REVIEW: Mido Multifort Automatic Chronograph

Thread: REVIEW: Mido Multifort Automatic Chronograph

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Member Docrwm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Metro Atlanta
    Posts
    8,555

    REVIEW: Mido Multifort Automatic Chronograph

    Watch Review
    Mido Multifort Automatic Chronograph
    M8810.4.74.8

    On one of my cruises around the internet looking at watch sales sites I happened across an interesting looking watch by a maker I had not previously encountered – Mido.



    My interests are generally toward Seiko as a maker but I have always had an abiding interest in tool watches. Here were two watches that hit my favorite tool watch categories (Chronographs and Pulsemeter watches) and both by the same maker – Mido. I was intrigued and looked into the watches further. The smaller watch is a Pulsemeter with a Modified ETA 2824-2 and the larger is the Mido Multifort Automatic Chronograph. Here were two beautiful old fashioned style watches that combined traditional 1940’s era looks with modern materials and specifications. I liked their looks and the specifications but at the time I did not buy the Mido Multifort Automatic Chronograph. because it lists for between $1695 and $1795 with a street price typically in the $1100 range.

    A couple of weeks ago I was looking for a watch as a present for myself for achieving a rather large goal at work and recalling the Mido Multifort Automatic Chronograph. I did a Google search. I found two listings on sales forums and went looking. Listed as nearly never worn, perfect condition, and by a WIS that I had chatted with a couple of times. It only took me 30 minutes to decide and I paid for it immediately via PayPal. The watch arrived 5 days later (MLK Holiday delayed it some) and was exactly as described!




    Now for the technical specifications of the Mido Multifort Automatic Chronograph:

    ·Champagne Dial with shadowed Arabic numerals
    ·Black hands with Superluminova fill on main timekeeping hands
    ·Tachometer scale in blue (Speedometer for distance of 1000m, scale from 50 to 250km/h) and seconds scale in black
    ·316L surgical grade solid stainless steel case 43mm
    ·Scratch-resistant anti-reflecting sapphire crystal
    ·Transparent mineral caseback
    ·Screwed back and crown
    ·'Conical' chronograph buttons
    ·100 meters (330 feet) water resistance & quipped with the Aquadura crown sealing system – “it's swimming, shower and sauna resistant”
    ·Fine padded Leather strap with steel butterfly deployant clasp engraved with Mido
    ·Super-LumiNova® on hands and numerals
    ·Decorated and fine elaborate Swiss Made Mido® 1320 calibre (based on the ETA Valjoux 7750) automatic movement:
    ·Adjusted in 5 different positions
    ·25 rubies
    ·28,800 A/H
    ·165 components
    ·INCABLOC and NIVA-COURBE shock-absorber
    ·GLUCYDUR balance wheel
    ·ANACHRON and NIVAFLEX hair and mainspring with power reserve in excess of 45 hours
    ·Blue screws, pearled bridges, and oscillating weight with Côtes de Genève and engraved Mido® logo
    ·Hacking and hand winding
    ·Time: hour and minute hands, small second at '9', date and day window at '3'
    ·Chrono: central 60-second-counter, 30-minute-counter at '12', and 12-hour-counter at '6'
    ·Quickset day and date with day indication in English




    Now that I had this beautiful watch I needed to learn more about it. Upon inspection the movement appeared different in several respects to other 7750 movements I have inspected. I opened my Swiss Army 9G-600 (a truly exceptional value and one of my long-term favorites) to look at its Valjoux 7750 side-by-side with the Mido. The first thing that was obvious is that the Mido has Blue screws, pearled bridges, and an oscillating weight with Côtes de Genève and engraved Mido® logo. That was not all that I saw that seemed different between the two watches. The balance seemed different on the Mido. While not technically accurate it looked like the wheel was rounded instead of straight up-and-down. Additionally, many of the parts seemed better finished. This got me intrigued and I recalled several posts over the years about different “Grades” of Eta movements – particularly 2824 movements. I posted to several WIS forums. Oddly on one of the forums that has the highest “tone” I got no helpful posts and many that were…..well frankly derisive. Then Mike Stuffler posted to my request on the Public Forum of WUS with some interesting information, he said “if you know the difference between an Etachron shock protection and an Incabloc shock protection, if you know the different look of a Glucydur balance in regards to a Ni balance you should tell.” I had read about some of these in various articles and went in search of more information – and hoping for pictures!

