Recommendations for brands and stores
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Recommendations for brands and stores

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Recommendations for brands and stores

Hi all, noob here again. Looking for recommendations for brands that are affordable for ladies that offer sapphire crystal face. I tend to shake and sometimes scratch my watches so need some brands that would help stand up to those pesky scratches. Also, since I’m new here I’d welcome recommendations for retailers to buy from. Do I stick to Macy’s and other well known retailers or are there websites for watches that fellow collectors go to automatically to look for great deals and quality timepieces? Sorry for the green questions, all help would be welcome. Thanks everyone
    Perdendosi, Ten-Ten and Moonchucks like this.

Re: Recommendations for brands and stores

Hello and welcome!

First, department stores, and even jewelry stores, are OK for watch buying, but be sure you do your research on what the general internet price is before buying in person. Sometimes watches are sold in stores at 3-4 times what they're sold for online, or a department store will put a watch on "50% off sale," but that's still more expensive than what you find online. Of course, there are benefits to buying in brick and mortar stores (you can see the exact watch you're buying; returns are usually easier; the store is likely an "authorized dealer" so you can feel more confident that the watch brand's warranty will be honored, etc), and sometimes people pay more for those privileges. Just do some googling (even while you're standing at the store) to make sure you're not getting fleeced.

Macy's is fine, if you buy on sale. So is Kohl's (they have good deals on Seiko and Citizen often). Costco can have smoking deals on watches.

Where do "we" go? Some large brands (like Seiko) allow their retailers to sell on-line, so you can get an authorized-dealer watch from a website. Many brands (like most of the famous Swiss brands) don't. Watches sold online will be "grey market" -- meaning that an authorized dealer has sold to a non-authorized dealer for resale (because they can't move inventory, for example). That "grey" watch is authentic, but the manufacter's warranty isn't valid. So when you're shopping online check to see what the warranty is and who's providing it. (Some retailers, like Amazon, might be authorized for some brands but selling grey market for others.) I've ordered from grey market retailers before-- they can be just fine. Just understand what you're getting.

Places online to buy:
    Ashford
    Jomashop
    (these are the two biggest grey market dealers-- they may also be ADs for some watch brands; I'm not sure).
    Amazon (again, check who's selling, whether it's amazon or a third party, and check to see what the warranty is)
    Longislandwatch.com (<~~ really good service; sometimes a few dollars more)
    Certifiedwatchstore.com
    dutyfreeislandshop.com (esp. for Citizen)
    TJ/TK Maxx (limited supply, but sometimes good deals)
    Kohl's online (better selection and oftetimes good deals, esp. if you have Kohl's card)
    cerfifiedwatchstore.com (though some have reported some so-so experiences)

To make recommendations, we probably want to know how much you want to spend. Are you willing to spend $100 on a decent watch? $200? $500? More?
    Do you want "girly girl" watches with lots of bling and traditionally feminine colors? Or just unisex or smaller-sized watches? Do you like the oversized, "boyfriend" look? Or do you just want a really good watch?

In the lower range, I think Citizen makes a number of watches for women with sapphire. They're a solid brand. I think Seiko does, too. In lower-mid-range, look for Victorinox (my first go-to for women's watches). Here's a quick Amazon search. NOt all of these watches will have sapphire, but most will. Also, Amazon listings are notorious for incorrect specs, so, if possible, try to confirm with another site to ensure that the description is correct.
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=victorino...f=sr_nr_p_89_1

At the mid to upper end, Tissot and Hamilton have decent offerings. And there are more brands above. (Rado makes some interesting options, for example.)

A few microbrands (small independent watch manufacturers and sellers) have women's watches. At the low-to mid-range, there's Bernhardt. They've been around for white some time and are known for quality products and good servcice. All of their women's watches come with a sapphire crystal.
    https://www.bernhardtwatch.com/colle.../womenswatches

If you give us a bit more of an idea about what you're looking for, we can make more specific recommendations. Good luck with your search!

- Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Current collection:
    Oris Big Crown Pointer Date (in red!) | Ball Trainmaster "First Flight" Dual Time | Oris Artix Date | Glycine Airman DC-4 GMT | Christopher Ward C60 600 White Trident | Poljot Journey Chronograph | Nth Naken Renegade | Hamilton Jazzmaster Square | Kronaby Apex | Seiko Save-the-Ocean Samurai | Prometheus Jellyfish Yellow | Spinnaker Bradner | Undone Modern Chrono | Bulova UHF Military 96B229 | Raketa "Big Zero" |

Thank you so much for all the incredible information! That is so helpful! I found one watch that I’m in love with, Longines PrimaLuna that I’m going to order. I’m looking for a few more options so I can have some to pick from each day. When trying them on I seem to gravitate towards 30-34mm, so a bit bigger than normal ladies sizes. I tend to like a bit more masculine styles and don’t mind paying $100 up to $1200. Not a big bling person, more classic Hampton’s style. If that make sense. I found some on Jomashop that I really liked , there’s a Hamilton Jazzmaster that has purple/grey band and dial that I thought looked amazing. Is Jomashop a good source for legitimate timepiece? I’m still learning here so I’m so grateful for everyone’s advice, it makes this so much easier to understand what I should be looking for!
    Quote Originally Posted by Perdendosi View Post
    Hello and welcome!

First, department stores, and even jewelry stores, are OK for watch buying, but be sure you do your research on what the general internet price is before buying in person. Sometimes watches are sold in stores at 3-4 times what they're sold for online, or a department store will put a watch on "50% off sale," but that's still more expensive than what you find online. Of course, there are benefits to buying in brick and mortar stores (you can see the exact watch you're buying; returns are usually easier; the store is likely an "authorized dealer" so you can feel more confident that the watch brand's warranty will be honored, etc), and sometimes people pay more for those privileges. Just do some googling (even while you're standing at the store) to make sure you're not getting fleeced.

Macy's is fine, if you buy on sale. So is Kohl's (they have good deals on Seiko and Citizen often). Costco can have smoking deals on watches.

Where do "we" go? Some large brands (like Seiko) allow their retailers to sell on-line, so you can get an authorized-dealer watch from a website. Many brands (like most of the famous Swiss brands) don't. Watches sold online will be "grey market" -- meaning that an authorized dealer has sold to a non-authorized dealer for resale (because they can't move inventory, for example). That "grey" watch is authentic, but the manufacter's warranty isn't valid. So when you're shopping online check to see what the warranty is and who's providing it. (Some retailers, like Amazon, might be authorized for some brands but selling grey market for others.) I've ordered from grey market retailers before-- they can be just fine. Just understand what you're getting.

Places online to buy:
    Ashford
    Jomashop
    (these are the two biggest grey market dealers-- they may also be ADs for some watch brands; I'm not sure).
    Amazon (again, check who's selling, whether it's amazon or a third party, and check to see what the warranty is)
    Longislandwatch.com (<~~ really good service; sometimes a few dollars more)
    Certifiedwatchstore.com
    dutyfreeislandshop.com (esp. for Citizen)
    TJ/TK Maxx (limited supply, but sometimes good deals)
    Kohl's online (better selection and oftetimes good deals, esp. if you have Kohl's card)
    cerfifiedwatchstore.com (though some have reported some so-so experiences)

To make recommendations, we probably want to know how much you want to spend. Are you willing to spend $100 on a decent watch? $200? $500? More?
    Do you want "girly girl" watches with lots of bling and traditionally feminine colors? Or just unisex or smaller-sized watches? Do you like the oversized, "boyfriend" look? Or do you just want a really good watch?

In the lower range, I think Citizen makes a number of watches for women with sapphire. They're a solid brand. I think Seiko does, too. In lower-mid-range, look for Victorinox (my first go-to for women's watches). Here's a quick Amazon search. NOt all of these watches will have sapphire, but most will. Also, Amazon listings are notorious for incorrect specs, so, if possible, try to confirm with another site to ensure that the description is correct.
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=victorino...f=sr_nr_p_89_1

At the mid to upper end, Tissot and Hamilton have decent offerings. And there are more brands above. (Rado makes some interesting options, for example.)

A few microbrands (small independent watch manufacturers and sellers) have women's watches. At the low-to mid-range, there's Bernhardt. They've been around for white some time and are known for quality products and good servcice. All of their women's watches come with a sapphire crystal.
    https://www.bernhardtwatch.com/colle.../womenswatches

If you give us a bit more of an idea about what you're looking for, we can make more specific recommendations. Good luck with your search!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGirl View Post
    Thank you so much for all the incredible information! That is so helpful! I found one watch that Iím in love with, Longines PrimaLuna that Iím going to order. Iím looking for a few more options so I can have some to pick from each day. When trying them on I seem to gravitate towards 30-34mm, so a bit bigger than normal ladies sizes. I tend to like a bit more masculine styles and donít mind paying $100 up to $1200. Not a big bling person, more classic Hamptonís style. If that make sense. I found some on Jomashop that I really liked , thereís a Hamilton Jazzmaster that has purple/grey band and dial that I thought looked amazing. Is Jomashop a good source for legitimate timepiece? Iím still learning here so Iím so grateful for everyoneís advice, it makes this so much easier to understand what I should be looking for!
    Jomashop is a legitimate place to get legitimate watches. HOWEVER, if you have an issue with the watch, DO NOT use their 3rd party warranty. Reach out here to find someone reliable to fix it. Joma is a great place to find authentic watches at great prices. But they are not a watchmaker/repair place. If you are buying quartz, this is a non issue.

I like your choice so far and Longines is a respected brand with a good product. Post up what else you are looking at and I am sure we can all help point you in the direction of your new watch.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk
    ObiWonWD40 and SquirrelGirl like this.

Also be sure to check out Raymond Weil and Maurice Lacroix. Lots of attractice watches and from good brands with good movements.

I just went through this when buying a watch for my wife. It is really hard to find a nice ladies watch that isn't adorned with rose gold or a diamond bezel. She ended up really liking this Michele watch which I was skeptical about at first, but it is actually quite nice! Even the inside of the clasp is nicely finished!

Moonchucks and SquirrelGirl like this.

First, welcome.
    Second, what Perd said.
    Third, for a sporty, women's sized watch, no one's mentioned Momentum. You can add a sapphire crystal when you order. Sign up for the mailing list. Sometimes they have sales and do sapphire no charge.
    The best things in life are analog.

Another welcome. Perdendosi just about covered everything.

I bought my wife a Tissot from Jomashop, and I think she uses it for just about everything and hasn't scratched it in several years.
    Dub Rubb and SquirrelGirl like this.
    "I can't come back, I don't know how it works... " The Wizard of OZ

Squirrel, Dub is not on some sort of anti Joma warranty rant. Some of the horror stories I’ve read are enough to make your hair curl.
    SquirrelGirl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    Squirrel, Dub is not on some sort of anti Joma warranty rant. Some of the horror stories Iíve read are enough to make your hair curl.
    Truth! I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy a watch from JomaShop. In fact, I have and everything was great. In fact, I post links to Joma Shop deals frequently on another site since some of their prices are unbeatable. I feel comfortable buying from them all day every day, but if a warranty is a point of concern. . .

Either way, the amount you save from buying gray market usually covers the cost of a service in the rare case you would actually need one. But if I needed a service, I would definitely pay out of pocket(with the money I saved in the first place) and take it to a reputable source.

Bottom line: Jomashop is a great place to buy watches, but take the warranty with a grain of salt. You most likely wont need it anyways.

I’m looking at this Hamilton on Joma shop right now... really like it. The PrimaLuna isn’t available until October. I was thinking of buying the Longines from the Longines website and using Jomashop for the Hamilton. Think that’s wise?
    Name:  088A9468-446E-42F9-9728-0AF03F6BD1B0.png
Views: 19
Size:  1.84 MBName:  B828C0A8-2445-4BA3-AF6D-766F36EA149A.png
Views: 19
Size:  1.11 MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Dub Rubb View Post
    Jomashop is a legitimate place to get legitimate watches. HOWEVER, if you have an issue with the watch, DO NOT use their 3rd party warranty. Reach out here to find someone reliable to fix it. Joma is a great place to find authentic watches at great prices. But they are not a watchmaker/repair place. If you are buying quartz, this is a non issue.

I like your choice so far and Longines is a respected brand with a good product. Post up what else you are looking at and I am sure we can all help point you in the direction of your new watch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast