Review of the Archetype One, The Serif version by Silver Watch Co.
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: Review of the Archetype One, The Serif version by Silver Watch Co.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Disclaimer: Silver Watch Co. provided the watch for an independent review without compensation or any financial ties.

Name:  Silver Archetype (9 of 17).jpg
Views: 824
Size:  370.4 KB

I share with many enthusiasts the passion for vintage Rolex watches and this year I had opportunity to acquire a 5513 sub from the late 80s. I went through many homage watches and in the process I discovered what features I care most about and which ones I donít mind. The significant cost of Rolex watches has created a universe of micro-brands that offer their take on the originals for considerably lower prices and some of them are worth your hard earned money and time.

In this case I was very impressed with the initial images released of the Archetype One by the Silver Watch Co. Out of the several brands offering homages of the Sub, I was particularly intrigued by this one and I was very excited to have had the opportunity to check out a prototype. I was especially interested in experiencing this watch in person and be able to compare it to my glossy dial 5513. Letís see how things shake up.

Name:  Silver Archetype (6 of 17).jpg
Views: 827
Size:  399.7 KB

Silver Watches offers 3 variation of the inaugural model, each with 2 options on the bezel type. The Maxi and the Serif models have a black, matte dial and the bezel can be either aluminum or ghost-ceramic. The third model is The Blue with the snowflake hand and the bezel either with 15-minute markers or with full 60-minute markers. None of the variations has a date complication, which makes the Miyota 9039 an excellent choice as a true no-date movement with hacking function. All models have a vintage inspired domed sapphire crystal with antireflective treatment. The prototype I received was The Serif with aluminum bezel.

Name:  Silver Archetype (4 of 17).jpg
Views: 805
Size:  734.7 KB

CASE

The case of the Archetype is, in my opinion, one of the highlights of this watch. It holds the dimensions and proportions very closely to the inspiration models with a diameter of 39.5mm without the crown and a lug to lug of 47mm. It has a fantastic height of only 10.45mm. The sides have a high-polish finish (mirror finish) while the lugs and crown guards have a circular brushing finish, roughly at 45o. The transition is razor sharp, no bevels and the lugs are drilled. The 20mm lug width makes it simple to swap straps or bracelets. Two thumbs up on the quality of the case!

Name:  Silver Archetype (8 of 17).jpg
Views: 818
Size:  345.4 KB

Name:  Silver Archetype (12 of 17).jpg
Views: 807
Size:  400.9 KB

Name:  Silver Archetype (2 of 17).jpg
Views: 807
Size:  554.8 KB

Name:  Silver Archetype (3 of 17).jpg
Views: 787
Size:  520.8 KB

BEZEL

The bezel has a high-polish on the exposed steel frame which reflects light almost like a high-end fluted bezel. The insert in my prototype was the aluminum version, which displays all 60-minute markers. The luminous pearl matches the lume of the dial and has a very subtle circular elevation. This prototype had a fixed bezel, but in the production units we can expect a 120-clicks unidirectional rotation.

Name:  Silver Archetype (10 of 17).jpg
Views: 803
Size:  432.9 KB

DIAL AND HANDS

The dial has a deep matte black base with white printed hour markers. This watch features the Serif version of the dial, which you can see at 3, 6 and 9 oíclock. The markers are then covered with light yellow Superluminova that matches the hands and pearl perfectly. I particularly like how each marker has a subtle white frame visible around the lume, simulating the aged Tritium. The font and logo on the dial are crisp in white and donít overpower the symmetry of the dial.

The hands are inspired by the military Sub with the sword hour hand, pencil minute hand and arrow-tip second hand. The frame is finished in high-polish, which in certain angles makes the hands stand out very nicely. Thereís also Superluminova here.

Name:  Silver Archetype (11 of 17).jpg
Views: 801
Size:  368.9 KB

Name:  Silver Archetype (1 of 17).jpg
Views: 796
Size:  574.1 KB

Name:  Silver Archetype (5 of 17).jpg
Views: 804
Size:  349.9 KB

MOVEMENT

Silver Watches decided to use the Miyota 9039 caliber. I donít claim to have any inside information, but I believe part of the decision was based on the thickness of the movement that would allow the case to be as slim as it is. Also, a true no-date movement removes the second ďghostĒ crown position as well as the midnight click from the date change, often present in no-date watches of even higher-level cost. My only complaint, if you can even call it that way, is that like the 9015 caliber, the rotor only winds in one direction, so that when the wrist swings the movement in the non-winding direction you get the helicopter effect.

BRACELET

I was pleasantly surprised with the oyster-type of bracelet on the Archetype One. The brushed finish is very similar to the finish of the case (maybe a notch less intense) and with high-polish finish on the sides of the links. The thickness and weight of the bracelet are remarkably similar to the inspiration bracelet. It has solid links, including end-links and it tapers from 20 to 16mm. The double-lock clasp has the logo engraved but itís a standard clasp that does itís work well, but is otherwise unremarkable.

Name:  Silver Archetype (7 of 17).jpg
Views: 792
Size:  439.2 KB

COMPARISON NOTE WITH THE ROLEX 5513

I was intrigued when I first spotted this watch, but I must say I was very impressed once I got to wear it and compare it side by side with my 5513.

Name:  Silver Archetype (13 of 17).jpg
Views: 812
Size:  462.5 KB

As you can see, the bezel, is remarkable similar. I get the sense that this is likely how the 5513 bezel looked when brand new. The insert has the right markers and numerals that mirror the 5513, although on my 5513 I only have 15min marks.

Name:  Silver Archetype (16 of 17).jpg
Views: 810
Size:  341.4 KB

Name:  Silver Archetype (17 of 17).jpg
Views: 785
Size:  392.8 KB

The finish of the case is excellent! The 45o brushing is remarkably similar to the 5513. The mirror finish sides match as well. Even though the lug height is greater in the Archetype One, the overall height from case back to dome of the crystal is remarkably similar between the two. The 5513 does have a subtle facet along the lugs, which is typical for the vintage models. The current sub doesnít have a facet in the maxi-case.

Name:  Silver Archetype (15 of 17).jpg
Views: 806
Size:  370.8 KB

Name:  Silver Archetype (14 of 17).jpg
Views: 804
Size:  347.4 KB

The bracelets are also remarkably similar in feel and finish. Iím impressed with the quality of the Archetype One for the price point. The clasp is where thereís a significant difference in quality, but details like this is what ends up resulting in significant higher prices.

CONCLUSION

The Archetype One is a very impressive homage watch. I can report that while there are differences in how they wear, this watch is as close as it gets at this price point. The weight on the wrist and how it rests on it are remarkably similar between the two watches. My only criticisms are the choice of clasp and the movement. You can find the clasp on most any microbrand watch, and it would have been a nice investment to bump it up to the next level. The choice of caliber is a difficult one, but when you achieve such a nice watch you wish it could have been at least a lower-end Swiss caliber with a bidirectional winding mechanism. However, hereís is where the calculation of costs and benefits comes in, and I can only congratulate the Silver Watch Co team for being able to offer such a great watch at such competitive price! No wonder the initial pre-sale was sold out very quickly.
    If you are on the lookout for a great submariner homage watch, this is the one youíre looking for. Check them out here: https://www.silverwatchco.com/ where another round of pre-sale watches will be offered soon!

You can see more pictures of the Archetype One and my 5513 on my IG account @the_fourthwheel

Please donít hesitate to ask any questions and I would appreciate you dropping your comments below.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Jguitron; December 3rd, 2018 at 07:03.
    n1k0, Bloom, Toh and 25 others like this.

Re: Review of the Archetype One, The Serif version by Silver Watch Co.

Great review! I've never even been into subs or sub homages, but somehow your review managed to catch and hold my interest. Beautiful pics too. How about a shot of the clasps?

Nice review here...
    I've pre ordered the blue one on a whim but it looks I might not have left much of a mistake!

Tapatalk'ed over the intertubes from my awesome enchilada
    ďDonít count every hour in the day, make every hour in the day count.Ē

HtRV powa!
    Instagram: Franc38

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by robbery View Post
    Great review! I've never even been into subs or sub homages, but somehow your review managed to catch and hold my interest. Beautiful pics too. How about a shot of the clasps?

Thank you!

Here are a few quick pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    robbery, Dec1968, Bloom and 2 others like this.

nice review, glad to hear it follows through on expectations.
    Jguitron likes this.
    Grand Seiko SBGJ227 "peacock"
    Mr. Jones Number Cruncher
    Magrette Leoncino
    Magrette Moana Pacific Black
    Breitling Navitimer 01
    Breitling superocean II 44

Orient Mako USA 2
    Orient Sentry
    Kentex Skyman
    Timex iron man
    Vostok Amphibian Classic
    Vostok Amphibia 1967 bronze
    Seiko SRPA83

Great review. Thanks for the comparison pics
    Jguitron likes this.

Great review and nice pics, too !

Was waiting to see some real world shots of the Serif with the aluminium insert.

Looks like i definitely made the right choice !!!

Any chance of a shot on a black or grey Nato ?

Regards,
    Jguitron likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jguitron View Post
    Thank you!

Here are a few quick pics.

Ahh I see what you mean, not really on the same level as the rest of the watch. A glide lock would have been a nice touch. I think they sell them on eBay if the bracelet ends are 16mm. What kind of clasp does your original have?

How much does it cost?

NH35A
    tennesseean_87 likes this.
    IG: @pete.valhallalegend

Quote Originally Posted by phlabrooy View Post
    Great review and nice pics, too !

Was waiting to see some real world shots of the Serif with the aluminium insert.

Looks like i definitely made the right choice !!!

Any chance of a shot on a black or grey Nato ?

Regards,
    Thank you!

Iíll shoot some pic of it. The reference escapes my mind right now but itís the period correct bracelet and clasp.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information