    The Mido technical specifications on their website included the following:
    "Technical characteristics Mido® 1320 calibre (based on the ETA Valjoux 7750) Ø 131/4’’’ or 30.00 mm, thickness: 7.90 mm, 25 rubies, 28 800 A/H, 165 components, power reserve in excess of 42 hours, INCABLOC and NIVACOURBE shock absorbers, GLUCYDUR balance-wheel, NIVAROX I balance spring, NIVAFLEX NO barrel spring, burnished screws, circular-grained bars, oscillating weight with Côtes de Genève and engraved Mido® logo."

    Here was some information that helped. So, the movement reportedly has INCABLOC and NIVACOURBE shock absorbers, GLUCYDUR balance-wheel, NIVAROX I balance spring, and NIVAFLEX NO barrel spring. This seemed to fit with what Mike had said about how to tell, but were these improvements or the standard components? Well, why not ask Mike? He responded with:
    “The "ingredients" you mentioned for sure are what I’d call the "key components" of a "high grade" movement. I sum it up:
    Balance wheel: Glucydur vs Ni
    Hairspring: Nivarox 1 versus Nivarox 2 or Anachron (ETA)
    Mainspring and barrel material: Nivaflex NO vs NivaflexNM
    Shock protection: Etachron vs Incabloc vs KIF.
    Incabloc is more expensive than the Etachron shock protection and belongs to the "top" and "chronometre" grades of ETA. NIVACOURBE is a patented spring treatment by ETA. The open spring end is treated with heat in order to prevent deformation of the spring in case of a shock. This treatment is named: ETA SA: "ETASTABLE"
    NIVAROX-FAR: 'NIVACOURBE"
    Most of the mechanical-ETA-movements can be ordered with ETASTABLE if you are willing to add some $$. Certainly a "high end module". Nivarox 1 is the best quality of Nivarox (1-5 is available). 0...0,5 sec deviation within 24 h on a change of temperature of 1º. I’ve to admit: very technical thing. The movement you described imho must be a "Top" or "Chronometre" movement.”

    This sounded GREAT! As much as I like the watch aesthetically this information was only making me enjoy the watch more. At this point it sounded good. Then I got a response to my query on the TZ-UK Forum. I had lots of compliments on the watch but had one or two technical inquiries. When I responded Lysanderxiii said again that it sounded like a “Top Grade” Eta movement. I asked if he had any specifics on the various grades and he kindly responded with:

    “The material differences are listed below.

    Standard and Elabore:
    Mainspring - Nivaflex NO
    Shock protection - Etachocs
    Pallet stones - Polyrubies, Epilame-coated
    Balance - Nickel gilt
    Balance staff - Epilame coated
    Collet - Nivatronic
    Hairspring - Nivarox 2
    Hairspring heat treatment - Etastable

    Top and Chronometre:
    Mainspring - NivaflexNM
    Shock protection - Incabloc
    Pallet stones - Red rubies, Epilame-coated
    Balance - Glucydur gilt
    Balance staff - Epilame coated
    Collet - Nivatronic
    Hairspring - Anachron
    Hairspring heat treatment - Etastable

    The performance differences are the big differences between the various grades: ("The limit values are subject to interpretation: 95% of the pieces delivered in a lot must be within the specified limits.")

    Standard:
    2 positions (CH, 6H)
    daily rate: +/-12 sec/day
    Maximum positional variation: 30 sec
    Isochronism (between 0 and 24 hours): +/- 20 sec

    Elabore:
    3 positions (CH, 6H, 9H)
    daily rate: +/-7 sec/day
    Maximum positional variation: 20 sec
    Isochronism (between 0 and 24 hours): +/- 15 sec

    Top:
    5 positions (CH, FH, 6H, 9H, 3H)
    daily rate: +/-4 sec/day
    Maximum positional variation: 15 sec
    Isochronism (between 0 and 24 hours): +/- 10 sec

    Chronometre:
    As per COSC specifications, which as far as most owners will notice, isn't much different from Top grade.

    There are variations in the finish that will come with the movement, the Top and Chronometre come with snailed rotors, and elabore is a little better decorated that standard. But, even standard grades can be gold plated or even decorated.”

    This all fit the Technical Specification from Mido and the fact that the movement was listed as "5 Positions". So, my odyssey through WISdom in search of information and explanation about the technical aspects of my new Mido Multifort Automatic Chronograph led me to the firm opinion that it is both beautiful and one of the best mechanical 7750s available!

    My Mido Multifort Automatic Chronograph has kept superb time in the week that I have owned it at ±2 seconds per day. The pushers are smooth and operate with crisp let off. The crown turns and threads easily. The deployant, my first butterfly, is firm and locks with authority. The strap is well padded near the watch head, which gives the strap some firmness, and tapers rapidly to an unpadded strap on the underside of the wrist. It is comfortable and best of all for me is the first and only factory strap that was long enough to wear out of the box! The mirror finish on the upper surfaces is perfect and the fit and finish is better than any watch I have ever owned (including my only long-gone Rolex). The lume lasts throughout the night and while dimmer than some of my Seikos is readable in a darkened room after sitting on the bedstand for ~8 hours. The hands are easier to read on the Champaign dial than many because they are outlined in black. The display back is one of the best features as the movement is a wonderful and mesmerizing combination of beauty and function that captivates and fascinates at the same time.

    The Mido Multifort Automatic Chronograph is one of the least well-known watches on the WIS fora and is certainly well-worth your time and effort to track down. Thanks for reading the review and a special thanks to Lysanderxiii and Mike Stuffler for all their time and effort in answering my often uninformed and naïve questions. The watches are a great part of our passion but the wonderful people who share their knowledge and passion for watches make it even more enjoyable. Thanks go Mike and Lysanderxiii and all the WIS who have helped educate me over the past couple of years!
    -Robert
    Buy what you like, keep what you love, don't spend too much.
    As long as you follow those simple rules - you shouldn't listen to anyone about your watches.


  2. #2
    Member STEVIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,165

    Re: REVIEW: Mido Multifort Automatic Chronograph

    That's a very good review indeed. Thanks for putting it up.

    I too have a Mido and find it to be very very good value for money.

    A Titanium watch had caught my eye earlier this year. I saw it again as a centerpiece in a group of models in an authorised Mido dealer. This one looked quite different for several reasons. It was a large dial watch, 42mm with no bezel which made it look bigger. The non-reflecting coated crystal extended right to the edge of the rim case which had a metal rim of only 1mm. The dial was black with prominent luminova yellow 6 12 and 9 numerals. Further yellow luminova markers were on the outer seconds marker rim at 3, 6 9 and 12 o’clock. The sweep seconds hand was orange and is not luminous. The hour and minute hands are polished metal with centre strips of green luminova. The watch case and magnificently integrated and uniquely designed bracelet didn’t gleam like polished stainless steel but was a low reflective gun metal gray, typical of Ti alloy. The case and the bracelet were made as one and did not have lugs.

    After doing the usual research on the manufacturers website www.mido.ch/ and on some watch forums around the net, I paid a second visit to this shop to examine the watch further and after arriving at an agreeable price, I bought the watch.

    Here are it’s specs:

    MANUFACTURER: Mido
    COUNTRY OF MANUFACTURE: Switzerland
    MAKE/MODEL: All Dial Chronometer - M8340.8.D8.1
    MOVEMENT: Automatic 25 jewels A/H 28,800, adjusted to 5 positions and temperature. COSC.
    FUNCTIONS: Analogue hours minutes and seconds from centre axis; day and date in window at 3 o’clock
    WATER RESISTANT: 100m (10ATM)
    CASE: Titanium with screw case back and movement display window.
    CASE DIAMETER: 42mm
    CASE THICKNESS: 10mm
    BRACELET: Titanium with two side locking buttons
    WEIGHT WITH BRACELET 80gms

    This model is not really an aqua sports watch and I would not recommend it be worn during scuba diving, but being 10ATM water resistant, one could safely swim without having to take it off.

    For some months, I had been wearing a SS Breitling Aeromarine Colt Chrono II which weighs in at 163gms with the Professional II bracelet. The Mido is less than half the weight and feels to me as though I am not wearing anything on my wrist. The bracelet is not a hair snagger or a skin pincher and it rates an easy 10/10 on a comfort level in any temperature.

    The Mido All Dial Chronometer is a uniquely clean cut looking watch. My wife thought it was designed in Denmark as it has that modernistic B & O look about it. It can be worn for most occasions and is slim enough not to catch on shirt cuffs.

    I am not a horologist, but I believe the engineering standards on this model are exemplary. I read somewhere that the ETA movement has been specially modified by Mido. I am optimistic that I will have many years of trouble free use from mine. I believe that the Mido All Dial Ti chronometer with a full 24 month factory warranty, provides excellent value for money at around US$1300.







