know-st-moritz-momentum-shadow-ii-imgp3326-600-x-450-.jpg
Views: 4956
Size:  122.1 KBName:  617282d1328115650-seiko-sne107-how-big-sne107a.jpg
Views: 4911
Size:  23.1 KB

Of the three, I prefer the looks of the Black Knight but I’m finding it impossible to find it for sale in the UK and it may be beyond my price range if I ever do. The Momentum is within budget and, though 11.58mm thick, apparently “wears thin” and has good reviews. However, it does perhaps have more the appearance of a classic dive watch than I’d ideally like. The Seiko Solar also has that classic dive watch appearance and I suspect it’s much too large and thick for me.

Finally, there are two “wild card” watches I’ve been considering - the Casio AMW320B-1AV and the Android Octopus.

Name:  47b31a6f-c5ac-fcf4.jpg
Views: 5090
Size:  38.1 KBName:  410q2Z3Ir9L._SL500_SS500_.jpg
Views: 5082
Size:  27.0 KB

Until I saw the Casio I would never have considered an analogue-digital, but this has more the appearance of an analogue with a small digital display for day and date, and it ticks all my other boxes. Unfortunately, I can’t find it for sale in the UK at a price I’d be prepared to pay, considering how cheap it can be found in other countries.

The Octopus breaks my requirements by both being an automatic (non-hacking at that) and due to its size, but I find it so beautiful that I’m considering it anyway.

Anyway, any advice will be welcome and apologies again for my theft of the images.
    Last edited by travisbicks; January 28th, 2013 at 01:13.

They also make a quartz Octopuz.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Recommend a thin military or divers' watch with a divers' bezel

You can't get the Casio AMW320 in the UK for less than 150 pounds? I just saw one on Amazon for a hair over $50. What's the deal? Do they just not sell them there, or is that VAT a lot more onerous than I realize? It's a shame, because it's one of the best bargains in watches.

How about something from Pulsar? The RAF Chrono is sharp looking from what I've seen of others posting pics.
    This used to be my signature, but now it's just this generic drawing of a watch.

I'm not on social media 24/7. It’s not a good way to reach me for support, or for me to deliver it. In order to best serve my customers, and manage my time effectively, I have turned private messaging off. The best way to reach me is using the support page of my website. Thanks for understanding.

Have you looked at Orients, the Mako's and Ray's? They can be had here in the US for $100-$120.
    This used to be my signature, but now it's just this generic drawing of a watch.

I'm not on social media 24/7. It’s not a good way to reach me for support, or for me to deliver it. In order to best serve my customers, and manage my time effectively, I have turned private messaging off. The best way to reach me is using the support page of my website. Thanks for understanding.

Here's a link to a GPW on Amazon:German Military Titanium Watch. GPW Day Date Red Minute Hand. Sapphire Crystal. Brown Leatherstrap. 200M W/R: Watches: Amazon.com

It's probably a little on the thick side but I think it checks all of your other boxes.

On a side note, I own that Citizen and it is a great watch for the money.

I just saw the Casio on eBay.co.uk for £53 [give or take with currency conversion] from a US seller. That's not a bad price.

Randy

This is a GPW Military. They go for about $195 although the list price is much higher. Dimensions are 42x11mm. Made in Germany, Swiss quartz (Ronda) movement, titanium case (62 grams on this cloth strap). I like the narrow bezel which allows a large dial without too big a case. Very good lume too.

There are several variants of the date display. My version (below) has two date wheels which makes a big date display, but must be advanced at the end of every month because it would naturally count 31, 32, 33, ....etc.

Name:  GPW.jpg
Views: 6033
Size:  122.7 KB

There is also an analog/digital version which is more expensive and uses a Miyota ani-digi movement which has digits that are too small for my taste.

Alan
    Last edited by Precise; January 28th, 2013 at 09:22.

Maybe you can make an offer for this black knight:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-...40-805592.html
    wish list | Weiss Standard Issue Field Black
    wish list | Citizen PMT56-2711, -2714, -2731, -2734
    wish list | Citizen NH8030 Kaji day wheel
    wish list | Seiko 6105-8110
    wish list | Seiko SBDP025

:: street_cred ::
    >>
    gentleman
    >>
    do not hesitate
    >>
    smooth
    >>
    no worries

Quote Originally Posted by waterdude View Post
    They also make a quartz Octopuz.
    Thanks, unfortunately the quartz version doesn't feature a day display

Quote Originally Posted by docvail View Post
    You can't get the Casio AMW320 in the UK for less than 150 pounds? I just saw one on Amazon for a hair over $50. What's the deal? Do they just not sell them there, or is that VAT a lot more onerous than I realize? It's a shame, because it's one of the best bargains in watches.
    The black PVD version I like is for sale at Amazon UK for £70, which seems too much to me considering how much cheaper it can be bought in other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by theinterchange View Post
    I just saw the Casio on eBay.co.uk for £53 [give or take with currency conversion] from a US seller. That's not a bad price.

Randy
    Unfortunately, with shipping and taxes that would be between £60-70 and the black PVD versions seem to be commanding higher prices.

How about something from Pulsar? The RAF Chrono is sharp looking from what I've seen of others posting pics.
    Yes, nice looking watches but I really want the divers' bezel and day display.

Have you looked at Orients, the Mako's and Ray's? They can be had here in the US for $100-$120.
    Thank you, are either available in quartz? I really like the look of the Mako and I believe they can be bought at a reasonable price from a German company. Does anyone know anything about this Orient quartz?

Name:  135.png
Views: 4525
Size:  109.0 KB
    SPORTY QUARTZ | QUARTZ WATCHES / UG1S002B | ORIENT WATCH

Quote Originally Posted by pacer31 View Post
    Here's a link to a GPW on Amazon:German Military Titanium Watch. GPW Day Date Red Minute Hand. Sapphire Crystal. Brown Leatherstrap. 200M W/R: Watches: Amazon.com

It's probably a little on the thick side but I think it checks all of your other boxes.
    Thank you, exactly the type I'm looking for. Unfortunately, the only place I can find it for sale in Europe is charging £208 and importing it form the States would cost roughly the same after shipping and taxes

Quote Originally Posted by Precise View Post
    This is a GPW Military. They go for about $195 although the list price is much higher. Dimensions are 42x11mm. Made in Germany, Swiss quartz (Ronda) movement, titanium case (62 grams on this cloth strap). I like the narrow bezel which allows a large dial without too big a case. Very good lume too.

Alan
    Beautiful, if only I could find it for sale within my budget in the UK!

Quote Originally Posted by MACHENE.Tech View Post
    Maybe you can make an offer for this black knight:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-...40-805592.html
    Automatics and too rich for my blood I'm afraid.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information