  3. #3
    Member Tragic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    13,407

    Re: REVIEW: Mido Multifort Automatic Chronograph

    Excellent in-deptn review Doc and thanks for the info re: your all-dial as well Stevie!
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member Docrwm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Metro Atlanta
    Posts
    8,555

    Re: REVIEW: Mido Multifort Automatic Chronograph

    Quote Originally Posted by STEVIE View Post
    That's a very good review indeed. Thanks for putting it up.

    I too have a Mido and find it to be very very good value for money.

    A Titanium watch had caught my eye earlier this year. I saw it again as a centerpiece in a group of models in an authorised Mido dealer. This one looked quite different for several reasons. It was a large dial watch, 42mm with no bezel which made it look bigger. The non-reflecting coated crystal extended right to the edge of the rim case which had a metal rim of only 1mm. The dial was black with prominent luminova yellow 6 12 and 9 numerals. Further yellow luminova markers were on the outer seconds marker rim at 3, 6 9 and 12 o’clock. The sweep seconds hand was orange and is not luminous. The hour and minute hands are polished metal with centre strips of green luminova. The watch case and magnificently integrated and uniquely designed bracelet didn’t gleam like polished stainless steel but was a low reflective gun metal gray, typical of Ti alloy. The case and the bracelet were made as one and did not have lugs.

    After doing the usual research on the manufacturers website www.mido.ch/ and on some watch forums around the net, I paid a second visit to this shop to examine the watch further and after arriving at an agreeable price, I bought the watch.

    Here are it’s specs:

    MANUFACTURER: Mido
    COUNTRY OF MANUFACTURE: Switzerland
    MAKE/MODEL: All Dial Chronometer - M8340.8.D8.1
    MOVEMENT: Automatic 25 jewels A/H 28,800, adjusted to 5 positions and temperature. COSC.
    FUNCTIONS: Analogue hours minutes and seconds from centre axis; day and date in window at 3 o’clock
    WATER RESISTANT: 100m (10ATM)
    CASE: Titanium with screw case back and movement display window.
    CASE DIAMETER: 42mm
    CASE THICKNESS: 10mm
    BRACELET: Titanium with two side locking buttons
    WEIGHT WITH BRACELET 80gms

    This model is not really an aqua sports watch and I would not recommend it be worn during scuba diving, but being 10ATM water resistant, one could safely swim without having to take it off.

    For some months, I had been wearing a SS Breitling Aeromarine Colt Chrono II which weighs in at 163gms with the Professional II bracelet. The Mido is less than half the weight and feels to me as though I am not wearing anything on my wrist. The bracelet is not a hair snagger or a skin pincher and it rates an easy 10/10 on a comfort level in any temperature.

    The Mido All Dial Chronometer is a uniquely clean cut looking watch. My wife thought it was designed in Denmark as it has that modernistic B & O look about it. It can be worn for most occasions and is slim enough not to catch on shirt cuffs.

    I am not a horologist, but I believe the engineering standards on this model are exemplary. I read somewhere that the ETA movement has been specially modified by Mido. I am optimistic that I will have many years of trouble free use from mine. I believe that the Mido All Dial Ti chronometer with a full 24 month factory warranty, provides excellent value for money at around US$1300.





    Stevie,

    Thanks for the compliment and let me return it - very nice review on the All Dial! I wish there were a Mido dealer anywhere near me where I could go and look and try on the watches myself! I went to Tourneau, something I loath frankly, the other day here in Atlanta and they carry many watches VC, PP, etc. at the highest end, many luxury watches, some I have never heard of, h*ll they even carry Invicta??? but no Mido? The All Dial is one watch that I was hoping to try on and see for myself. I appreciate your review and the beautiful pictures.

    -Robert
    -Robert
    Buy what you like, keep what you love, don't spend too much.
    As long as you follow those simple rules - you shouldn't listen to anyone about your watches.


  6. #5
    Moderator leewmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    5,063

    Re: REVIEW: Mido Multifort Automatic Chronograph

    I wish you guys would stop doing this... tantalizing me with your new watches. My wish list just keeps getting longer and longer.

    Mido is an under-appreciated brand here in the US and as such can often be had at bargain prices. When I lived in Asia, Mido was a reasonably popular brand and they were easily found in Singapore and Hong Kong. Unfortunately at that time I wasn't much of a WIS so I didn't really pay much attention to them.
    Lee Meister
    Moderator - Tissot & Affordables
    Houston, Texas

    What a long, strange trip it's been... - The Grateful Dead

  7. #6
    Member Docrwm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Metro Atlanta
    Posts
    8,555

    Re: REVIEW: Mido Multifort Automatic Chronograph

    Quote Originally Posted by leewmeister View Post
    I wish you guys would stop doing this... tantalizing me with your new watches. My wish list just keeps getting longer and longer.

    Mido is an under-appreciated brand here in the US and as such can often be had at bargain prices. When I lived in Asia, Mido was a reasonably popular brand and they were easily found in Singapore and Hong Kong. Unfortunately at that time I wasn't much of a WIS so I didn't really pay much attention to them.
    Well Lee, I guess I've become an "Enabler" like some I could name

    I can't say I am fond of all the designs from Mido but there are several that are different enough while still being conservative enough for my tastes that I am intrigued. Add to that the decidedly upscale tech-specs as I discovered and I agree that it is "under-appreciated". The real problem is that I can't find an AD and their distribution is terrible in the US.
    -Robert
    Buy what you like, keep what you love, don't spend too much.
    As long as you follow those simple rules - you shouldn't listen to anyone about your watches.


  8. #7
    Member KenC's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,371

    Re: REVIEW: Mido Multifort Automatic Chronograph

    Quote Originally Posted by Docrwm View Post
    Well Lee, I guess I've become an "Enabler" like some I could name

    I can't say I am fond of all the designs from Mido but there are several that are different enough while still being conservative enough for my tastes that I am intrigued. Add to that the decidedly upscale tech-specs as I discovered and I agree that it is "under-appreciated". The real problem is that I can't find an AD and their distribution is terrible in the US.
    Some?......SOME?
    "Find the little bastards......and then pile on!" Maj Gen George S Patton IV



    Honored & Proud Member, "G5" (Disdained by the intellectually dishonest!)

  9. #8
    Member Docrwm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Metro Atlanta
    Posts
    8,555

    Re: REVIEW: Mido Multifort Automatic Chronograph

    Quote Originally Posted by KenC View Post
    Some?......SOME?
    9G-600, V7, Gruen Swiss 2824, and now possibly Mido? Guess I'm an enabler.

    Hi, My name is Robert and I'm an Enabler........

    Come on Ken, you can say it......
    -Robert
    Buy what you like, keep what you love, don't spend too much.
    As long as you follow those simple rules - you shouldn't listen to anyone about your watches.


  10. #9
    Member thodgins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    2,909

    Re: REVIEW: Mido Multifort Automatic Chronograph

    Thank you for the great review. I totally agree that Mido is one of the most overlooked brands within Swatch. I think they have some great looking watches.

    Thank you for the technical review as well. I really appreciated that. I learn something new everyday.
    ToddH

    "The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." Albert Einstein




  11. #10
    Member Docrwm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Metro Atlanta
    Posts
    8,555

    Re: REVIEW: Mido Multifort Automatic Chronograph

    Quote Originally Posted by thodgins View Post
    Thank you for the great review. I totally agree that Mido is one of the most overlooked brands within Swatch. I think they have some great looking watches.

    Thank you for the technical review as well. I really appreciated that. I learn something new everyday.
    Todd - thanks for the compliment but as I said in the piece: I really appreciate all the information, assists, and help from the WIS community. Its amazing to me how helpful the regular guys of WUS and TZ-UK are (particularly in comparison to some of the "Higher-End" watch fora)!
    -Robert
    Buy what you like, keep what you love, don't spend too much.
    As long as you follow those simple rules - you shouldn't listen to anyone about your watches.


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. What camera is best for those close-up pics?
      By Master of G in forum Casio G-Shock
      Replies: 35
      Last Post: July 23rd, 2007, 22:37
    2. New Arrival - Mido Multifort Automatic Chronograph
      By Docrwm in forum Affordable watches
      Replies: 19
      Last Post: January 19th, 2007, 18:57
    3. FSOT: Never Worn Ernst Benz Chronolunar Automatic Chronograph Triple Date Moonphase
      By robrobin in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: September 12th, 2006, 04:12
    4. FSOT: Ernst Benz 47mm Chronoscope Automatic Chronograph
      By robrobin in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: September 6th, 2006, 22:02
    5. FS: BNIB White Chanel J12 Chronograph Automatic
      By LuxuryBazaar in forum Watches - Dealers and Manufacturers
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: February 25th, 2006, 20:12

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •